</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Aimpoint Comp M5S with 2 mounts
by Turkeyneck78. 04/22/24 07:50 PM
Kubota Tractor M6060
by oakachoy. 04/22/24 04:59 PM
Harley for Sale
by JA. 04/22/24 03:43 PM
2007 Ford F150 King Ranch 4x4 $6500
by chrismims. 04/22/24 01:54 PM
WTB 7-08 Rifle
by kaferhaus. 04/22/24 10:02 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Future of Camo
by Frankie. 04/23/24 12:31 AM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
9 registered members (Strictlybow, Turkeyneck78, Shane99, MC21, Bronco 74, Frankie, BCLC, handihunter, mauvilla), 312 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Doe Control [Re: bloodtrail] #59936
12/16/10 08:41 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Online content
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Online Content
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
the population has to be keep in check some if not they become pest . i could not have a garden last year , i'm fixing that problem this season . some body next to your managed land might be fixing their problem by killing what ever they see .

just a general comment !!!!!!!

Re: Doe Control [Re: Hogwild] #59937
covington county
D-roc-C Offline
3 point
D-roc-C  Offline
3 point
covington county
Originally Posted By: Hogwild
Quote:
Sure you can. It happens in a lot of places where doe management is pretty strong and intense, the herd population isn't running rampant in great numbers and young bucks are allowed to walk.

Clem,

For the sake of debate, can you cite me a few REAL LIFE examples of properties here in AL with intense doe harvest and successful mature buck harvest on a regular basis?

I would then like for you to tell me the property size, hunter/acre ratio and doe and buck per sq. mi harvested.

I think that you will be surprised when you start looking.
Extreme doe harvest and maintaining a low deer density are not only over-rated; but misrepresented statistically!

Just my opinion, but it is formed after years of paying close attention to data.

thumbupGood Posting

When you do what you've always done. Your gonna get what you've always got.
If you gotta drag it out by the legs or ears it aint worth shootin.
Re: Doe Control [Re: Clem] #59964
12/16/10 09:11 PM
12/16/10 09:11 PM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Originally Posted By: Clem
What do you consider to be a mature buck and a regular basis?

I'm not saying every buck will become a 150-class. If someone's satisfied with shooting basket-rack 6s and a "great" 130-class 8-point, then yeah ... more could be done and it involves management.

When you settle for what you have, you'll always have what you settle for.

4.5yr+ is what I would consider mature.

But, that is actually a moot point when discussing antler scores. Not all 4.5's are 'trophy-size'.

And, for the record, a 130-inch 8 pt IS a good deer; especially in AL.

But, back to my post, I think that if you look at actual harvest data on AL properties.......you'll be surprised at what you find. Low hunter pressure and intense habitat manipulation, along with allowing bucks to reach old age, results in CONSISTENT harvest of trophy antlered mature bucks; not extreme doe harvest.

Last edited by Hogwild; 12/16/10 09:12 PM.
Re: Doe Control [Re: bloodtrail] #59981
12/16/10 09:50 PM
12/16/10 09:50 PM
covington county
D-roc-C Offline
3 point
D-roc-C  Offline
3 point
covington county
Yall check out: www.aonmag.com/article.php?id=2077&cid=189
(The coyote factor- taking a bite out of deer)

Re: Doe Control [Re: bloodtrail] #59986
12/16/10 10:00 PM
12/16/10 10:00 PM
Shelby County
bloodtrail Offline OP
10 point
bloodtrail  Offline OP
10 point
Shelby County
I think its dang near impossible to kill a mature +3.5yr old buck on land thats hunted hard outside of bow season and the rut. By not killing a pile of does your chances of killing a mature buck outside of the rut goes up considerably IMO.

My wife and I love venison also, so I have a couple separate places that I bow hunt for does.

Re: Doe Control [Re: bloodtrail] #59989
12/16/10 10:13 PM
12/16/10 10:13 PM
Shelby County
bloodtrail Offline OP
10 point
bloodtrail  Offline OP
10 point
Shelby County
In one of Chris Cooks publications he said that "heavy doe harvest does nothing for antler growth on some properties".

