Originally Posted by Lockjaw
If you are using a climber, make sure you get up 35 feet or so. That helps alot. I rarely get winded when I am that high up.

Couple things I have noticed. In every single club I have been in, there are places the guys won't go hunt. Guess where the deer go? Where they don't go. I have set up on places and watched them drive by and laughed, because I would see deer there. Guy on our lease killed a deer within 50 yards of our sign in, on a field I made, before we had to move the sign in. Saw a buck there too. At the end of deer season last year. No body sits there. Ever.

Something I discovered last year that might help. Noticed this during the rut. I had a cell camera set up, sort of off to the side of a couple different pine thickets. There were 2 hardwood fingers with a very small creek in them, and the deer used these fingers alot, because I had pic's of them. But when a buck came thru, I always checked the huntstand app to see which way the wind was blowing. 9 times out of 10, the buck came in with the wind at his butt. What I learned was he was coming in to get downwind of the pine thickets to scent check them. Often this happened later in the morning too, when other hunters were long gone.

I watched a buck come out of a pine thicket yesterday morning on our lease. Southeast wind. He was headed northwest. I was in a climber right off the road too. Right by a road into one of our stand sites. He went behind where our stand site is. So if you can set up downwind of a pine thicket you know deer bed in, and get more downwind than a buck, watch the upwind side and see if you don't see one come in there scent checking it.

Are you scent free on the days you go to work and leave and hunt?

Great info. I am as scent free as i can be. I wash my clothes in the scent killer detergent then putem in a sealed plastic bag. I use camo dust before i head to the stand