The NVA attacked again. The machine gun next to me stopped the charge but this time they had come much closer. A parachute flare lit up the night. I saw the machine gun position clearly. One man was dead and lying to the rear outside the position. The assistant gunner had a bandage over both eyes and was feeding the ammunition by feel. The gunner, a kid named Harris from South Georgia, had been wounded in the right arm. It hung useless by his side. I couldn’t help Ken and if the machine gun were taken out then the NVA would over run the entire perimeter. It was the only position left at the bottom of the hill. As I stood to crawl out of my foxhole a RPG flashed and hit the machine position. The assistant gunner was blown out of the hole. I crawled over and slid in. The gunner was hit in several places but said he could still feed the gun. I set up the M60 and linked up a few hundred rounds of ammo. The NVA attacked again. Mortar rounds slammed into the perimeter, RPGs flashed, and AK and machine gun tracers laced the night. I opened up with the gun and was putting a steady stream of fire into the charging NVA. A grenade or something exploded, the gunner was hit again. I had dirt blown into my eyes and the gun jammed. The gunner was slumped in the bottom of the hole. I tried to find my rifle and was grasping around the bottom of the hole when from the dark two men leaped into the machine gun position.