Originally Posted By: CNC
Originally Posted By: DMC
I talked with CNC a year or so ago and got some advice on his methods. Convincing my dad that a disc wasnt necessary has been hard. The compromise was that a few of my fields were zero discing. Some of the fields were planted traditionally with discing the heck out of them. Some were kind of a hybrid between the two. The finished product from all 3 have been very similar. If anything we had better luck establishing the throw and mow at first. We planted and got very little rain if any for the first several weeks. The throw and mow held its own moisture better and got a head start.

Again we saw really no difference in the final product. Deer and turkeys keep them all mowed down regardless of how it was planted. You can tell a difference walking through them though. The traditional fields are much harder and uneven. The surface also dries out much quicker.

After saying all of that, i have no plans of discing again. Just not worth the extra time and effort for a field for a deer or turkey to eat of. Especially if they are going to feed in the field regardless of how i plant it. If i was a farmer i am sure my planting method would be a good bit different from what i would use to plant a food plot.

That’s awesome man!……The hardest part is behind you now. A year from now I think you’ll really be smiling as your OM builds and conditions continue to improve. Keep us updated. smile

Yep. i think i may even have him convinced to cut it down to a hybrid between the two styles for his half while i do pure throw n mow on my half. Will be planting buckwheat and sunn hemp this year for the first time in our 2 big fields. Should work well.

Also went no till for my garden this year. Was mainly from laziness/lack of a tiller. Threw a bunch of leaves and clippings in there and let it grow all winter. sprayed it a week ago and stuck seed in the dirt and left all the crap on top of it. If it grows decent i will not be tilling the garden again anytime soon. soil had pretty much no organic material in it. It really needed this.