WHERE you hunt can effect HOW you hunt. I usually don't owl hoot or crow call right out of the truck. I like to give them a chance to do it on their own, especially on public land. I roosted some turkeys one afternoon, got in on them the next morning before daylight. I heard a jeep pull up to a popular listening location and my heart sank. I thought I was going to have to share this turkey hunt. The guy owl hooted and crow called for about 5 minutes and drove off. Another hunter was doing the same thing from another direction. I heard him crank his truck and drive off. No sooner than they'd gone out of hearing the turkey started gobbling like he was behind schedule. I never killed him but had fun playing the game. However, on private property where I have a better idea of what turkeys have been exposed to, I don't hesitate to owl or crow call early.

On public land, I want a turkey to gobble as little as possible to keep from attracting other hunters. On private property, I'll call just to hear him gobble, , , for a little while at least.

On public land or in a club, I might hunt a bird more aggressively (considering I might never get another chance at him). On private land, I won't use a lot of different calls at one sitting. If he ends up getting spooked, I'll come back next time with a call he hasn't heard yet.