</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking for Lowrance Ghost or 24v Ultrex
by bradbathome. 03/28/24 08:17 PM
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Mbrock. 03/28/24 08:56 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
105 registered members (Kicker, Bandit635, jdhunter2011, huntndad, DEDTRKY, BayedUp, ALclearcut, 3006bullet, AU338MAG, bfoote, cuztoshaw, OldgoatTN68, Shaneomac2, HawkPilot, HBWALKER14, brett.smith, JA, donia, trlrdrdave, goodman_hunter, JDW25, ALPatriot15, clayk, gman, Floorman1, Simpleman, SouthBamaSlayer, crocker, hallb, joe sixpack, cullbuck, AL18, hue, jwalker77, sethjamtoe, bward85, desertdog, CCC, Swamp Monkey, DGAMBLER, odocoileus, CAM, Peach, Cuz-Pat, Remington270, Shane99, BrentsFX4, green river 123, Justice, Ridge Life, Squadron77, brokefixer, Jmoore77, Longtine, doghouse, Paxamus, Rem870s2, DEADorALIVE, PourIron12, jaydub12, sw1002, jhardy, JKlep, mathews prostaff, gundoc, Quack Quack Bang, Cjunkin, mossyback, CrappieMan, BamaFan64, Chickenrig, courseup, Whild_Bill, Ben2, MTeague, BrandonClark, M48scout, AMB, Young20, biglmbass, Doeslayer44, NWFJ, aucountry, booner, kodiak06, RSF, lalongbeard, Beak_Buster, wareagle22, Sgt_mike, WEMOhunter, Coosa1, misfire, 12 invisible), 542 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: Fun4all] #568429
04/03/13 09:42 AM
04/03/13 09:42 AM
clanton
D
dattangdiff Offline
3 point
dattangdiff  Offline
3 point
D
clanton
No my life doesnt depend on it. And as i said previously i have killed good deer without it. So its not about me its about what is best for our club.

i get on here to get insight and ideas. Period. Not to debate or try to get everyone on here to believe what i believe.

Nor am i concerned about that at all. This is America. Our club will decide what is best for us and not be concerned with folks that get on here and bash others with ideas and opinions.

Our members have the option not to join as do newcomers if they dont like the rules. And that is what i think is best. Find a group that are like minded with you and hunt with them and let others hunt how they want without hiding behind a keyboard and blasting them.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: LIOJeff] #568433
04/03/13 09:49 AM
04/03/13 09:49 AM
Foley, AL
Vulkanman Offline
8 point
Vulkanman  Offline
8 point
Foley, AL
Now what's the fun in that?

Being respectful of others? What a novel concept!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: Fun4all] #568496
04/03/13 10:58 AM
04/03/13 10:58 AM
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama
Originally Posted By: Fun4all
Originally Posted By: jmj120
Originally Posted By: dattangdiff
And fun4all that was directed to you as I assume ur comment about wanting was directed at me

Nope, not directed at you, but glad you are working on what is good for your club. My point is, instead of getting out there and hunting to best the deer in his house there are an awful lot of people (yes, word chosen for a reason) that would rather use any and every short cut to make deer change their habits and make it easier to kill a deer. It is not needed unless your life depends on it, does yours?

So it's easier to kill a deer in Florida or Texas than Alabama?

I have never hunted in Florida or Texas, so I could not provide a first hand account. I do however, have first hand experience in Alabama with a group of fellows that used corn and yes they killed deer at "their stands" just about anytime they hunted "their stands". Once I was able to do some scouting around their stands and found out what was going on, I quickly divorced myself from that situation and never return to that property. Interestingly enough, there were a number of gentlemen in law enforcement that hunted that property. So if my experience stands true, it takes less skill, woodsmanship and knowledge to dump a bag of corn out and consistently see and shoot deer. You may have a different experience in Florida and Texas and can provide your knowledge.

