Picking your battles is important. For me, it wasn't a battle, just a simple rule...no flat billed hats. A battle is when parents say one thing and the child battles you and doesn't want to accept the rule. My kids want flat billed hats, but we aren't going there. If they want to have less curve in their caps, that's fine...but I can't stand that flat billed look.

Today's modern flat brimmed cap are different that old school caps with yet to be shaped brims. Today they are designed that way to be and stay flat...brim is wide where it connects to the cap part. Made wildly popular in black thug culture. Inner city recognition was you were in the money if you had a new cap...all caps came with flat bills because they hadn't been shaped yet...keeping it flat and keeping tags on it was a sign of having money. What became popular in that culture has crossed over into all cultures.

Old school hats you had options on amount of curve from hardly any to a "U"---which also looks stupid. You know the kind whee the bill edge almost meets in the middle? Guess what, that would be banned at my house too.

For my kids, one exception: if you play baseball and your uniform hat is flat billed. I don't care for it really, but ain't much wrong with a ball player wearing a team flat bill. Looks much better than flat bills as fashion accessories...for sure.

I don't get too worked up over fashion, just a few basic rules. I don't mind baseball caps on backwards, but not out in public (out to eat, mall, out and about, etc...). At home, playing ball in the yard, no problem. But one thing I made a rule a long time ago was flat billed hats. No issues with my boys over it either, they know the rule and know they can express themselves and their identity in other ways just fine.

Last edited by straycat; 09/29/14 08:20 AM.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams