This is what I have experienced recently.

Quote:
Over time, you will assess much of this on the go without much thought. And there will be, if you stick with it, years where you kill turkeys almost effortlessly. You may have great success for many years, and then you may (will) fall into a time where you can't seem to find one anywhere, not even Winn Dixie. But, if you stick with it, the time will come again when you have phenomenal seasons of great success.

I started turkey hunting many years ago on public land. To someone who had never turkey hunted or had a family member who turkey hunted it was tough going trying to teach myself. If I had been smart I would have quit during those dark years. I finally got tired of hunting public land with no success and joined my first club. Lessons learned on public land started to pay off, I suddenly started to slay turkeys. A few of them came so easy I could have banged pots and pans together and still killed them. I killed birds at 5 yds, I killed birds at 50 yds. Then, for reasons only known to the turkey gods, things got a little harder. My techniques didn't change nor did the effort I put into hunting them. Things started to even out. Year before last I had 4 killed, literally, but the gods decided to have more fun with me. Uncontrollable reasons ranged from dogs running the bird off as he was coming in to birds flying off the roost and try to land in your lap (sucks to have a red dot when they do this). Last year I hunted mostly public land and remembered why I joined a club. Also, I shot and missed a good 'un last year.

None of the above has shankened my love of the sport, even having to listen to Yekrut and N2 rib me about it. wink All I have to say is those gobbla's better look out this year, I am pumped and ready to go at them sum bucks again this year.