Corn seems to do well to help get deer coming to a location. I think if you get a deer used to something they will sometimes leave other food alone. We feed sweet potatoes and once they get started on them they seem to love them. It usually takes a while to get them started though, especially in the summer. We've quit trying to feed stuff like that in the summer though. There is so much natural food available many times they just don't get eaten and rot. I've had sweet feed and corn beside a sweet potato pile before and the corn set there so long it started growing and the sweet feed got hard and started molding. All the time the sweet potatoes were getting eat. As far as salt and minerals. I've found they do better if you get them in the ground well before the summer. I don't know if it helps that they have had time to get in the ground or what. Location seems to be really key also. We started 2 new sites this year and one is doing really well. The other hasn't had anything to it from what I can tell. I've had a camera over it the last 2 weeks and didn't have 1 picture. The one that hasn't had anything to it I thought would do the best. Its not far from a greenfield it has a a good natural spring close to it and in a thick place thats grown up in pines. We also dropped a site that we had started last year. Thought it would be a great spot especially for bucks. All summer with a camera over it and not one buck.