Originally Posted By: CNC
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Seems like you're adding just enough lime to sustain the current levels, but not enough to raise it.

I added what the soil test called for a year ago….actually more because the truck showed up with closer to 5 tons. I waited 6-7 months and tested and my pH and Ca were both on a sharp climb upward. Now I’ve tested 6-7 months after that and I’m planning to make adjustments as needed. I don’t see how I could have done it whole lot differently other than just brought in more lime blindly this spring. One thing to consider too is that my OM% is on a steep climb in these first few years and that means my nutrient holding capacity is also on the rise. So as my ability to hold more Ca goes up then it requires filling the bucket on up to balance things out between the positives and the negatives. Even when I get my Ca up to 1200 lbs per acre….if my OM% is still going up and my holding capacity is still climbing….then I will still add more lime at that time as well because then the balancing point may be 1600 lbs/ac or 1700 lbs acre. The idea though is that we are getting more fertile and more fertile along the way. Having 2000 lbs of Ca per acre available to your plants is a whole lot different than having 300-400 lbs. This is all dependant though on which direction you are going with your organic matter…..increasing or decreasing.

Would it not stand to reason that your nutrient level could be increasing because they aren't as available to the plants due to low ph?

83% of all statistics are made up.