Originally Posted By: YEKRUT
Think LIKE a turkey and ask yourself WWTD (what would turkey do)? It helps when you know what they are going to do before they even know what they are going to do. Being a good woodsman has killed way more birds than calling ever will.

I'll add a little to yekruts post regarding woodsmanship as I think this is one of, if not the most important thing for not only turkey hunting, but any hunting. But, as its related to turkey hunting, as was said "think like a turkey".

What does that mean? It's really fairly simple, although those danged ol birds can make it very hard. A turkey is like most any other animal, 99% of the time he is going to take the easiest path to you. He is not going to push through briers, wade creeks, open gates, etc. He would rather walk around an obstacle than fly, although he will fly it sometimes if the mood strikes him. For reasons only known to him most of the time he would rather walk up a hill than down it. He likes roads and wide open places, unlike a big old buck. When it rains he generally doesn't like to be in the woods where everything is wet and moving, he likes pastures and roads where he can see whats coming.

I mention all this to get to my point. It takes practice, but as you gain experience, the moment you hear that ol gobbler sound off you will immediately be able to take a mental snapshot of your surroundings and "think like turkey" when you are making your most important decisions such as setups, distance, etc. You will be able to process instantly what constitutes a possible obstacle to an incoming gobbler, which way he might be inclined to go if there are fields, roads, or rain present in the area. All of these things are what separates the experienced hunters from the beginners in my opinion. However, even if/when you are able to do these things it doesn't always guarantee success. I am walking breathing example of that.