</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
truck
by jhix3734. 04/19/24 10:50 AM
Rem model 7 stainless 300WSM
by Thread Killer. 04/19/24 09:04 AM
Mathews lift 29.5
by Bows4evr. 04/18/24 09:53 PM
Trade or sell
by buzzbait. 04/18/24 05:07 PM
95 Ford F250 HD
by Rudy. 04/18/24 02:15 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by abolt300. 04/19/24 09:25 AM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
107 registered members (jawbone, Turkeyneck78, HBWALKER14, RockFarmer, tmhrmh1, WINMAG300, klay, Remington270, Powers, RSF, Hoytdad10, Six shooter, Skullworks, Fishduck, Roondog, odocoileus, St. Clair FF, RareBreed, jaredhunts, Solothurn, chevydude2015, CouchNapper, Driveby, Johnal3, CarbonClimber1, IMISSALDEER, bug54, Big AL 76, roll_tide_hunts, Rooster600, clayk, jhardy, gman, burbank, curt99rsv, BACK40, Turkeyhunter12, NotsoBright, hunterturf, Megatrondiablo, Spotchaser8, Skillet, Scout1621, hallb, Shmoe, GomerPyle, Lonster, Bowfish, BamaFan64, cmontgomery, johnv, top cat, CTMS, hunter84, goodman_hunter, Mbrock, Joe4majors, AU338MAG, WEMOhunter, Whild_Bill, AU7MM08, Rockstar007, BamaGuitarDude, BC, Narrow Gap, Treelimb, Beebs, mw2015, thayerp81, Engine5, blazer625, jhix3734, lthrstkg1, Shaneomac2, Justice, rhino21, CNC, Nightwatchman, deadeye48, RidgeRanger, rrice0725, SwampHunter, Ryano, Gunner211, scrape, twaldrop4, bowkl, jwalker77, Recovered, limabean, Chipnalong, buzzard, claybird, Quack Quack Bang, Ridgehunter36, Geeb, jarcher38, Overland, Rolloverdave, TideWJO, CeeHawk37, abamadude, 5 invisible), 740 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: marshmud991] #3853514
02/04/23 09:13 PM
02/04/23 09:13 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by marshmud991
.......but at the end of the day we all have the common sense to do what’s right for the health of the animals we’re hunting.

I dont know about that sentence Marsh.......

We dont rent pigs
Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: CNC] #3853519
02/04/23 09:21 PM
02/04/23 09:21 PM
USA
M
marshmud991 Offline
14 point
marshmud991  Offline
14 point
M
USA
Originally Posted by CNC
.......but at the end of the day we all have the common sense to do what’s right for the health of the animals we’re hunting.

I dont know about that sentence Marsh.......

I guess I should have said “most”.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chews your a$$ all day long.

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: HeartofDixie] #3853521
02/04/23 09:22 PM
02/04/23 09:22 PM
Dale County, AL
G
Groundhawg Offline
10 point
Groundhawg  Offline
10 point
G
Dale County, AL
Originally Posted by HeartofDixie
Worst thing to ever happen to Ala deer hunting = legalized baiting

Just why is that? Facts or even just your thoughts welcome.

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: tradbow] #3853523
02/04/23 09:25 PM
02/04/23 09:25 PM
Santa Rosa/Conecuh
hallb Online content
Booner
hallb  Online Content
Booner
Santa Rosa/Conecuh
Originally Posted by tradbow
[quote=hallb]tradbow - you literally degraded your brother in law for the way he hunts rofl[/quote

I'm aware, i give him crap about it all the time. I dont stop him though, so I'm curious what your point is?

My point is you obviously do want to tell others how to hunt and for them to hunt more like you. Your username actually says a lot...

Oh and Marsh - good post, as usual!!!

