Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Originally Posted By: CNC
Originally Posted By: jacannon
For years I have bought a pallet of Abruzzi or elbon rye. This will plant 20 acres. I top seed with 4 or 5 types of clover after the rye gets up good and hopefully just before a rain. This year I wasn't able to plant the clover, but there was enough clover seed in my seed bank that I got a good stand of clover coming up anyway. Rye seed cost more than oats or wheat. The savings is in the fertilizer and cold doesn't kill it.

Yeah, cereal rye doesn't have near the N requirement as wheat. Its actually grown as a cover crop using no N. When you plant it in a food plot, grazing pressure is one of the things to consider when deciding how much N to feed it. It can grow without any but if you have a lot of deer eating on it....then you may want to step on the gas just a little. On the other hand, if you have a large acreage field or you don't have a high deer density, etc....then you can cut back on the amount of N you give it. Maybe to none at all. You don't want it to grow so fast that gets way ahead of browsing pressure and bolts....getting long and stemmy.

Cereal rye is also the fastest growing cereal grain and grows and lower temps than other cereal grains. This makes a difference when your trying to keep up with grazing pressure. The water oaks out here are literally raining acorns like I've never seen. Its really helped to take some of the pressure of my plot so far.

2Dogs......I know that you said you like it thick. Is this getting more to your liking? grin

You'd have them just as thick with half the amount of seed if you'd hook the disk up.

popcorn

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14