</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Coon dogs.
by Lonster. 04/25/24 12:17 AM
WTB .22 LR Bolt Action
by Cuz-Pat. 04/23/24 09:19 PM
Iso Henry Golden boy
by AustinC. 04/23/24 08:32 PM
Basketball goal.... Free
by longshot. 04/23/24 06:18 PM
FS: Henry Single Shot
by Ron A.. 04/23/24 05:41 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
123 registered members (NVM1031, BPI, Reptar, WEMOhunter, Lil_Fella, blade, cmontgomery, BuckRidge17, Skillet, BCLC, Mully, ALDawg, alhawk, Brent, coldtrail, Kicker, DGAMBLER, BhamFred, JustHunt, 7PTSPREAD, trlrdrdave, Ridge Life, twaldrop4, Bigwhitey, Mbrock, TCG5, Chiller, Bustinbeards, HBWALKER14, AMB, Woody1, AHolcomb, dawgdr, clayk, Gobble4me757, Jmfire722, TWS1215, Turkey, thayerp81, oldforester, AustinC, hunter84, Epalm88, akbejeepin, AU7MM08, CAL, HappyHunter, lectrode, hosscat, mdavis, Lonster, Buckwheat, GHTiger10, PapaD, jdfarm23, Cousneddy, Tracker, jhardy, montoyafan, StateLine, 700ltr308, cullbuck, Ben2, Big Buck Video, G/H, Bulls eye, Calvin, bug54, Dead down wind, Spec, CatfishJunkie, Mjh97, Big AL 76, BradB, wareagle22, CeeHawk37, snakebit, geeb1, PourIron12, georgiaboy1970, TwoRs, Andalusia, Backwards cowboy, jprice, 3Gs, square, crenshawco, Daniel4191, CarbonClimber1, Bushmaster, Ben Downs, BearBranch, Shane99, Tall Dog, Turkeyneck78, Ray_Coon, rickyh_2, Standbanger, WDE, Cactus_buck, Dixiepatriot, NoHuntin, misfire, SouthBamaSlayer, JEM270, Reaper, GomerPyle, TreeBender, Gut Pile 32, dtmwtp, FreeStateHunter, Fedex 1, Young20, Weedpicker, Megacott, RidgeRanger, DHW, Dragfan66, 5 invisible), 593 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: BhamFred] #602506
06/03/13 06:09 PM
06/03/13 06:09 PM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
Quote:
...The proposed rules prompted debate throughout the summer in a state where hunting is family tradition. A public comment period drew 3,022 responses, with more than three-fourths of them favorable. Legislators said they had been flooded with letters, phone calls and e-mails that were reminiscent of past debates over creating a state lottery...

The Florida Times Union *** click here ***

It was even news in Florida.

Looks like we wound up with crossbows during "bow" season and an alligator lottery to boot.

Screw the law. We've got a Board. ... and the Board's got buddies to take care of.

Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: 49er] #602507
06/03/13 06:18 PM
06/03/13 06:18 PM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
More proof that it's all about science and biology when the Advisory Board makes its decisions:

Quote:
Hunting rules changes send shock waves
Sunday, May 23, 2004
GULF SHORES -- For those who have always believed that the Conservation Advisory Board is just a puppet for the desires of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries, May 22, 2004, will always be independence day.

For those traditionalists who believe anything that makes hunting easier is a sin, May 22, 2004, will always be the day Alabama's great outdoors went to hell in a hand basket.

An unusually liberal board stunned most everybody Saturday in Gulf Shores by passing controversial measures that would have never even come up for consideration in years past. [ grin ]

First, the board legalized the use of turkey decoys. And just when the crowd was recovering from that shock, the board approved the use of crossbows for all hunters. Just when traditionalists were on their last breath, the board approved the use of scopes on muzzleloaders.

At least in terms of hunting in Alabama, it will be a day that lives in infamy.

It was day where veterans of advisory board meetings clearly saw a changing of the guard. Charles Kelly, the retired Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries director who fought against such changes for much of his 39 years in that position, appeared before the board to once again protest against making turkey hunting easier.