Just curious, how do you hunt? What methods do you use to locate deer?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: jmj120] #568567
04/03/13 12:24 PM
04/03/13 12:24 PM
clanton
D
dattangdiff Offline
3 point
dattangdiff  Offline
3 point
D
clanton
Well I've been hunting the same land for 15 years and have a really good idea of their normal travel routes. But I work cameras from July 4th till Sept 25ish and get an inventory of which areas have the best deer and hunt those areas. I mainly hunt from lock ons very high up around edges of thickets watching trails. Since deer are primarily nocturnal I hardly ever see 4 yr olds but when I do it's a close up shot of 125 yds or less which makes for an easy shot.

I agree with the idea that corn makes them more nocturnal. But we never kill many bucks prerut so I'm not as strong opponent to it as some. I'm not excited about the potential increase in pressure if we allow corn on our club

I think once the rut kicks in they will make mistakes after does not after food. So my opinion is that it doesn't help or hurt things. Prerut it might hurt a little but we never kill any prerut anyway

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: dattangdiff] #568700
04/03/13 03:04 PM
04/03/13 03:04 PM
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama
Well I've been hunting the same land for 15 years and have a really good idea of their normal travel routes. But I work cameras from July 4th till Sept 25ish and get an inventory of which areas have the best deer and hunt those areas. I mainly hunt from lock ons very high up around edges of thickets watching trails. Since deer are primarily nocturnal I hardly ever see 4 yr olds but when I do it's a close up shot of 125 yds or less which makes for an easy shot.

I agree with the idea that corn makes them more nocturnal. But we never kill many bucks prerut so I'm not as strong opponent to it as some. I'm not excited about the potential increase in pressure if we allow corn on our club

I think once the rut kicks in they will make mistakes after does not after food. So my opinion is that it doesn't help or hurt things. Prerut it might hurt a little but we never kill any prerut anyway

Do ya'll have any food sources on your place other than natural browse?

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: jmj120] #568816
04/03/13 04:55 PM
04/03/13 04:55 PM
clanton
D
dattangdiff Offline
3 point
dattangdiff  Offline
3 point
D
clanton
75 food plots to total 60 acres!!!

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: jmj120] #568825
04/03/13 05:22 PM
04/03/13 05:22 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson

[/quote]

I hunt deer with a bow, rifle, shotgun sometimes and a pistol while sitting in a treestand, stillhunting and from a ground blind on rivate and public land. I locate deer by putting in time and effort scouting getting the lay of the land and gaining knowledge of what, where and when deer do what they do in their house, which seems to have worked the last 36 or 37 years. Thanks for asking!

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: Fun4all] #568959
04/04/13 04:47 AM
04/04/13 04:47 AM
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama

I hunt deer with a bow, rifle, shotgun sometimes and a pistol while sitting in a treestand, stillhunting and from a ground blind on rivate and public land. I locate deer by putting in time and effort scouting getting the lay of the land and gaining knowledge of what, where and when deer do what they do in their house, which seems to have worked the last 36 or 37 years. Thanks for asking! [/quote]****************************************************************

Sounds good. I guess none of these deer you hunt are traveling from a bedding area to a food source?
Explain the difference in a 30 acre cornfield, some bush-hogged and some left standing, or dumping out 10 sacks of corn in an open field. I'd really like to hear your reasoning.

Last edited by jmj120; 04/04/13 04:49 AM.
Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: jmj120] #568984
04/04/13 05:37 AM
04/04/13 05:37 AM
clanton
D
dattangdiff Offline
3 point
dattangdiff  Offline
3 point
D
clanton
Dont you know we shouldnt plant corn or food plots!!!

We should go all natural!!! lol

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: dattangdiff] #569042
04/04/13 07:36 AM
04/04/13 07:36 AM
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama
Dont you know we shouldnt plant corn or food plots!!!

We should go all natural!!! lol

Yep. Everybody knows you can just dump out a bag of corn and 200 class bucks will run to it.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: jmj120] #569172
04/04/13 12:24 PM
04/04/13 12:24 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson

I hunt deer with a bow, rifle, shotgun sometimes and a pistol while sitting in a treestand, stillhunting and from a ground blind on rivate and public land. I locate deer by putting in time and effort scouting getting the lay of the land and gaining knowledge of what, where and when deer do what they do in their house, which seems to have worked the last 36 or 37 years. Thanks for asking!

