Originally Posted By: CNC
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
How often do you fertilize and how much do you put out? Have you done your soil test recently?

I’ve been adding 50 lbs/ac of 33-0-0 about every 3 months. I added a bag at fall planting last year…..one around Christmas…….one during March when the rye started actively growing…..and now I’ll likely add one more around mid June when my summer crop gets up a little better. My soil is really sandy with a low CEC so its better to throw out smaller amounts more often anyways.

On the other nutrients I just go by the soil test. Yes I just got my soil tested a couple weeks ago. Not really a whole lot of change from last fall. My Ca was still rising slightly from last fall's test. It was up another 50 lbs/ac. Lime added 15 months ago. The K had fallen off from 210 lbs to 155 lbs but the test still didn’t call for adding any. The P was slightly low so I went ahead and mixed in 50 lbs of 0-46-0 with the seed I threw out. The crazy thing was that even though my Ca was still rising….my pH had actually dropped slightly. Still in the mid 5’s. The test was calling for adding another ton of lime. I’ll may mow at some point this summer and double crop the biomass. If I do I may throw out a little palletized lime mixed with 50 lbs of 0-0-60……positively + charged ions. My test will most likely call for K later this fall anyways.

Dang, your ph is pretty low. That's what ours was 3 seasons ago. We had never limed before. We added lime and brought it up to 7. It's stayed that way for 2 years. This will be the third year, but I haven't sent in a soil test, yet. I have to let our plots dry out, first.

83% of all statistics are made up.