I apologize cullbuck, I overlooked your original post earlier.
I am not for increasing the total tax burden on we the people.
Something to consider though, It is a fact that Alabama has one of the least property tax burdens in the USA. We are consistently in the top five and if you were to look at current use (forestry and Ag land) we rank even higher. Vast tracts of our land in this great State is taxed at extremely low milage rates. I made my original statement based on that fact and that the State could ease the burden on most of its citizens and transfe that burden to current use property taxes. Upon further reflection, I realize now that it was silly of me to think that the State would lower any taxes if others were raised. Below is an old article I found that speaks to the States property tax issue better than I can here.

http://www.al.com/specialreport/birminghamnews/index.ssf?blackbelt/blackbelt14.html
Note: this article was written for a different purpose than I am using for and I don't necessarily agree with all of the conclusions drawn in it. I am just using it to reference how our state land tax system works and the lower income that is generated from our Ag and timber land as opposed to most of the rest of the country. I feel it does a good job highlighting the issues there.