His impassioned plea tried to shame board members by explaining that a turkey hunter has a brain the size of a softball, the turkey a brain the size of a marble. Hunters have camouflage, blinds, turkey calls and guns that will shoot 50 yards. Hunters should be embarrassed to ask for more help, he explained.

The board thanked him for his comments and then voted to approve decoys. The vote was especially sticky for board chairman Dan Moultrie who does not vote on issues except in the case of a tie. With the board deadlocked 5-5, Moultrie had to stand before Kelly, his longtime friend, and announce his decision. He voted for decoys.

The biggest loser of the day had to be the Bowhunters of Alabama. The 1,500-member organization has always been a trusted ally of the board and the board's most trusted adviser on bow-hunting issues.

On record as passionately opposing crossbows, the board did not inform the group that legalizing crossbows was even in the works. The quick motion and unanimous vote left BHA President Randy Yeargin in stunned disbelief.

We knew absolutely nothing about this, he said.

To rub salt in the wounds, the board went against BHA pleas to not back up a special muzzleloader season any further in the bow-hunting only season that runs Oct. 15 through the first three weeks of November. The board, which gave muzzleloaders its first three-day season during bow season last year, added two more days to create a special muzzleloader season from Nov. 15 to Nov. 19.

The board also voted to ban hunting with dogs in portions of Conecuh, Crenshaw and Winston counties and to make dog hunting in Henry, Covington and Geneva counties by permit only. Mike Bolton's outdoors column appears every Sunday.

Mike Bolton, al.com news archives from 2004

[I added a tad of emphasis] grin

Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: 49er] #602508
06/03/13 06:27 PM
06/03/13 06:27 PM
Gulf Breeze FL
TatSoul Offline
4 point
TatSoul  Offline
4 point
Gulf Breeze FL
Originally Posted By: 49er
Quote:
...The proposed rules prompted debate throughout the summer in a state where hunting is family tradition. A public comment period drew 3,022 responses, with more than three-fourths of them favorable. Legislators said they had been flooded with letters, phone calls and e-mails that were reminiscent of past debates over creating a state lottery...

The Florida Times Union *** click here ***

It was even news in Florida.

Looks like we wound up with crossbows during "bow" season and an alligator lottery to boot.

Screw the law. We've got a Board. ... and the Board's got buddies to take care of.
Someone please tell me this baffoon was not serious.
Bob Nesbitt, a Birmingham banker and avid bow hunter, said young people are drawn to crossbows because of their use in the popular "Lord of the Rings" movies, and many of them will show up in the woods next month without any training.

"This is a disaster waiting to happen," he said.
As i recall the coolest character in the movie was the elf that shot a recurve and im pretty sure this banker clown dont shoot a recurve.All the people i know would much rather shoot a compound than a crossbow but most of the people i know who shoot crossbows are doing so because of an injury.This is the stupidest argument ive seen in forever.Who gives a shucks if someone wants to dive out of an acorn tree with a knife and stab the deer.If he can do it ethically than so be it.This is the exact reason i lease 700 acres all to myself because you just cant get people to think logical when deer are involved.

Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: TatSoul] #602511
06/03/13 06:36 PM
06/03/13 06:36 PM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
You sayin' it wasn't a science based decision or something?

Just look at all that science that was involved!!!

Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: Ponderosa] #642798
08/06/13 06:40 PM
08/06/13 06:40 PM
Huntsviille, al.35816
Blackhawk Offline
8 point
Blackhawk  Offline
8 point
Huntsviille, al.35816
lol i would like to see the author draw it back and hold it at full draw. if he could he could beat me any day.if he can't then he is no different from any of us your not drawing 150 pounds and holding it i don't care who you are

