Well, I thought I had posted in this thread a long time ago when I signed up and stopped lurking, but apparently I did not. That said, I just wanted to say thanks for the advice guys!

I had never really been turkey hunting, even though they are pretty thick on some of my family land. I went a few times here and there, and even with guys who are very knowledgeable but never got one to the gun, though occasionally we would see one. I had the calls and a decoy when the were legalized, but never could get lucky.

Fast forward to 2012. After reading this thread and itching for an excuse to get out in the woods I set myself to trying to finally kill a gobbler. Opening day that year I laid the smack down on a big gobbler on Choccolocco WMA. Didn't really call to him, but I clicked a few times when his harem got within sight. They came to investigate and he was right behind them. When I shot he was at 20 steps and the hens were within 5 steps, which got wild when they were trying to bug out.

I called up a second one later that year on Choccolocco. He wasn't as big as the first but I knew that I got him interested and curiosity got him a face full of shot.

The advice about not calling so often and using woodsmanship rather than trying to do like they do on TV helped me kill those birds. I moved that summer and haven't been able to chase them like I want to since then. I won't be chasing them this year either as i just had to get a few screws put in my ankle due to a sports injury. But I already have the itch to get after them next year.

Theres a ton of good hunters and people on here, as well as good info. Just wanted to thank you guys for sharing some of it with us newbies. Good luck this season to all!