Originally Posted By: AU_trout_bum
I do agree that just sitting in a ground blind over decoys doesn't require much skill in the way of calling or woodsmanship. My only point is that fanning is on the same level, in my opinion. I don't think using fans or strutter decoys to kill turkeys requires a good knowledge of terrain or sneaking. Just like using decoys and sitting, it requires you to know where turkeys are and using their sexual aggression to deter their normal waryness. I've seen people almost stand up on two legs walking to a turkey with a fan and the turkey still charges them.

The truth is, if you think you're mastered turkey hunting, you may want to re-evaluate. I firmly believe no one will ever master turkey hunting. You may be good at it, but you never know enough to where you can't learn something new.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

I completely agree with the last paragraph. Anyone on here who thinks they have mastered turkey hunting hasn't been doing it long enough.

I will always take a hen decoy in my vest every hunt I go. Depending on the birds I am hunting on my turkey lease (I have had for 15 yrs) determines if I will turn to using my decoy. If hunting a field bird and he hears calling and sees nothing in the field I believe that will spook him more than little calling and a decoy.

Saying using a decoy is not hunting is ignorant. You never know how it will hurt or help you on any given day even if you have hunted the bird all year and you think you know what he is going to do.

Has nothing to do with turkey hunting, but the last weekend of duck season in Arkansas me and 5 other buddies went into the most famous public land(been hunting all year with decoys) and killed 6 limits of mallards with no decoys by just kicking water and strategic calling. Birds were sitting on the water before we would even shoot. They were used to being shot at while landing into dozens of decoys and mojos. Point is im sure other people there limited out with decoys. Their is a strategic way to go about killing certain animals like ducks and turkeys,, and saying a legal practice is not hunting is ridiculous.

Last edited by jrs0050; 02/04/15 01:27 PM.