Sounds good. I guess none of these deer you hunt are traveling from a bedding area to a food source?
Explain the difference in a 30 acre cornfield, some bush-hogged and some left standing, or dumping out 10 sacks of corn in an open field. I'd really like to hear your reasoning. [/quote]

Instead of discussing sacks of corn that will be gone in a few days waiting for someone to show back up and dump some more out when they WANT to, or setting a timer to ring the dinner bell on the feeder and re filling it up when they WANT to or planting corn and leaving it in the field to provide cover and food for periods when nobody is around and does not require somebody to WANT to come and place more out. Why don't you provide insight into where you think the legal line should be drawn in the methods and strategies to kill the ever elusive deer? It is obvious that dumping corn out of a bag is acceptable, what about spotlight deer standing at a feeder in the middle of a greenfield where it is perfectly safe? I had to add the perfectly safe part to keep the discussion out of the safety ditch, if the State can mandate that you have to wear hunter orange while in the woods below 12' they can mandate that you have a flashlight, glowing hat etc if you are below 12', so don't go there. Unless of course you would rather discuss that instead of where you think the line should be drawn. Also, you might want to provide thoughts on why it should be legal to "feed"/"bait" during hunting season on private property that is adjacent to or even inside a public area like a management area but not legal on the public land? Of coures I expect the "you can't control the public land" or confrontation comments. Should the private land owner be provided with a method or strategy that is not open to the adjacent public land hunter? Why should the private land hunter be allowed this startegy, is it harder to kill a deer on private land?

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: Fun4all] #569233
04/04/13 01:58 PM
04/04/13 01:58 PM
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama

Explain the difference in a 30 acre cornfield, some bush-hogged and some left standing, or dumping out 10 sacks of corn in an open field. I'd really like to hear your reasoning.

Instead of discussing sacks of corn that will be gone in a few days waiting for someone to show back up and dump some more out when they WANT to, or setting a timer to ring the dinner bell on the feeder and re filling it up when they WANT to or planting corn and leaving it in the field to provide cover and food for periods when nobody is around and does not require somebody to WANT to come and place more out. Why don't you provide insight into where you think the legal line should be drawn in the methods and strategies to kill the ever elusive deer? It is obvious that dumping corn out of a bag is acceptable, what about spotlight deer standing at a feeder in the middle of a greenfield where it is perfectly safe? I had to add the perfectly safe part to keep the discussion out of the safety ditch, if the State can mandate that you have to wear hunter orange while in the woods below 12' they can mandate that you have a flashlight, glowing hat etc if you are below 12', so don't go there. Unless of course you would rather discuss that instead of where you think the line should be drawn. Also, you might want to provide thoughts on why it should be legal to "feed"/"bait" during hunting season on private property that is adjacent to or even inside a public area like a management area but not legal on the public land? Of coures I expect the "you can't control the public land" or confrontation comments. Should the private land owner be provided with a method or strategy that is not open to the adjacent public land hunter? Why should the private land hunter be allowed this startegy, is it harder to kill a deer on private land? [/quote]

*********************************************************************************************************************************
So now you're going to tell me I can't have a feeder on my legally owned property? As long as there are backwards arse people in this backwards arse state we'll have backwards arse laws.
Meanwhile other states just legalize it, but manage their herd through a tagging system that actually works.

Last edited by jmj120; 04/04/13 01:58 PM.
Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: jmj120] #569349
04/04/13 03:24 PM
04/04/13 03:24 PM
clanton
D
dattangdiff Offline
3 point
dattangdiff  Offline
3 point
D
clanton
Yep that's why the record book fills up every year!!

That corn instantly makes a mature buck dumb!!! Lol

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: jmj120] #569372
04/04/13 03:44 PM
04/04/13 03:44 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson

