Originally Posted By: turkey247
This is the third time recently a thread about population or limits caused somone to bash timber companies (harvesting, pine plantations, etc.).

I've grown weary of it. Here's my last thought.

Did turkey populations rise from the 60s to the 90s in AL?

Did harvesting and forest products demand also rise during that time?

We know the answer to both, but some just don't want it to make sense. Because their favorite pretty patch of timber to call a turkey in the spring was gone.

All Ive wanted to do in each thread was to make you think about it. To stop guessing about perceived population declines and playing the blame game to an industry that is an easy target.

So now I will retire my thoughts, throw another piece of metal in the fireplace, enjoy the comfort of my plastic house, grab a glass for my evening drink straight from my carbon fiber cabinets, and try not to pass out on my beautiful new aluminum flooring. In addition, I prayed this morning at church for the sins of the forest products industry.

I'm out.

before you go... Does the fact that common timber practices eliminate habitat during certain stages of growth hurt or help the turkeys? Lets throw a dart and say that at any given time 25-40% of timberland is unusable to turkeys. If that is the case, how is an automatic loss in habit outweighed by a tree plantation that offers no benefit at anytime except for a roosting site, or nesting site?