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: Paint Rock 00] #3853692
02/05/23 08:30 AM
02/05/23 08:30 AM
Chelsea
L
Lockjaw Offline
14 point
Lockjaw  Offline
14 point
L
Chelsea
I use cameras to monitor more than anything else. We plant food plots to increase our carrying capacity and to improve overall herd health. We can't bait anymore, which suits me just fine. Lowers pressure since majority were just dumping it on a green field. I
I'm still hunting for a hot trail out here.

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: Paint Rock 00] #3853696
02/05/23 08:33 AM
02/05/23 08:33 AM
Crenshaw
C
CrappieMan Offline
8 point
CrappieMan  Offline
8 point
C
Crenshaw
I Bait the hell out of them. It's a lot of work trying to out feed everybody else. Triple Threat is the name of the game for me. I also feed them all summer.

Last edited by Triple J; 02/05/23 08:38 AM.
Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: marshmud991] #3854184
02/05/23 08:20 PM
02/05/23 08:20 PM
NE AL
T
tradbow Offline
spike
tradbow  Offline
spike
T
NE AL

I said all that nonsense to say that we are all wired differently but at the end of the day we are all hunters and we all want things to hunt and have the common sense to do what’s right for the health of the animals we’re hunting. You hunt your way and I’ll hunt mine. And I promise you after we both finish hunting our way, we can sit around the fire, drink a beer and share the details of each other’s hunt and enjoy the story because that’s a big part of the reason we do it!! beers

Well I'm a fly fisherman, so there's that haha, but here's the thing I think might separate you from the rest. If at the end of the day you have heard health in mind, then that's all that matters. So long as a hunter no matter what his weapon and choice of tactic is considers herd health and the progression of the sport, then I'm happy. I'm not about to stop anyone from shooting over bait, just the same as I don't stop people from bass fishing on beds. I guess my biggest concern is that this bait hunting has i guess the potential if used poorly to cause serious damage not just to the population but to the sportsmanship hunter use to pride.

I'm always game to drink beer and talk hunting. Im drinking a beer right now.

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: hallb] #3854188
02/05/23 08:24 PM
02/05/23 08:24 PM
NE AL
T
tradbow Offline
spike
tradbow  Offline
spike
T
NE AL
Originally Posted by hallb
[quote=hallb]tradbow - you literally degraded your brother in law for the way he hunts rofl[/quote

I'm aware, i give him crap about it all the time. I dont stop him though, so I'm curious what your point is?

My point is you obviously do want to tell others how to hunt and for them to hunt more like you. Your username actually says a lot...

Oh and Marsh - good post, as usual!!!

Can you please provide me a quote where I said someone must hunt a certain way? and how is my username have anything to do with this? Have I told anyone how to kill a deer? If so can you please provide that quote?

You can just come out and say it, you like sitting in a heated shoot house over a pile of bait with a crossbow. It's ok man this is a safespace or whatever you all say.

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: Paint Rock 00] #3854383
02/06/23 08:34 AM
02/06/23 08:34 AM
FL
daylate Offline
10 point
daylate  Offline
10 point
FL
Is it ok to catch a bluegill off its bed?

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: daylate] #3855504
02/07/23 07:25 PM
02/07/23 07:25 PM
NE AL
T
tradbow Offline
spike
tradbow  Offline
spike
T
NE AL
Originally Posted by daylate

Sure, I suppose. So long as you know its harming overall population.

Now depending on the body of water this may be an intent. Or it may not be. But I dont think ignorance in todays age is a solid argument for something, not with the ability to simple good something like this https://www.proquest.com/openview/e...614/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=54136

Excerpt from this study.

"scientists found that high catch-and-release angling pressure on male bedding bass caused those fish to exhibit significantly reduced nest fidelity in future spawning cycles compared to fish that were caught and released only once.

While fish captured only once returned to their original nesting site 87 percent of the time during the next spawning season, fish caught multiple times returned only 27 percent of the time. Moreover, while nearly 97 percent of fish captured only once remained on the nest and completed parental care activities during the next spawning season, bedding bass subjected to high angling pressure completed those activities less than 6 percent of the time. These scientists concluded that, "angling nesting bass may cause them to avoid previously used nest sites and instead search for alternative sites during future reproductive seasons. This human-induced impact on nest site choice may impact the future reproductive success of those largemouth bass."