Instead of discussing sacks of corn that will be gone in a few days waiting for someone to show back up and dump some more out when they WANT to, or setting a timer to ring the dinner bell on the feeder and re filling it up when they WANT to or planting corn and leaving it in the field to provide cover and food for periods when nobody is around and does not require somebody to WANT to come and place more out. Why don't you provide insight into where you think the legal line should be drawn in the methods and strategies to kill the ever elusive deer? It is obvious that dumping corn out of a bag is acceptable, what about spotlight deer standing at a feeder in the middle of a greenfield where it is perfectly safe? I had to add the perfectly safe part to keep the discussion out of the safety ditch, if the State can mandate that you have to wear hunter orange while in the woods below 12' they can mandate that you have a flashlight, glowing hat etc if you are below 12', so don't go there. Unless of course you would rather discuss that instead of where you think the line should be drawn. Also, you might want to provide thoughts on why it should be legal to "feed"/"bait" during hunting season on private property that is adjacent to or even inside a public area like a management area but not legal on the public land? Of coures I expect the "you can't control the public land" or confrontation comments. Should the private land owner be provided with a method or strategy that is not open to the adjacent public land hunter? Why should the private land hunter be allowed this startegy, is it harder to kill a deer on private land?

*********************************************************************************************************************************
So now you're going to tell me I can't have a feeder on my legally owned property? As long as there are backwards arse people in this backwards arse state we'll have backwards arse laws.
Meanwhile other states just legalize it, but manage their herd through a tagging system that actually works. [/quote]

So attacking and belittling means that you don't have to answer any relevant questions regarding hunting?

A person can have all the feeders out on their property that they want under the current regulations, but they have to make a decision as to whether they will be hunting over bait. It just appears that some would rather have the State make that decision for them so the burden (responsibility can be substituted for burden) is no longer on them.

So again, "Why don't you provide insight into where you think the legal line should be drawn in the methods and strategies to kill the ever elusive deer?"

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: LIOJeff] #569508
04/05/13 12:19 AM
04/05/13 12:19 AM
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama
You are wrong about current law regarding feeders. Some Game Wardens will ticket a hunter for hunting the same area as a feeder. This law tries to remove that problem by establishing an area. In my opinion, the law fails, but that's just my opinion. You say some want the State to make that decision for them????? Well, they are the ones that create the laws we hunt by, I once again don't understand your argument
As for methods to legally kill deer..I'm good with the daylight until dark hunting hours. I like the season length as it is. I wish the State would implement a tagging system that works. I see nothing morally wrong with hunting a food plot, white oak tree or corn feeder. Killing deer is easy. Killing 5,6,7 year old bucks is darn near impossible.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: LIOJeff] #569729
04/05/13 07:46 AM
04/05/13 07:46 AM
Montgomery
WmHunter Offline
14 point
WmHunter  Offline
14 point
Montgomery
I would like to see one single documented
case of a game warden writing someone a ticket
for hunting near/over/around bait where the
bait/feeder/whatever
was more than 400 yards from the hunter.

ONE case. Let's see it folks.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

" Chuck Sykes is a dictator control freak like Vladimir Putin " WmHunter

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: WmHunter] #569749
04/05/13 08:30 AM
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama
Originally Posted By: WmHunter
bait/feeder/whatever

Did you pull the 400 yard figure out of your arse??
I can give you examples of an entire lease being shut down for 3 weeks because of the presence of corn.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: jmj120] #569751
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama
Originally Posted By: WmHunter
bait/feeder/whatever

Did you pull the 400 yard figure out of your arse??
I can give you examples of an entire lease being shut down for 3 weeks because of the presence of corn.

And before you ask it was 1200 acres.

Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: LIOJeff] #569799
04/05/13 10:23 AM
04/05/13 10:23 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
in 26 years on the job I never heard of anything even close to 1200 being closed because of the "presence of corn".....

what year?

what county?

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Confused about baiting rule now [Re: LIOJeff] #569839
04/05/13 11:43 AM
04/05/13 11:43 AM
Central Alabama
Cuz-Pat Online content
Booner
Cuz-Pat  Online Content
Booner
Central Alabama
Personally, I'd like to see the State change the rule to Supplemental feeding being allowed from February 1st - October 5th ONLY.

From October 6th - January 31st no Supplemental feeding of any type allowed at all. If a warden finds it out during that time anywhere on your hunting property it's a ticket, no questions asked.

Of course, this is just my opinion but if they would do this all "gray" areas of the law would be totally eliminated.

Now, ya'll can jump on me with both feet. I know it's coming. grin

Cuz-Pat

Patton's European Mounts
Professional Quality Skull & Antler Taxidermy
Since 1998
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.