Originally Posted By: 59Hunter
Originally Posted By: Blessed
Take a tractor with a bucket get someone in it take a pole saw and cut limbs off as high as you can this allows sunlight to reach the forest floor as increases growth , great for deer and turkeys .

If you own the property, I'd be careful if this is a lease
It's owned. I am open to all options, but I still don't think fire is an option as the guy who hunts turkey would probably have a fit.

I had already considered planting small greenfields in between the rows of pines. In some of the bottoms you can easily see 150 yards down a lane of pines from ridge top to ridge top, so I think a few long and skinny greenfields are in order. This is a great solution because every single logging landing is less than 20-30 yards off of a public road and I really did not want to put forth the effort to planting greenfields that poachers would be using while I wasn't there. I can plant a pine lane or three that is very secluded.

There is currently a decent amount of sunlight that hits the forest floor and I could literally spend as much time as I could give cutting limbs with a limb saw. I'll let the loggers do that next time they come back, which should be in about 4-5 years.

I can disk in between the pines as well, but I think I will need to bush hog first to destroy the volunteer hardwoods. Whats the verdict on bush hogging the old skidder roads? Leave the old sage grass and briars for cover or try to stimulate new growth with a bush hog or disk? The deer walk in between the pines currently and don't seem to use the old skidder roads at all.