Thanks for bringing drumming up. It is something I didn't think of either. There have been a few birds that I have killed over the years that I never heard gobble and might not have gobbled for a few hours on their own or I just couldn't hear them. On a few occasions I was just walking through the woods and heard drumming, sat down, and made a call and game over. If you can hear drumming it can really help when the bird gets close, BUT it is hard as heck to pinpoint in the woods sometimes. I have found that even when they are strutting that some birds drum when coming in, some don't, some seem much louder than others also. It seems like the older birds can really make it ring loud when they drum and younger birds are not as loud. Might just be me, but that is the way I have found it to be anyways. If and when I hear drumming I know it is time to flip the safety off and get the cheek on the stock because something is about to happen because he is 100 yards or closer.

Scratching is a great "call" too. Until about 5 years ago I never used it and then started using it sometimes and like someone said above it does work. Like longspur said, make it sound like the rhythm of a turkey not a dang dieing squirrel though. I usually pick up a stick and use it or my trigger finger hand.

Good stuff guys, keep it coming. Would ya'll like to see this thread get pinned to the top so new guys can read it and take something away from it? I think it would be a good idea as long as ya'll want to look at it for a while.

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters. —Archibald Rutledge—