Originally Posted By: Blong
So why do any states have limits on gobblers? If it doesn't affect our population, I'm all for it!

A good question! But a better one is why would any state allow the killing of hens? Common sense tells you that's gonna affect the population to some extent. You can't have too many turkeys, and turkeys are always gonna go thru cycles. Some of the counties in TN that allow a hunter to kill 6 hens a day have way fewer turkeys than many counties in AL. And now they are finally starting to have meetings and trying to figure out why the turkey population is declining.

I believe we do need seasons and limits on gobblers. You gotta make sure there are enough gobblers to breed the hens. And I personally don't want to see the gobblers all but shot out every year. I like the one a day limit, because its enforceable, and its no greater thrill to kill 2 gobblers than it is 1. But the harvest is primarily controlled by the length of the season. If you need to lower the harvest, shorten the season.

All of what I'm saying applies only to the southeast. It might be possible to kill every last one of those stupid rios they have in the midwest.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.