Some places will never grow 150" bucks no matter how well managed it is IMO. Some places got 'em, some don't.

Re: Doe Control [Re: nolehunter74] #59991
12/16/10 10:26 PM
12/16/10 10:26 PM
Shelby County
bloodtrail Offline OP
10 point
bloodtrail  Offline OP
10 point
Shelby County
Originally Posted By: nolehunter74
do you hunt in shelby county and if so what club

Yup, spring creek hc

Re: Doe Control [Re: Hogwild] #60386
12/17/10 11:11 PM
12/17/10 11:11 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
Quote:
Sure you can. It happens in a lot of places where doe management is pretty strong and intense, the herd population isn't running rampant in great numbers and young bucks are allowed to walk.

Clem,

For the sake of debate, can you cite me a few REAL LIFE examples of properties here in AL with intense doe harvest and successful mature buck harvest on a regular basis?

I would then like for you to tell me the property size, hunter/acre ratio and doe and buck per sq. mi harvested.

I think that you will be surprised when you start looking.
Extreme doe harvest and maintaining a low deer density are not only over-rated; but misrepresented statistically!

Just my opinion, but it is formed after years of paying close attention to data.

Got a pile of them. Our clients run from don't kill many does to kill every one they see. Our prescription for doe harvest depends on 1) habitat 2)deer density 3) harvest objectives. However, bottom line is those properties that have good habitat and low deer numbers kill the best bucks regularly. Some folks don't care to intensely manage and that is fine with me. On one property I work on, they kill a TON of does and few bucks but the bucks are nearly always in the 140's. I take pictures of deer like this without even lifting my gun because they are COMMON shocked

Originally Posted By: 3toe

To each his own, just don't bad mouth either side as they are content and happy in the way they hunt.

thumbup

But, back to my post, I think that if you look at actual harvest data on AL properties.......you'll be surprised at what you find. Low hunter pressure and intense habitat manipulation, along with allowing bucks to reach old age, results in CONSISTENT harvest of trophy antlered mature bucks; not extreme doe harvest.

Not necessarily so. The above property has intense pressure due to intense doe harvest. Depends on what you need!

Originally Posted By: bloodtrail
I think its dang near impossible to kill a mature +3.5yr old buck on land thats hunted hard outside of bow season and the rut. By not killing a pile of does your chances of killing a mature buck outside of the rut goes up considerably IMO.

My wife and I love venison also, so I have a couple separate places that I bow hunt for does.

Sorry, just ain't buying it. I could kill 10-15 3.5 yr old + bucks a year (based on what I pass a year) and nearly all the properties I hunt are WELL managed and pretty heavily hunted and have a LOT of does harvested.

Last edited by gobbler; 12/17/10 11:12 PM.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: Doe Control [Re: gobbler] #60398
12/18/10 12:29 AM
12/18/10 12:29 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Sorry, I ain't buying it either! grin

Quote:
and pretty heavily hunted and have a LOT of does harvested

Give us the specific examples:
Quote:

I have a strong hunch that what you consider 'heavily hunted' and what the AVERAGE hunter considers 'heavily hunted' are 2 totally different things.

I figured you were going to chime in. LOL

And I know that you manage some exclusive properties. The simple fact that the property owners can afford to hire you to manage their property denotes this. I am quite certain that the properties contain nice deer. I am also quite certain that the habitat is really good and the carrying capacity and reproductive capacities are really high.

But, it has very little to do with the AVERAGE hunter and the property that he hunts here in AL.

Re: Doe Control [Re: Hogwild] #60403
12/18/10 02:13 AM
12/18/10 02:13 AM
Here and There
S
SnapperSlapper Offline
6 point
SnapperSlapper  Offline
6 point
S
Here and There
We lease 738 acres. We have eight members. We try to shoot 10-15 does per year. We typically kill 6 - 10 bucks a year, and about half of these bucks are 3.5 years old or older "wallhanger" deer. We have high hunting pressure. We shoot does. We try not to shoot young bucks. We kill a pretty high number of mature bucks for the size property we have.