So to answer your question, no, I personally do not. And I don't try to target those locations. I suppose the question for you now is do you think It's ok to fish beds?

Last edited by tradbow; 02/07/23 07:27 PM. Reason: i wanted to
Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: tradbow] #3855870
02/08/23 08:40 AM
02/08/23 08:40 AM
FL
daylate Offline
10 point
daylate  Offline
10 point
FL

Sure, I suppose. So long as you know its harming overall population.

Now depending on the body of water this may be an intent. Or it may not be. But I dont think ignorance in todays age is a solid argument for something, not with the ability to simple good something like this https://www.proquest.com/openview/e...614/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=54136

Excerpt from this study.

"scientists found that high catch-and-release angling pressure on male bedding bass caused those fish to exhibit significantly reduced nest fidelity in future spawning cycles compared to fish that were caught and released only once.

While fish captured only once returned to their original nesting site 87 percent of the time during the next spawning season, fish caught multiple times returned only 27 percent of the time. Moreover, while nearly 97 percent of fish captured only once remained on the nest and completed parental care activities during the next spawning season, bedding bass subjected to high angling pressure completed those activities less than 6 percent of the time. These scientists concluded that, "angling nesting bass may cause them to avoid previously used nest sites and instead search for alternative sites during future reproductive seasons. This human-induced impact on nest site choice may impact the future reproductive success of those largemouth bass."

So to answer your question, no, I personally do not. And I don't try to target those locations. I suppose the question for you now is do you think It's ok to fish beds?

If you are talking about the guys who strap stepladders into their bass boats and go looking for giant female bass on the beds, I don't care for that and have never and will never do it. But then again, I don't enjoy catching crappie using Livescope so I am a bit of an old fashioned guy. My question about bluegills should have been followed by "because I am really looking forward to catching some soon". In hindsight, it probably looked like a dig at you. It was not meant to be.

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: daylate] #3855881
02/08/23 09:03 AM
02/08/23 09:03 AM
NE AL
T
tradbow Offline
spike
tradbow  Offline
spike
T
NE AL

If you are talking about the guys who strap stepladders into their bass boats and go looking for giant female bass on the beds, I don't care for that and have never and will never do it. But then again, I don't enjoy catching crappie using Livescope so I am a bit of an old fashioned guy. My question about bluegills should have been followed by "because I am really looking forward to catching some soon". In hindsight, it probably looked like a dig at you. It was not meant to be.

Hard to tell intent over the internet.

But the reason I said depends on body of water and intent is because it's ultimate up to us as sportsman to care and look after the game we seek. These "green" people dont really care. So as long as we understand the effects of what we do and manage that then its all good.

Would I risk a slight knock in my ponds to let my kids bust a few and get that excitement? Absolutely, same with letting a new hunter bust their first deer over a feeder. And this is all not talking to you of course. But just everyone in this discussion and anyone new here that I feel we need to make sure a hunter/outdoorsman/ sportsman is the keeper of the game. If we can't do it, then the greenies will. Trust me, I come from a state that was ruined and those people that have ruined it are right behind me. I'll be damned If I watch them do it again.

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: tradbow] #3855929
02/08/23 10:33 AM
02/08/23 10:33 AM
FL
daylate Offline
10 point
daylate  Offline
10 point
FL

But the reason I said depends on body of water and intent is because it's ultimate up to us as sportsman to care and look after the game we seek. These "green" people dont really care. So as long as we understand the effects of what we do and manage that then its all good.

Would I risk a slight knock in my ponds to let my kids bust a few and get that excitement? Absolutely, same with letting a new hunter bust their first deer over a feeder. And this is all not talking to you of course. But just everyone in this discussion and anyone new here that I feel we need to make sure a hunter/outdoorsman/ sportsman is the keeper of the game. If we can't do it, then the greenies will. Trust me, I come from a state that was ruined and those people that have ruined it are right behind me. I'll be damned If I watch them do it again.