Mike crenshaw O I F veteran
Remington woodsmaster742in 30-06
Knight Disc Extreme 50 cal.
Weather by Vanguard 243 Win diamond infinite e7028" the crush 350
Barnett jackal crossbow cx, surge arrows 20"L
Rage Hypodermic std 100 grain.
slick trix bh
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: striker6126] #642804
08/06/13 07:22 PM
08/06/13 07:22 PM
Huntsviille, al.35816
Blackhawk Offline
8 point
Blackhawk  Offline
8 point
Huntsviille, al.35816
Originally Posted By: striker6126
Originally Posted By: bigt
Tatsoul if you want to think that hunting with an crossbow is the same more power to you, but like you I have shot both and I know it is not. I also know way too many people that have given up their bows for crossbows to believe they are the same. That being said have fun with yours and one day if I have to use one for medical reasons I will too.

paralysed laft shoulder last year kept me from shooting a bow, i bet maybe my crssbow who knows i didn't try. but out of the respect for the deer i am shooting my compound and getting stronger all the time to pull it. i have not ever in the past contacted a GW about making crossbows legal to hunt deer i did at the expo tell one i wis h it was legal during turkey season, but now that i am better i no longer feel that way i would love to kill a turkey with my Diamond. using these razor tricks.i am calm now unlike last april.i was being run out of the house my wife called my son and ex wife to come get my guns and take them to tennessee. that is not all that got gone like my KBar marine fighting knife wento tn. that stuff should be against the law, i know should is a powerful word but not powerful enough to keep my stuff here.
my experience is just the opposite . I do not know anyone that has given up their vertical bow for a x bow without a injury.

I own both and have not shot the x bow in years . I also agree I would use the x bow if I could not shoot my vertical bow.
as for some thinking the crossbow is less powerful , and at long ranges that is true i mean like at 100 yard the compound has more power due to the much longer power stroke an arrow carring the ke futher, than short light crossbow arrows, the lose there momemntum quickly. most ethical x bow hunter woin't shoot past 40 yards that is most limits of being able to acurately hit your target. when i logged in i laughed , ok who opened this can of worms.:) the croosbow don't shoot bolts you get those at the hardware store. they shoot arras. i thought was arrows. mine have 4"plastic vanes and screw in points moon nocs. bolts have none of that. they get attach to nuts. not mine i mean.a lot can be said about compounds an long bow, and recurves, they carry a long ways doesn't mean they are more powerful.i am not going to fall for this one again you ain't making me mad again, with the lack of logic.i still think tha tauthor would complain if you hung him with a new rope.:)

Last edited by Blackhawk; 08/06/13 07:39 PM.

slick trix bh
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: Blackhawk] #642806
08/06/13 07:23 PM
08/06/13 07:23 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
you know not of what you speak if you say there was popular support for crossbows in regular bow season. I was a working GW then, in contact daily with hunters, esp bowhunters. In the years before the CAB legalized crossbows I had not one hunter ever propose to allow crossbows to be a legal bow season weapon. That was a damn lie told by the CAB and commish at the time.

Absolute spot on truth. There was no significant number of people calling for the inclusion of crossbows in archery season. This was not a move made in response to the desires of the people. It was a move made because Crossbow companies bribed the right people in order to set up a situation where they could sell a lot of crossbows to gun hunters. That's it in a nut shell.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: Ponderosa] #642809
08/06/13 07:48 PM
08/06/13 07:48 PM
Huntsviille, al.35816
Blackhawk Offline
8 point
Blackhawk  Offline
8 point
Huntsviille, al.35816
i can remember when i could not pick up my bow much less my crossbow now i am a ot stronger i can do with my left arm almmost what i used to do . not toallly rehabed yet but close. once i am allowed to drive again. i will go bow hunting for deer and pigs, only as long as i can get them out of the woods , like last year i could not squat down to field dress one without falling over. now i can so i can do the game right and take care of it. this fall i will.