If you don't shoot does, you will see more deer. That's for two reasons: 1) you'll simply have more deer, and 2) with less intrusion from shooting, wandering around in the woods with a flashlight looking for deer, dragging deer out, and driving in to fields, etc. to haul deer out, the deer will feel more comforable in greenfields, and in daytime movement in general. If you don't shoot does, on most pieces of property in Alabama, you'll very quickly have more deer than the land can sustain in prime condition. Just because they have enough food to survive doesn't mean they have enough food to maximize body size and antler size. So if you don't shoot does, your bucks will be smaller.

You need to base your management on what your goals are. For some people, if they kill one or two 130-150" deer off their property in a year, they'll be very happy. Those folks need to shoot a lot of does, and they need to be very selective in the bucks they do shoot. For folks that want to see the most deer, they shouldn't shoot any does. But, do it long enough, and you'll have some issues. Having too many deer negatively impacts their health, and greatly increases the chance that there will be die offs.

For most folks, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

And the idea that you can't kill a mature buck if you shoot does is absolutely idiotic.

I've been in quite a few clubs with differing management rules. The one where I saw the most deer was in south Tuscaloosa County. It had the potential to be a great place for killing large numbers of 3.5-4.5 year old wallhanger deer. It had fertile soil, plenty of fields for planting, etc. But, instead of it being a great place for killing "nice" bucks, there were usually only one or two of "nice" deer killed every year. That is because the buck criteria was 4 point or better, and does were not allowed to be shot. It wasn't uncommon to see 20 deer in a hunt, and on a good day you might see 40. But, in a season of hunting, only one or two members would see a wallhanger deer. And that is because there weren't any there to speak of, and most that were killed traveled in from other properties during the rut. On that property you would see a ton of does, and there were usually 30-40 bucks killed each year. But they were almost all 1.5-2.5 year old small bucks.

I've also hunted places that were ruthless on the doe harvest. You usually wouldn't see many deer, and you would see as many bucks as does. But, when a buck got shot, it was a good one.

For me, the answer is in the middle. I want to see deer. But, I also want to have a good shot at killing a nice buck every year. And to have the best chance at this, we need to kill about 1/4 of the does off our property every year, and try to only shoot 3.5 year old and older bucks.

It works well for us, though there is always room for improvement.

Re: Doe Control [Re: SnapperSlapper] #60458
12/18/10 10:55 AM
12/18/10 10:55 AM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama

I figured you were going to chime in. LOL

But, it has very little to do with the AVERAGE hunter and the property that he hunts here in AL.

Couldn't resist!! grin

While it may be exclusive and intensive, it has everything to do with the average hunter. The equation is still the same and simple. What varies is how you go about it and what you have to work with (as well as what your goals are). Here are the rules:
1) Good soils produce better deer
2) Good habitat produces healthier deer
3) Overabundant deer herds reduce habitat quality
4) Good habitat is capable of maintaining MUCH larger populations than poor habitat
4) Maintaining a deer population at a level where their browsing has no effect on the habitat allows all deer to grow to their potential
5) Not shooting young bucks allows some of them to grow old, aka, shooting young bucks guarantees they will not become mature

Obviously, some can manage the habitat and some not. Some of those that can, do not understand what good habitat is. Some properties, even with good habitat management, can only sustain low deer numbers in a healthy condition. On really crappy habitat, deer numbers that only provide a deer sighting every 3 hunts may be overpopulated. On other properties, the habitat might be able to sustain a population that provides 10-15 deer sightings per hunt and a 50/50 buck doe ratio.

Last edited by gobbler; 12/18/10 10:58 AM.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: Doe Control [Re: SnapperSlapper] #60460
12/18/10 10:59 AM
12/18/10 10:59 AM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
[quote=SnapperSlapper][/quote]

thumbup

Re: Doe Control [Re: Hogwild] #60462
12/18/10 11:07 AM
12/18/10 11:07 AM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
Sorry, I ain't buying it either! grin

Quote:
and pretty heavily hunted and have a LOT of does harvested

Give us the specific examples:
Quote:

I have a strong hunch that what you consider 'heavily hunted' and what the AVERAGE hunter considers 'heavily hunted' are 2 totally different things.

