Originally Posted By: charlie
I wasn't aware of the vegetarian diet of Adam and Eve. So now if there was no death and no carnivorous diet there must have been no reproduction either right? Otherwise overpopulation would occur. What about the design of carnivorous teeth and digestive systems? Did God reengineer all that or did God know from the beginning that Adam and Eve would fail and death and carnivorous behavior were inevitable and designed us that way? Are these answers in the Bible? I am serious, I do believe in God so these questions are not meant to be taken as belittling anyone's beliefs.

Originally Posted By: Flyway
Originally Posted By: charlie
I understand that to be human death or death of a being with a soul. Animals die in order to feed and clothe humans, a totally different situation.

Why would they need to be clothed and fed by animals before the fall? They were naked and didn't eat meat.

Those are legitimate questions. Here's what I'm sure of:
Genesis 1:24 tells us that God's planned for the animals to reproduce. Genesis 1:28 tells us that God planned for humans to reproduce.
Genesis 1:29-30 says that God gave plants and fruit bearing trees to humans and animals for food.

Here's what I deduce (my own personal opinion):
I have no idea what God's plan for population control was had sin never entered the world.

I believe that either God created man and animal with the physical characteristics needed for a carnivorous diet (if you listen to some vegetarians they'll say that man doesn't have carnivorous teeth now), or that the physical characteristics needed for the carnivorous diet came about through micro evolution. I think it's possible that Cain and his descendants might have been the first people to eat animals based on the curse God placed on him because he killed his brother. Genesis 4:12 tells us that part of his curse was that the ground would no longer yield good crops for Cain. It also says that he would be a homeless wanderer which tells me he would not have a place to establish a farm on which to grow crops.

I'm no theologian, and these definitely aren't Heaven and Hell issues, but they're fun to discuss, ponder, and hear the different ideas others have based on their reading of the same text.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! - Patrick Henry