P,K, and Ca are nutrients I try to keep running within good to optimum levels throughout the year. I don’t till and have built up pretty good holding capacity in my soil so I can get away with only adding P every 1-2 years now and K about every 10-12 months in order to bump those levels back up. The Ca or lime is has held for a few years. I'm just watching tests to see how many years before needing more.

Nitrogen is a little different than those other nutrients. I usually add a little bit at planting to help compensate for biomass tie up and then come back about 6-8 weeks later with a heavier application to really boost growth through the last part of hunting season. If you’re struggling to put out any growth in your plot then you can come back with N applications ever 7-8 weeks during spring and summer as well….although I don’t do that anymore. It seems like I have enough organic N in my soil now combined with the clover N credits that natural summer veg looks healthy.

How well your plot does or doesn't hold these nutrients is completely dependent on your soil type along with your management practices.

Last edited by CNC; 10/12/18 07:55 AM.

We dont rent pigs