This thread has really taken off since I last looked. There's a lot of really good advice in these words but I think the only way you really will learn is time in the woods. Memories and lessons are truly learned in the field with first hand experience more than anything you could ever read. These tips are all great to try to remember and keep in mind though.

Another thing that I think has made me a much better hunter is hunting public land. I hunted private leases and clubs for several years and did pretty well. I thought I knew a lot about turkey hunting, then I went to college and hunted public land for 5 years. I found out quick that I didn't know anything about dealing with these birds. Over those 5 years I learned a ton though and began killing birds. The last two years I killed my 3 bird MS limit on public and called a few in for friends. After that when I would get a chance to hunt private land it was much easier and I would laugh at the ways I used to hunt. Every bird is different though and I still get my tail kicked by birds more times than not. That's what makes it fun though. You learn something new every day in the turkey woods.