I would say average of a doe per 50 acres (some more some less) harvest yields the same shooting pressure whether you are on a 50 acre property or a 5,000 acre property. One property has had so many does we recommended 200 does to be killed on 2,000 acres shocked They didn't get there and the population crashed - bucks and does died from overpopulation and the habitat was significantly damaged. It is recovering (both habitat and deer population), but took a few years.

Re: Doe Control [Re: bloodtrail] #60474
12/18/10 11:49 AM
12/18/10 11:49 AM
covington county
D-roc-C Offline
3 point
D-roc-C  Offline
3 point
covington county
I stand behind Hogwild 100%, everything i wanted to say he said it. Dont know him at all. but he knows what hes talkin bout!

Re: Doe Control [Re: bloodtrail] #60499
12/18/10 01:16 PM
12/18/10 01:16 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Bear Bryant used to say he could take his and beat your'n, and then take your'n and beat his.

Gobbler probably does manage some high-dollar land. But I'll bet he or any other management biologist could take your "average hunter" land, make recommendations and see the same or similar results if the "average hunter" would follow the advice.

If you're content shooting 120-class 8-pointers and no does, fine. You'll shoot them for a long time and have a few occasional good bucks. But I'd bet on good land with habitat, by shooting more does and letting those "nice" 8's walk another year some of them would they'd be "Wow" 10's or "Holy chit!" bigger bucks a year or two later.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Doe Control [Re: Clem] #60507
12/18/10 01:47 PM
12/18/10 01:47 PM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Quote:
But I'll bet he or any other management biologist could take your "average hunter" land, make recommendations and see the same or similar results if the "average hunter" would follow the advice.

No doubt about that, Clem.

But, the 'Average hunter' does not have the Time, Property, nor Finances to manage at that level.

As a matter of fact, MOST AL hunters do not have the ability to manage the habitat on the property that they hunt beyond planting a very small percentage of the property in food plots.

I am not against shooting does; and I am not for shooting young bucks.

But, I have common sense and realize the limitations of the 'Average Hunter'.

Re: Doe Control [Re: Hogwild] #60508
12/18/10 01:48 PM
12/18/10 01:48 PM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
BTW, score up those bucks that gobbler posted.

There ain't no 150's in that group. Just good representative bucks for their age classes.

smile

Re: Doe Control [Re: bloodtrail] #60510
12/18/10 02:01 PM
12/18/10 02:01 PM
Shelby County
bloodtrail Offline OP
10 point
bloodtrail  Offline OP
10 point
Shelby County
I can not disagree with what gobbler says period, thats what he does. So who do I need to call for a reasonably priced membership where 140" bucks are so common? haha
All the clubs I have been in lease land from timber companys, they control the habitat. They manage for trees not deer.
I have been in several clubs in the $1500 range and my current club cost $1175. I can't justify spending a lot of money for a club, and I'm content killing 120"-130" and seeing deer than hoping for giant deer and seeing nothing.

Re: Doe Control [Re: Hogwild] #60515
12/18/10 02:19 PM
12/18/10 02:19 PM
Here and There
S
SnapperSlapper Offline
6 point
SnapperSlapper  Offline
6 point
S
Here and There
Quote:

No doubt about that, Clem.

But, the 'Average hunter' does not have the Time, Property, nor Finances to manage at that level.

No, the average hunter doesn't have the self control to manage on that level.

Re: Doe Control [Re: SnapperSlapper] #60519
12/18/10 02:29 PM
12/18/10 02:29 PM
Shelby County
bloodtrail Offline OP
10 point
bloodtrail  Offline OP
10 point
Shelby County
Here is one from a small tract in Shelby Co that I have hunted for 4 years and never killed a deer on. The first year I got pics of 2-3 deer on my plots and never saw a deer while on stand. Now I get pics of 4-8 deer on my plots and have see them regularly while on stand. Not a giant but I would be happy to kill him. I don't think the property is over populated, my plots get visited very frequently but are not over-browsed nor are there any noticeable browse lines on the property.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.