Originally Posted By: bamarich

While I appreciate your appeal for unity, the idea of "core essentials" cannot be found in Scripture. 1 Corinthians 1:10 claims followers of Christ must be agreed... that we must be united... that we must believe and speak the same thing. Ephesians 4:3 indicates that it doesn't come naturally - rather, we must make this an endeavor - something to be striving towards. Nothing, however, in those discussions lead a person to conclude there are only a few issues that must be agreed upon. Because people refuse to be unified, many people tell us today that everyone agreeing to lists like the one above (or a creed) must be OK... which leads to a watering down of what Jesus said in places like Matthew 5:19 and Matthew 28:20.

I disagree. How's that for unity grin I get what you are saying so let me try to clarify in case that helps you see from my perspective.

The Gospel is the fullness of the core essentials of Christianity. Those elements I listed are all part of the Gospel message. The Gospel by its very nature defines who God is, who Christ is, their very nature and attributes. The Gospel defines salvation and the work of the cross. The Gospel, and its inherent elements, is the core essential. If one or more of those 8 core elements are missing, then that takes away from the Gospel message.

The Law of Christ is Love. That is what we are to keep in fullness. And if something other than that is taught or put into a list, then it is surely watered down and useless. It would naturally conflict with the Gospel and by default those core essentials.

It is on this (the Gospel) there should be full unity, but as you correctly stated there often is not.

Last edited by straycat; 07/22/14 12:09 PM.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams