</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
truck
by jhix3734. 04/19/24 10:50 AM
Rem model 7 stainless 300WSM
by Thread Killer. 04/19/24 09:04 AM
Mathews lift 29.5
by Bows4evr. 04/18/24 09:53 PM
Trade or sell
by buzzbait. 04/18/24 05:07 PM
95 Ford F250 HD
by Rudy. 04/18/24 02:15 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by abolt300. 04/19/24 09:25 AM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
108 registered members (brokefixer, Ditchdigger, Duck Engr, 44MAG, TwentySeven, JAT, BamaGuitarDude, Shane99, NWFJ, IDOT, Whild_Bill, Copes, Tracker, Hoytdad10, RSF, Obsession, Rockstar007, akbejeepin, turfarmer, NVM1031, just_an_illusion, sumpter_al, brett.smith, Mbrock, skymech, BCLC, crenshawco, HHSyelper, doc bar, Jwoods32, Bulls eye, C3SEAST, Gobble4me757, Downwind, Thread Killer, Lvlhdd, RockFarmer, Fishduck, hunterturf, goodman_hunter, Mack1, Bushmaster, Six shooter, Remington270, beeline08, AUtgr, hunter84, BamaBoHunter, Nightwatchman, buzzard, coachg34, tmhrmh1, jaredhunts, AU7MM08, snakebit, Keysbowman, WPZJR, Cody Fowler, Fatboyslim, BradB, bug54, FreeStateHunter, Buckwheat, Lonster, bfoote, Turkeyhunter12, ucmducks, CNC, Antelope08, Chaser357, thayerp81, Justice, JCL, JustHunt, buck_buster, Hoof2table, Hammertime7v2, jawbone, Coosa1, longshot, mdavis, 007, IMISSALDEER, HBWALKER14, Skullworks, Turkeyneck78, WINMAG300, klay, Powers, Roondog, odocoileus, St. Clair FF, RareBreed, Solothurn, chevydude2015, CouchNapper, Driveby, Johnal3, CarbonClimber1, Big AL 76, roll_tide_hunts, Rooster600, 6 invisible), 742 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: R_H_Clark] #854890
02/09/14 03:44 PM
02/09/14 03:44 PM
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
Originally Posted By: bill

Originally Posted By: OcToBeRDrEaMiN67
The one thing I have noticed in todays society is that churches and preachers are not preaching a bloody gospel anymore.They are preaching success in life and monetary prosperity.I dont know anything about the church that has been mentioned but if it is preaching Jesus Christ crucified for our sins and risen from the dead I'm all for it.The Bible says that in the last days that we would heap ear ticklers to ourselves .Thats what is making alot of the preacher-teachers famous today is that they are telling us what we WANT to hear not what we NEED to hear.Joel Osteen is a prime example.He is a great guy I'm sure but he is preaching-teaching in the wrong direction.Just my two cents FWIW

X2. Joel Osteen , TD Jakes and Benny Hinn are preaching a prosperity gospel or name it and claim it. Very dangerous and they corrupt the Word Of God. Preaching that caters to the notion that everything is about us and that God wants to give us all kinds of worldly goods if we just submit and ask, is false and damning teaching. God doesn't promise us worldly comfort and material possessions if we follow him. In fact he says we will face persecution and hardships while we are in the world. I wouldn't want to be any of this false teachers come judgement day.

Don't be so fast to condemn any minister lest you be the one judged. There is a reason that Jesus paid the awesome price that he did and it involves a lot more than living a broken life on this earth and enduring until you die. Yes, some have corrupted the prosperity message both in teaching and in hearing but that doesn't make it any less true.

God tells us to be careful who we listen to. He tells us to study his Word so we can discern truth from false teaching. There is no doubt in my mind when comparing God's word to their teaching that they are false teachers and exactly who God was warning us against tickling our ears.

Please don't fall into the trap of misusing the verse in the Bible about judge not lest ye be judged. God isn't telling us not to judge the actions or teachings of others. He is saying that we don't have the authority to judge another's soul to heaven or hell. Judge not means not to condemn or judge another's salvation. That has to be the most misused verse in the Bible.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #854899
02/09/14 03:49 PM
02/09/14 03:49 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Bill, Some ministers don't do it for me. I still will not speak ill of them unless they were in some sort of blatant sin that needed to be revealed to protect someone else. Just look at the OT example of David and Saul, how David repented for cutting off his shirt tail even though Saul was trying to kill him.

