I've been deer hunting for at least 40 years. And at least some significant portion of that time I have hunted in agriculture lands with small wood lots and drains and fence rows where there are not a lot of trees spread out over a large area. That cuts down on where to look and watch what the deer are actually doing. I have also been running trail cameras in those type places since they were white flash.

I have seen a lot of rubs like this. I have seen a lot of deer come by them and rub them. Small bucks, sure. I have seen a lot of much smaller rubs along trails or in a small area too. I have also seen a lot of spikes and small bucks walk past and rub those as well.

I might investigate a little further if I saw this in the woods. I certainly would not blow it off OR convince myself it was done by a spike. You can look at the rub a lot of times and tell what is going on. I noticed one like this years ago and had some cuts higher on the tree. That was a sticker off a very long G2. The wider the tree you can sometimes see how big a deer. The length or height of a smaller rub sometimes tells the tale and how it looks up higher where the G2's are hitting the tree.

For a big deer you will be able to see this. Like an expert in tracking you have to visualize the details that are almost not noticed if that makes sense.

Last edited by Goatkiller; 01/31/23 11:10 AM.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.