REALLY good advice here - all I can add is do alot of scouting/listening weeks before the season comes in. Slip down roads look for tracks (which way are they headed, strut marks, etc.) Slip up on patches, openings, go find where they roost, locate the hen "tribes" and just learn what's going on. If you find the hens you will find the gobblers. Good part is by doing this early if you get busted it won't matter as much as it would in the days before the opener. Also, alot of mornings I might hear a gobbler and if I am not in the right place I may not even attempt a hunt till the next AM when I have a better terrain and time advantage on him. I am a testament to the "Woodmanship has killed more gobblers than calling" saying but it is true. I don't have a lot of fancy calls. Its ALOT easier to kill one if you get between him and where he wants to go.

Also if you don't hear one don't quit hunting - start hitting clearcuts, patches and burn some shoe leather - at least you might learn something and get some excercise.

I also hunt alot in the afternoon - it will tell you where you need to be or NOT be the next AM.

BTW I think it is easier to call one uphill is because they know a fast escape/take-off is much easier running back downhill.

Last edited by deadeye; 12/24/11 06:09 AM.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams

He alone is educated who has learned the lessons of open-mindedness