I've got an uncle that has a lot of hearing loss and he has never heard a turkey drum. 3toe, have you ever had a hearing test? I would suspect that your low-pitched hearing is severely damaged. I can't hear high-pitched sounds, but fortunately still hear the rest of the spectrum ok. I can't tell that my "turkey hearing" has gotten any worse thru the years, and I've heard turkeys drumming further than what the experts say is possible.

I was marking timber this afternoon on the side of a ridge and heard a jake yelping in the hollow below me, maybe 150 yds away. I didn't have any kind of call with me, and then I remembered my phone has a turkey call app. Its not very loud, but I gave him a couple of kee-kee series, and a few gobbles and went back to painting. He didn't answer, but about 30 seconds later he came up the hill on a dead run. At least he had enough sense to fly when he saw my orange cap. And some people find it "sporting" to call them up and murder them in the fall. Some even shoot the hens. wink

>>>Me and YEKRUT don't see eye to eye on many things<<<

I can't imagine that anyone could disagree with Yekrut on anything.

Well, maybe them Amish women he likes aren't that appealing to most folks. wink

I just realized I better delete that app from my phone before turkey season, or I would be guilty of hunting while in possession of an electronic call.

I have been rambling a lot with this post and added nothing to the original question, so I will tell everyone to just remember Rule No. 1 - don't scare the turkey. If you don't scare him off, you have a good chance to kill him. If you scare him off, its all over.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.