I've heard Joel preach a couple times and while his delivery isn't my taste, I didn't hear him say anything that was just wrong. Are you sure you can say why those people go to the alter. The scripture does say that it is the goodness of God that leads men to repentance and that we shouldn't judge.

Romans 2
2 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

2 But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.

3 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #854953
02/09/14 04:13 PM
02/09/14 04:13 PM
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature
http://slaughteringthesheep.wordpress.co...an-religionist/

I can't say that those walking the aisle at a Osteen service aren't saved. I can only say with certainty that the message they are hearin from Osteen is false. God tells us we aren't too worry about what we will eat or wear because he will take care of that but he doesn't promise us worldly riches for obedience. The Word can be twisted to fit an agenda but God is very clear that we are only here for a short time and the rewards that really matter will be received in heaven. Man would have had everything he could ever want and God withheld almost nothing from Adam and Eve prior to sin. After sin we aren't promised anything more than what is necessary to live. That doesn'tmean wealth is wrong. Only that us being wealthy isn't a concern of Gods.

As to specific false doctrine that Joel Osteen teaches, John MacArthur lays it all on the table right here.

-
Bauvard
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #854972
02/09/14 04:20 PM
02/09/14 04:20 PM
opelika al
smokeandbones Offline OP
4 point
smokeandbones  Offline OP
4 point
opelika al
I had no intention of starting a debate. I just felt moved to share what a great experiance that my wife and I had today, and encourage anyone considering attending COTH to do it. I can tell you this, Jesus would have definatly been welcome in that room today.

In my OPINION one of the biggest turn offs of some of the traditional churches to me is that I get the impression if: you're not singing like we are, reading from our version of the Bible, or worshiping like we are then you're doing it wrong. And there is alot of condemnation that goes on within christianity when it comes to these things. My thinking is that if you are worshiping Jesus, singing praise to him, know that he died for all of mankinds sin and repent in him, and do your best to live your life according to his teachings, then you're doing it right. And if you're doing this in a church that you love that is what matters

I can tell you that I definatly felt his presence today and thoroughly enjoyed the service. I know that this church is turning a lot of lost souls and back sliden christians like myself around.

I will also add that the Baptist church family that I grew up in was great and full of good ole God fearing country folk, if I still lived in Lafayette I would go there. But some of the traditional churches around Opelika and Auburn are a Sunday morning meet and greet for the who's who. Im sure the message is there but I dont think im in a high enough tax bracket for some.

The world needs more people holding deer in pictures,and less people holding cameras in front of mirrors.
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #854985
02/09/14 04:25 PM
02/09/14 04:25 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
You're wrong Bill. The gospel is full of prosperity. God wants you to be wealthy, but not so that you can forget about him and have no need for him. Wealth is not an end to itself. Jesus was clear about not being able to serve two masters but you are completely wrong that God is not concerned you being blessed, both spiritually and financially. It was part of the Covenant with Abraham and we are still under that covenant.

I'm not watching your link. I won't watch anyone attack a minister.

Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #854991
02/09/14 04:27 PM
02/09/14 04:27 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: smokeandbones
I had no intention of starting a debate. I just felt moved to share what a great experiance that my wife and I had today, and encourage anyone considering attending COTH to do it. I can tell you this, Jesus would have definatly been welcome in that room today.

In my OPINION one of the biggest turn offs of some of the traditional churches to me is that I get the impression if: you're not singing like we are, reading from our version of the Bible, or worshiping like we are then you're doing it wrong. And there is alot of condemnation that goes on within christianity when it comes to these things. My thinking is that if you are worshiping Jesus, singing praise to him, know that he died for all of mankinds sin and repent in him, and do your best to live your life according to his teachings, then you're doing it right. And if you're doing this in a church that you love that is what matters

I can tell you that I definatly felt his presence today and thoroughly enjoyed the service. I know that this church is turning a lot of lost souls and back sliden christians like myself around.