slick trix bh
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: Ponderosa] #642810
08/06/13 08:03 PM
08/06/13 08:03 PM
Huntsviille, al.35816
Blackhawk Offline
8 point
Blackhawk  Offline
8 point
Huntsviille, al.35816
if you want to challenge crossbows go read in crosbow nations forum. you will learn a lot about them, also go to horozantal bow hunter magazine they will tell uou a lot of truth. the compound will kill father away.i miss my fire fox browser i bet ya'll do to it has spell checker this i.e. don't.i never said i could spell.i am glad to see a GW IN HERE THAT CALLS ASPADE A SPADE.DETERMINATION HAS GOT ME THIS FAR ALONG, MY EYE SIGHT IS GETTING BETTER I STILL CAN'T HEAR THUNDER.I WONDER IF I CAN HEAR A DEER WALKING, AS LONG AS I SEE IT I AM GOOD.:)I HAVE BEEN AROUND TOO MANY GUNS AND HELICOPTERS OVER THE LAST 28 YEARS THE VA GAVE ME HEARNG AIDS. smile LAST WINTER PAUL TOOK ME DUCK HUNTING I DIDN'T HEAR THE DUCK, BUT SAW THE MOVEMENT QUACKED ON MY DUCK COMMANDER CALL THEN IT PLOPPED IN THE DECOYS TO EARLY TO SHOOT THANK GOOD NESS PAUL HAD A WATCH, HE SHOT IT AFTER LEGAL TIME IT ATE GOOD WITH THE RED BEANS &RICE NOT LONG AGO.:)

slick trix bh
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: BSK] #642884
08/07/13 02:53 AM
08/07/13 02:53 AM
Prattville AL
E
ElkHunter Offline
Booner
ElkHunter  Offline
Booner
E
Prattville AL
BSK,

Originally Posted By: BSK
[/quote]And that's exactly why I'm an advocate of just having a "deer season," and letting hunters decide what weapon they want to hunt with. Get over all these "special weapons" seasons, the only purpose for which are to provide a few people with more exclusive hunting time.

"Only purpose", I am very surprised you said that. I would think the tax revenue from the sale of archery equipment is another big reason.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 08/07/13 02:54 AM.

Alabama Hog Control, Inc.
www.alabamahogcontrol.com
Barry Estes

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: Ponderosa] #642900
08/07/13 03:09 AM
08/07/13 03:09 AM
Hoover
burbank Offline
Booner
burbank  Offline
Booner
Hoover
Ive killed a deer with an Xbow. Who cares.

A bow, rifle, xbow will all kill them.

Anything else is grown men bitching...

Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: burbank] #643354
08/07/13 01:16 PM
08/07/13 01:16 PM
Huntsviille, al.35816
Blackhawk Offline
8 point
Blackhawk  Offline
8 point
Huntsviille, al.35816
lol true i love my xbow if it was as quite as my compound it would be the deadliest thing on earth. thumbupalong with my slick tricks thumbup

slick trix bh
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: BhamFred] #643480
08/07/13 02:55 PM
08/07/13 02:55 PM
Cullman/Winston county line
Firefighter Bill Offline
8 point
Firefighter Bill  Offline
8 point
Originally Posted By: BhamFred
Originally Posted By: Firefighter Bill

The CAB tried to ram the crossbow issue down our throats without popular hunter support

I respectfully disagree. Just because BHA was very vocally against that issue does not mean there wasn't a huge amount of support from hunters across this state. I am still waiting on all those deer killed at 80 yards and the big increase in night hunting caused by legalizing crossbows. It did allow more women and children to participate in this great sport and that alone is good enough for me to support it. I killed my first deer via the crossbow last season and I can tell you that IMHO they are FAR LESS lethal than a real good compound bow in the hands of a good shooter.

you know not of what you speak if you say there was popular support for crossbows in regular bow season. I was a working GW then, in contact daily with hunters, esp bowhunters. In the years before the CAB legalized crossbows I had not one hunter ever propose to allow crossbows to be a legal bow season weapon. That was a damn lie told by the CAB and commish at the time.

I have no issues with crossbows in bow season, just the way the CAB lied and shoved crossbows down our throats at the time.

So since most of your contacts were with bowhunters dontcha think your view might have been skewed?
I have never proposed to warden any change in the law. That would be kinda like someone proposing to me that arson be legalized,haha.
It had never been thought to be possible to change so most folks never brought it up. After the CAB started getting serious about it I heard FAR more support from the pro xbow side. Just not as loud and obnoxious as the anti side but more of them around Cullman and Winston counties. Still is lots of support for it here. I never cared personally but I did buy a xbow last year and it will be for sale shortly. They are way too loud to be as good as a good compound.

Lead, follow or get the HELL outa the way!
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: Ponderosa] #643645
08/07/13 04:33 PM
08/07/13 04:33 PM
alabama
BhamFred Online mad
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Online Mad
Freak of Nature
alabama
My view was not "skewed" as you say, there was NO huge wave of popular support for crossbows. Not unless you counted all the crossbow manufacturers that showed up for the fight. I'm not saying there was no support for crossbows, just not what the CAB said there was.

All of a sudden, all across the US there is a mad demand for crossbows, led by the manufacturers, and compliant CAB/DCNRs????? Just out of the blue, one state after another??? This was a calculated move by the manufacturers to increase sales, nothing else.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: BhamFred] #643655
08/07/13 04:42 PM
08/07/13 04:42 PM
Huntsviille, al.35816
Blackhawk Offline
8 point
Blackhawk  Offline
8 point
Huntsviille, al.35816
My view was not "skewed" as you say, there was NO huge wave of popular support for crossbows. Not unless you counted all the crossbow manufacturers that showed up for the fight. I'm not saying there was no support for crossbows, just not what the CAB said there was.

All of a sudden, all across the US there is a mad demand for crossbows, led by the manufacturers, and compliant CAB/DCNRs????? Just out of the blue, one state after another??? This was a calculated move by the manufacturers to increase sales, nothing else.
9102901001800062788385al of a sudden there is a mad demand for crossbows well leran to hit with what you got, leave the crossbows alone don't put your finger on top of the flight rail then shoot it the finger will be gone after 150pound pull string ripes them off. not pretty what will happen to your poor fingers.seems to me the huge waves was in 2007 this is 2013 so carry on. the calculated move went with the cab this past vote i mean duh who i s shooting crossbow early next year:)thanks to crossbow companies kicking back to the cab is why your season got changed, and where you get to hunt

Last edited by Blackhawk; 08/07/13 04:45 PM.

slick trix bh
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: Ponderosa] #643663
08/07/13 04:47 PM
08/07/13 04:47 PM
Mayberry
Brent Online mad
Administrator
Brent  Online Mad
Administrator
Mayberry
This thread reminds me of the guy that thinks of something he should have said in an argument so he starts another one so he can use it. Why else bring up a thread that has been silent for 2 months?

"How in the hell did you get to be a moderator?"...Skinny

God Bless Nick Saban!
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: Ponderosa] #643664
08/07/13 04:50 PM
08/07/13 04:50 PM
alabama
BhamFred Online mad
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Online Mad
Freak of Nature
alabama
dangifiniknow.....

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: Ponderosa] #643668
08/07/13 04:54 PM
08/07/13 04:54 PM
Huntsviille, al.35816
Blackhawk Offline
8 point
Blackhawk  Offline
8 point
Huntsviille, al.35816
lol i thought last night when i saw it and laughed let it go. some people can't leave well enough alone it was good and quite until last night. then someone just had to try to stir the pot. i didn't bite.:)

slick trix bh
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: Blackhawk] #643819
08/07/13 11:49 PM
08/07/13 11:49 PM
Fosters, Alabama, USA
Shaw Offline
Administrator
Shaw  Offline
Administrator
Fosters, Alabama, USA
Blackhawk, you're the one that started it back up the night before last with this post:

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk
lol i would like to see the author draw it back and hold it at full draw. if he could he could beat me any day.if he can't then he is no different from any of us your not drawing 150 pounds and holding it i don't care who you are

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it." Captain Woodrow F. Call

ShawBuilt Custom Bowstrings
Re: Crossbows in bow season? [Re: Shaw] #643876
08/08/13 02:31 AM
08/08/13 02:31 AM
Firefighter Bill Offline
8 point
Firefighter Bill  Offline
8 point
Haha yep you restarted it and had 4 or the first 5 posts after it restarted. Pot meet Kettle............

Lead, follow or get the HELL outa the way!
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.