Unfortunately I can't take credit for this post, but it has a lot of the facts and truths of turkey hunting in a fairly short post. This is from a MS forum I frequent.

"Below is a response I typed to a new hunter. Enjoy, critque, or lambast it:

Starting out on public land may make for some degree of frustration beyond that found on a piece of property with less pressure. But then again, I have run into more people on private land than public, mostly trespassers. The biggest advantage to public land is probably the vastness of land you have to hunt in most cases.

Nevertheless, you may do well to find someone with some experience to guide you along as you get started. It isn't very complicated, but there are many nuances that cannot be readily explained without experience: How close to get to one on the roost? How do you tell how far one is from you? When should you move locations? What does "don't move!!!" really mean? When should I call? When should I shut up? What is the proper volume of speech in the woods? Is he in range? Should I cross that open field in broad daylight? (That answer is almost always "NO"). Why did he stop gobbling?

Over time, you will assess much of this on the go without much thought. And there will be, if you stick with it, years where you kill turkeys almost effortlessly. You may have great success for many years, and then you may (will) fall into a time where you can't seem to find one anywhere, not even Winn Dixie. But, if you stick with it, the time will come again when you have phenomenal seasons of great success.

And after awhile, perhaps a great many years, you will begin to give lip service to the notion that "It doesn't matter whether I kill one or not; I just love to go." For the most part, in the beginning, you will simply be lying to yourself. But even giving this idea lip service shows some level of maturity, even if it is disingenuous. This may go on for many years, and those lean years will eat at you like some sort of disease. But then one day, you will, seemingly suddenly, awaken to the true splendor that is the spring woods and the wild turkey. And you will understand, profoundly, that the killing obsession is a stopping point along the journey to becoming a turkey hunter.

Thus, it is a worthy endeavor to pursue, but it isn't always smiles and high-fives. People who shoot turkeys over corn or other illegal methods often never "get it". People who are driven by the "Look at me; I am great" attitude often don't ever "get it."

Now, having said all that, it is a wonderful feeling to call a turkey up and kill him no matter how long you have done it or how philosophical you may become about it. It is a great sport; just respect the bird you are hunting enough to go about it in a way that is legal and ethical. Good luck. "

http://bullnettlenews.com/forum/yaf_postsm298018_A-response-to-a-new-hunter.aspx#post298018