Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I somewhat disagree on the calling too much is a bad thing....

If ya know you are fooling with an old bad bird then way less is better, sometimes a single cluck. I killed an old gobbler near Leeds several years ago. He would gobble off the roost and if you yelped to him he shut up and move away. I caught him one morning just right, he was gobbling every minute er so. I waited till a plane came over and clucked once. He shut up. Started gobbling again in ten minutes. I shut the hell up. An hour later he walked up to 25 yards and I killed him with a very old Stevens 12 ga double.

Now for the disagree part...IF you are good with a call and IF the bird is a two year old then one ALMOST cannot screw it up by calling too much. And I like to call and two year olds like a lot of calling....

troy

When I talk about rookies calling too much, I'm talking about people who can't call very well who still call a whole lot. I believe that anyone just starting out should be taught to call sparingly. And as Longspur said, when you get a little experience and can learn to take the temp of the gobbler, you can increase your calling.

I've found the only time I can get away with a lot of loud and aggressive calling is the first week of the season. After that, all the stupid ones are dead. I love to call aggressively, but it usually doesn't work very deep into the season where I hunt. One reason I enjoy trips to the midwest is that those turkeys seem to like aggressive calling.

But wherever and whenever I hunt, I try to never forget Rule No. 1 - Don't scare the turkey. Don't scare him by calling too much, getting too close to his tree, making too much noise, bumping him walking out, or any other way. Avoid scaring him and you can probably kill him.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.