Saw this posted on FB by a processor I've used in the past. I'm certainly still a rookie, but a lot of what I have read elsewhere doesn't support some of the logic mentioned below.

"Here is a good example on why you should shoot cull bucks. This deer weighed in at 180 pounds and is estimated at 4-5 years old. It was never going to amount to a good buck and had all those years to breed does and create several generations of bad genes. If you are trying to manage your deer herd to grow bigger, better deer you have to remove the trash from the heard. Letting bucks walk that are not 8 points or better does not necessarily create bigger deer. There are a few key signs that the buck is a cull... first look at the deers body... a thick chest and neck, a sagging belly and swooped back are signs of a buck that has reached maturity. Now look for signs of bad genetics in the rack. Little or no brow tines, a poorly branched mane frame on one side, a large fork, spike, or deformed frame on the other, (Look for signs of injuries) Good mane beams with short tines, or a twisted and gnarled frame. Remember the biggest buck is not always the dominate buck in the area. One could have have mature trash bucks like the one in the picture staking claim to the land keeping the bigger bucks pushed out. A mature trash buck is just as smart as a mature 10 point with a 150 inch rack. But the buck that claims the area gets the does! And trash creates more trash!"