My throw and mow plot survived the drought we had here south bama and is now thriving. I thought I would post up a couple of updated pics. Again, this plot was planted by doing nothing more than broadcasting seed into standing thatch and then mowing the thatch to cover the seed.

The benefits of doing it is this way are many. It improves the organic matter content, which in turn improves your nutrient and water holding capacity. This is major for those with sandy soils. It improves water infiltration and allows your plot to take advantage of all the rain we receive instead of having large amounts “run-off”. It improves moisture retention by creating a blanket over the soil, which keeps the soil moisture from evaporating. It regulates soil temperatures and keeps the soil from having wide daily temperature swings up and down, which is needed for optimal plant growth. It improves the microbial activity in the soil, which is vital for optimal plant function. It also saves a lot of time, labor, and $$$$.

We dont rent pigs