Originally Posted by Goatkiller
We've been doing some hunting down around Lake Charles Louisiana and we've had some birds. They (locals) think there are NO birds because they can't go out there, throw out 2 dozen decoys from Academy in a mud hole and start shooting.

We've had to "work" a little harder for them. Like put out 3 dozen instead of 2 and add a jerk string. rolleyes I'm just thinking... "y'all boys never duck hunted in Alabama much have you?". All they want to talk to me about is coming up here and blasting some deer.

Don't rule it out the drive isn't horrible and the weather is mild. I know there are several groups down there that guide if you need more info just PM me.

Nobody has mentioned going to Reelfoot and that's probably good advice. Our blind numbers are way down and have been for several years. Here today.. gone tomorrow. No consistency for more than 2-3 days at a time then lull for several days then back into the birds. Repeat on the next front. Not bad for a single hunter but not good for taking clients who have been coming for years and remember when we use to put up 30+ per day every day. Some days were are down to something like 12 in a blind that could shoot 12-14 people. There... you ride the hole. Every day all season long. You can't move the blind so it's out of your control.

I think you will find the same in Arkansas and SE Missouri which is just across the river. Everything has to do with hunting pressure in those situations and those places. You really need to go with someone that has enough property or holes they can put you on a place that hasn't been hunted in a week, etc.

There are days that there will be birds moving around early in the season but overall duck hunting SUCKS in our area now. I'm 35 miles SW of Lake Charles and it's nothing but rice fields and marshes and other than a few specklebellies, spoonbills, gadwalls and the occasional teal and pintail there was really no ducks to be found in our area. All the best hunting camps in the best marshes were getting shut out many mornings this year. That's just unheard of. Duck hunting in SW La is like deer and turkey hunting here in Alabama. Every field or pothole in the marsh has a blind in it that someone paid high dollars for and they're hunted everyday. Ducks are big business in La.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chews your a$$ all day long.