I will also add that the Baptist church family that I grew up in was great and full of good ole God fearing country folk, if I still lived in Lafayette I would go there. But some of the traditional churches around Opelika and Auburn are a Sunday morning meet and greet for the who's who. Im sure the message is there but I dont think im in a high enough tax bracket for some.

Glad you enjoyed worshipping God my friend. I will remove myself from this discussion as I likely won't change any minds that are already made up. The truth is clear for all to find if they will just open their Bibles.

Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: R_H_Clark] #855012
02/09/14 04:37 PM
02/09/14 04:37 PM
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature
You're wrong Bill. The gospel is full of prosperity. God wants you to be wealthy, but not so that you can forget about him and have no need for him. Wealth is not an end to itself. Jesus was clear about not being able to serve two masters but you are completely wrong that God is not concerned you being blessed, both spiritually and financially. It was part of the Covenant with Abraham and we are still under that covenant.

I'm not watching your link. I won't watch anyone attack a minister.

SMH. The minister at Westboro Baptist appreciates your silence.

-
Bauvard
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #855060
02/09/14 04:55 PM
02/09/14 04:55 PM
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature
What does Joel Osteen promise if you will only use your words to claim it? Health , wealth, prosperity and the object of your desires. That's a very popular message and one that it's bringing thousands to his teachings. Why is it so popular? Because it is the same thing Satan promises and tempts with. When Satan had Jesus up on the mountain he looked over all the kingdoms of the earth and promised them all to Jesus if he would follow him. God promises our needs but I haven't read anything about him promising jet skis, private planes and 10 million dollar mansions. God doesn't desire us to struggle through life financially and he may even bless us with wealth but God's definition of success in our lives has nothing to do with money.

Last edited by bill; 02/09/14 04:56 PM.

-
Bauvard
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #855074
02/09/14 05:00 PM
02/09/14 05:00 PM
Blount County
BamaBart Offline
Panty Wearin' Hunter
BamaBart  Offline
Panty Wearin' Hunter
Blount County
I'm not trying to be funny but I have a question for you guys.
I'm serious.
What would you think about a minister's wife who had breast implants just to look sexy, and wears tight sweaters.

Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #855079
02/09/14 05:02 PM
02/09/14 05:02 PM
dothan
eskimo270 Offline
10 point
eskimo270  Offline
10 point
dothan
YouTube Joel Osteen and his interview with Larry King where he will not support John 14:6

Super Predator
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #855099
02/09/14 05:09 PM
02/09/14 05:09 PM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Offline
14 point
ridgestalker  Offline
14 point
R
North Jackson

Last edited by ridgestalker; 02/09/14 05:13 PM.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #855106
02/09/14 05:11 PM
02/09/14 05:11 PM
Opelika, AL
AU_trout_bum Offline
8 point
AU_trout_bum  Offline
8 point
Opelika, AL
A church of the highlands just opened up here in Madison/Huntsville. I am thinking about trying it next Sunday. I grew up Baptist, but switched to Presbyterian (PCA) while in college. What I liked about every PCA church I have been a part of, they actually teach the Bible, a common thread in reformed theology. I mean actually reading and studying scripture, not picking a verse or two and expanding a whole 30 min sermon full of stories, jokes, etc. As others have mentioned, that is something that is severely lacking these days. I want to leave feeling convicted, but uplifted. I get so much more out of reading RC Sproul, John Piper, John MacArthur, etc than I do listening to some of the sermons I've heard lately. I hope that Church of the Highlands can fill that void, I'll see for myself soon. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Last edited by AU_trout_bum; 02/09/14 05:13 PM.

Author, Fly Fishing for Redeye Bass: An Adventure Across Southern Waters
JacksonKayak Fishing Team
---------------------------------------------------
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to." - Tom Kelly
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #855210
02/09/14 06:07 PM
02/09/14 06:07 PM
Florence, AL
jtillery Offline
4 point
jtillery  Offline
4 point
Florence, AL
I think you will AU. That's what my wife and I like about the sermon series at highlands.

Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: bill] #855305
02/09/14 11:47 PM
02/09/14 11:47 PM
Cropwell, AL
slgunnel Offline
6 point
slgunnel  Offline
6 point
Cropwell, AL
Originally Posted By: bill
What does Joel Osteen promise if you will only use your words to claim it? Health , wealth, prosperity and the object of your desires. That's a very popular message and one that it's bringing thousands to his teachings. Why is it so popular? Because it is the same thing Satan promises and tempts with. When Satan had Jesus up on the mountain he looked over all the kingdoms of the earth and promised them all to Jesus if he would follow him. God promises our needs but I haven't read anything about him promising jet skis, private planes and 10 million dollar mansions. God doesn't desire us to struggle through life financially and he may even bless us with wealth but God's definition of success in our lives has nothing to do with money.

Joel Osteen believes if Jesus was alive today, he'd be outfitted in Armani. Joel teaches a Prosperity Gospel that uses doing good things to leverage material blessings from God. That's considered to be false teaching according to the Bible I read.

The truth is clear for all to find if they will just open their Bibles.

Open that Bible and study/compare it to Joel's teachings - the truth will be clear to you as well.

Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #855323
02/10/14 02:14 AM
02/10/14 02:14 AM
opelika al
smokeandbones Offline OP
4 point
smokeandbones  Offline OP
4 point
opelika al
What does Joel Osteen have to do with my original post? Nothing some of yall can not help but to take a positive experiance and twist it around with your negative agenda.

The world needs more people holding deer in pictures,and less people holding cameras in front of mirrors.
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #855387
02/10/14 03:49 AM
02/10/14 03:49 AM
Jasper, AL
J
joshm28 Offline
14 point
joshm28  Offline
14 point
J
Jasper, AL
Originally Posted By: smokeandbones
What does Joel Osteen have to do with my original post? Nothing some of yall can not help but to take a positive experiance and twist it around with your negative agenda.

Yep, glad you enjoyed your experience. IMO there is no one right way to worship The Lord. Enjoying your time at church is what makes it easier to become more involved, to reflect on oneself and to truly start understanding the word. You don't need a preacher yelling hell, fire and brimstone, if you like that kind of preaching then good. Again, what you gain and enjoy from a church is a personal preference. Types of preaching, types of singing, etc.

Go to a church where you feel you belong.

Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: BamaBart] #855395
02/10/14 03:56 AM
02/10/14 03:56 AM
Hoover
burbank Online content
Booner
burbank  Online Content
Booner
Hoover
I really cant comment without seeing pictures first.....

Originally Posted By: BamaBart
I'm not trying to be funny but I have a question for you guys.
I'm serious.
What would you think about a minister's wife who had breast implants just to look sexy, and wears tight sweaters.

Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #855421
02/10/14 04:25 AM
02/10/14 04:25 AM
Tuscaloosa
Booger Offline
Picker
Booger  Offline
Picker
Tuscaloosa
Smokeandbones, I am truly sorry for joining in with the hijacking of your thread. Your OP deserved an AMEN by those of us who call ourselves followers of Christ. I hope you continue to have the same zeal as you had when you were leaving the worship service yesterday. Once again, I resemble my own tag line below.

Last edited by Booger; 02/10/14 04:26 AM.

GO NOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: Booger] #855426
02/10/14 04:28 AM
02/10/14 04:28 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Quote:
Smokeandbones, I am truly sorry for joining in with the hijacking of your thread. Your OP deserved an AMEN by those of us who call ourselves followers of Christ. I hope you continue to have the same zeal as you had when you were leaving the worship service yesterday. Once again, I resemble my own tag line below.

x2 as well for me, Smokeandbones. My apologies. My comments belonged in another thread separate from your praise of a good event. God bless you and your walk in faith.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Church Of The Highlands [Re: smokeandbones] #855428
02/10/14 04:29 AM
02/10/14 04:29 AM
Selma
odocoileus Online content
14 point
odocoileus  Online Content
14 point
Selma
I may be crazy, but I think people should worship as they chose. Personally, I am not one for the charismatic and contemporary. I think nothing is wrong with it and in my opinion they really narrow a huge distance in our society. Many people who normally would not attend services due to the stereotypes around churches or nervousness about not fitting in attend contemporary services and that's great. I just have always attended a traditional service, and it's what I like.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.