We, as hunters and fishermen, pay for the care and sustainability of our wildlife resources. The greenies don't contribute a dime. Now, as for hunting over bait, I don't have any issues with that. Some of the top deer hunting states allow it so I don't buy the idea that it is harmful. If it was, Kentucky, Kansas, and Texas would not be primetime destinations for deer hunters.

Last edited by daylate; 02/08/23 10:34 AM.
Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: daylate] #3855940
02/08/23 11:01 AM
02/08/23 11:01 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL

. Now, as for hunting over bait, I don't have any issues with that. Some of the top deer hunting states allow it so I don't buy the idea that it is harmful. If it was, Kentucky, Kansas, and Texas would not be primetime destinations for deer hunters.

All the variables just arent the same......Texas has huge ranches with much lower hunter density.......Kentucky allows you to kill one buck.....and Kansas is mostly bow hunting if I'm not mistaken

We dont rent pigs
Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: CNC] #3855955
02/08/23 11:23 AM
02/08/23 11:23 AM
North AL
A
AU338MAG Online IMG_0051.GIF
Old Mossy Horns
AU338MAG  Online IMG_0051.GIF
Old Mossy Horns
A
North AL
Originally Posted by CNC

. Now, as for hunting over bait, I don't have any issues with that. Some of the top deer hunting states allow it so I don't buy the idea that it is harmful. If it was, Kentucky, Kansas, and Texas would not be primetime destinations for deer hunters.

All the variables just arent the same......Texas has huge ranches with much lower hunter density.......Kentucky allows you to kill one buck.....and Kansas is mostly bow hunting if I'm not mistaken

You're mistaken.

Kansas has a two week rifle season after Thanksgiving.

IIRC, they also have a week in January rifle season which is antlerless only

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe
Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: AU338MAG] #3856041
02/08/23 02:00 PM
02/08/23 02:00 PM
NE AL
T
tradbow Offline
spike
tradbow  Offline
spike
T
NE AL
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by CNC

You're mistaken.

And how many times longer is our season compared to theirs? Mistaken or not, the fact our season is 4x what theirs is makes the similarities incomparable.

Texas is a joke, their hunting became so poor half the state is nothing but high fence and safari like hunts.

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: daylate] #3856043
02/08/23 02:01 PM
02/08/23 02:01 PM
NE AL
T
tradbow Offline
spike
tradbow  Offline
spike
T
NE AL

We, as hunters and fishermen, pay for the care and sustainability of our wildlife resources. The greenies don't contribute a dime. Now, as for hunting over bait, I don't have any issues with that. Some of the top deer hunting states allow it so I don't buy the idea that it is harmful. If it was, Kentucky, Kansas, and Texas would not be primetime destinations for deer hunters.

We do pay..... we pay money to the greenies who sit in political positions, dont hunt and make the laws. They dont need to pay if the control the method.

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: AU338MAG] #3856130
02/08/23 05:38 PM
02/08/23 05:38 PM
A
Atoler Offline
14 point
Atoler  Offline
14 point
A
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by CNC

You're mistaken.

Kansas is mostly bow hunting. They have a 12 day either sex rifle season, a similar length early muzzleloader, and some shorter antlerless gun opportunities. They also have their rifle season post rut and limit you to one buck tag, and no more than 4 doe tags. Also, unless it’s changed, Buck tags are weapon specific.

Kentucky is very similar. Two weeks of gun, two short muzzleloader seasons, and 1 buck.

Re: Feeding/baiting [Re: Paint Rock 00] #3856261
02/08/23 08:37 PM
02/08/23 08:37 PM
MONTICELLO
J
Jason Carroll Offline
6 point
Jason Carroll  Offline
6 point
J
MONTICELLO
I have spots with no corn, I've got spots with corn. Sheet I even put a cricket on my hook when I fish.....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.