The LPs (listening posts) were sent out as soon as it was completely dark. Four teams of three men, each with a radio, crawled through the lines and into the jungle. I had been on several LPs, this was one night I was glad it wasn’t my turn. There was no moon. It might have been an hour or so when the first LP alerted that they had definite enemy movement. The other three posts also alerted with a few minutes. We were surrounded. A grenade blast and burst of M16 fire, then several AKs opening up from within the jungle meant the discovery of one of the LPs. NVA were heard talking on the LP’s radio. All three men were found dead the next morning. The CO called the other LPs in. Two made it, the third, commanded by a nineteen year old from New York, realized that NVA had got between him and the company. Instead of trying to move back to the company he took the two men with him and crawled fifty yards or so away from the perimeter. He found a depression in the jungle and holed up. NVA passed with ten feet of him several times that evening. Our artillery wounded one of them, but they all returned the next morning.