</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Ruger M77 6mm heavy barrel with Nikon Monarch
by bradbathome. 03/27/24 04:42 PM
Carpet Installation Equipment
by hunter84. 03/27/24 07:12 AM
$20013hp all-power side shaft generator motor
by HollerHunter. 03/26/24 07:43 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Backwards cowboy. 03/28/24 09:30 AM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by Mbrock. 03/27/24 07:53 PM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
132 registered members (Captain Howdy, clayk, RidgeRanger, jdhunter2011, sevenup, dixiebuck29, BCLC, ttsam, CeeHawk37, BBD23, ALScott, Ray_Coon, foldemup, thayerp81, Fishduck, deerchop, BC_Reb, Canterberry, jwalker77, Lockjaw, KHOOKS, BrandonClark, beeline08, Raspy, doublefistful, Smitty4Bama, hallb, Zzzfog, Skillet, MadMallard, Autseed, ShaftOne, Luxfisher, 000buck, rblaker, booner, znix123, Whild_Bill, mikewhandley, Powers, oldbowhunter, desertdog, lefthorn, PourIron12, cgardner, jaredhunts, Boathand, Uokman2014, Paint Rock 00, Joe4majors, Scout308, Backwards cowboy, NorthFork, BhamFred, knock him down, sj22, 3Gs, chill, slim68, outdoorguy88, burbank, odocoileus, Noler_Swamp, St. Clair FF, Gunpowder, Big AL 76, brushwhacker, Big Al, BamaBoHunter, johnv, AustinC, deadeye48, Livintohunt19, rutwad, HBWALKER14, Shack84, 7PTSPREAD, bamaeyedoc, NVM1031, Atoler, dirkdaddy, headshot1, Gut Pile 32, fillmore, jake5050, UA Hunter, abamadude, coldtrail, headshot, Ant67, Tailwalk7, Hunter454, buzzard, toothdoc, AL18, MAG, buck_buster, hunterturf, HawkPilot, Mulcher, Solothurn, MikeP, Bjoff27, PossumPecker, bamamed1, Poplar_Springs, Redman3, HHSyelper, RockFarmer, Okalona, trlrdrdave, k bush, Ryano, Shaneomac2, BREEZE1, Kevinpmac, WEMOhunter, 15 invisible), 487 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3655173
04/19/22 01:14 PM
04/19/22 01:14 PM
Ozark , Alabama
B
BradB Offline
10 point
BradB  Offline
10 point
B
Ozark , Alabama
Booner and Lockjaw have got it figured out. If you want a good deer hunting experience its EXPENSIVE. I own 320 ac and this year summer plots will be about $2,0000 (7 AC of RR corn/beans), fall plots will be about $1,500 (6 AC plots, 2 AC Perrenial Clover) and I need a truckload of Lime at about $1,000, so I am looking at $4,500 this year for JUST planting expenses and thats probably low. And we have not even gotten into the JD 5055, Ranger, electric buggy, disc, tiller, bush hog, sprayer and seeder sitting in the barn, or fuel, or pesticides/herbicides, it goes on and on. And as soon as turkey season is over the Buck Boss feeders are gonna get filled. It costs me about $125 every time I put my arse in a stand since I get to hunt about 35 sits a year. And I did not even pull the trigger last year LOL But that was my choice.

I have two buddies who hunt with me regularly who help a little, but historically I have taken care of probably 90% of it because I could and ,frankly, I hate to get into friends for money, but that's gonna change this year because of changes in my world. So I have been thinking about ways to off-set some costs. I would never do a typical lease because nobody I don't absolutely completely trust will ever have free reign to come and go on my place as they please for any sum of money. I am a true believer that pressure is the most important factor in seeing deer regularly, and my place is only hunted a week at Thanksgiving, a week or so at Christmas and from January 15 through close. And not a lot of folks would be happy with that, but because of it last year I averaged seeing 10-12/sit with a half dozen 20+ sits and could have tagged out on 3.5 yr old bucks pretty easily. So its been a bit of a dilemma. Have thought about parceling out things I don't do, bow season, youth season or turkey season and could cover most of my planting costs with those but that opens up its own can of worms, since the most valuable of the three would be the turkey rights, and a good friend has been turkey hunting my place for going on 20 years and I really don't think I have it in me to tap him for full retail. Or I could go find a "whale" , a very busy professional with lots of discretionary income who wants to hunt a few times a year on a place he will see lots of deer and have a very good chance at a mature buck. Or I could sell a few hunts while I am up for my annual two week Rut hunt. Or best case scenario when I discuss this with my buddies not long from now they happily cough up 33% of the costs and we continue on our merry way. In any case, this chit is expensive. But worth it to me.

Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: BradB] #3655195
04/19/22 02:08 PM
04/19/22 02:08 PM
AL
booner Online content
6 point
booner  Online Content
6 point
AL
Originally Posted by BradB
I would never do a typical lease because nobody I don't absolutely completely trust will ever have free reign to come and go on my place as they please for any sum of money. I am a true believer that pressure is the most important factor in seeing deer regularly,

This... It is sad but true. A very good friend of mine wanted to go on a hunt with me last year and I finally caved after I took my top hitlist buck. On the way up he kept making comments about which bucks he was going to shoot, where he was going to go etc. After a short conversation, I stopped the truck and turned us around to go back to the camp. Too much invested in a place to get it "right" to let someone come in with nothing involved to reap the benefits. Spent the rest of the evening having a beer and cooking out instead of hunting.

My father is the only person that I let come hunt. He comes a couple times and he most likely will shoot something that I would not have, but he toted my butt around for all those years so I won't ever say a word about it and be just as happy for him.

Last edited by booner; 04/19/22 03:09 PM.
Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: booner] #3655212
04/19/22 02:40 PM
04/19/22 02:40 PM
A
abolt300 Offline
Booner
abolt300  Offline
Booner
A
Originally Posted by booner
I would never do a typical lease because nobody I don't absolutely completely trust will ever have free reign to come and go on my place as they please for any sum of money. I am a true believer that pressure is the most important factor in seeing deer regularly,

This... It is sad but true. A very good friend of mine wanted to go on a hunt with me last year and I finally caved after I took my top hitlist buck. On the way up he kept making comments about which bucks he was going to shoot, where he was going to go etc. After a short conversation, I stopped the truck and turned us around to go back to the camp. Too much invested in a place to get it "right" to let someone come in with nothing involved to reap the benefits. Spent the rest of the evening having a beer and cooking out instead of hunting.

My father is the only person that I let come hunt. He comes a couple times and he most likely will shoot something that I would not have but he toted my butt around for all those years so I won't ever say a word about it and be just as happy for him.

thumbup

Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: booner] #3655250
04/19/22 03:50 PM
04/19/22 03:50 PM
Chelsea
L
Lockjaw Online content
14 point
Lockjaw  Online Content
14 point
L
Chelsea

My father is the only person that I let come hunt. He comes a couple times and he most likely will shoot something that I would not have but he toted my butt around for all those years so I won't ever say a word about it and be just as happy for him.

Well I am not one of those people. You probably would never know I was there, unless you saw me, or heard me shoot. I would follow the rules to a T. But it is a struggle to find people you can trust. Been bitten before too.

I have multiple guys with kids, myself included. The way our rules are structured, each "member" has a deer limit, which this year is 3 bucks and 2 doe's. Each child can shoot one of each. A guest deer comes off the member limit, and a guest has to be approved by a board member. And we said you can't shoot a doe off a greenfield. Most of the guy sit with their "child" although we don't specifically require that. A "child" may not hunt unless their parent is on the property, so no high school kids coming out and hunting.

My rules actually were set up to allow a member to shoot 3 bucks and 5 doe's. My wife (if I had one) could shoot 3 of each. And then each child could shoot 1 buck and 2 doe's, and any additional deer would come off the members limit. I felt that was obscenely high. While I doubt a family could successfully come out and kill that many 6pt or better bucks, they could come out and kill a ton of doe's. And frankly changing the rule actually affects me more than anyone else. I could have easily killed 5 doe's last year. Really I have not shot near as many deer out there as I could have, primarily because I want my kids to get a shot. Most of the guys are that way too.

I honestly think we will morph some as we go. Since we can't supplementally feed anymore, we have to invest $ in food plots and doing them well if we want to see any decent deer and grow our carrying capacity. We can't operate like a traditional club and have seasonal food sources, we will have to have it year round to give us the best shot. And if I have better food on my lease than the guy next door, guess what? I am going to pull his deer over.

I will tell you something else I learned last year. Even with a 3pt spreader, it takes a while to spread a couple tons of pellet lime.......

Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: booner] #3655263
04/19/22 04:11 PM
04/19/22 04:11 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
Northport, AL

My father is the only person that I let come hunt. He comes a couple times and he most likely will shoot something that I would not have, but he toted my butt around for all those years so I won't ever say a word about it and be just as happy for him.

lol damn....so you told the guy you'd take him, got him halfway there, then said nevermind and turned around and took him home? y'all still friends?

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: GomerPyle] #3655266
04/19/22 04:14 PM
04/19/22 04:14 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by GomerPyle

lol damn....so you told the guy you'd take him, got him halfway there, then said nevermind and turned around and took him home? y'all still friends?

That's what it sounds like to me...... laugh

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: GomerPyle] #3655269
04/19/22 04:20 PM
04/19/22 04:20 PM
AL
booner Online content
6 point
booner  Online Content
6 point
AL

Lol yeah we are still friends. He was hoping that I would ease off a little on the restrictions (which were discussed multiple times) and let him shoot something but understood once we had a beer over it.

Last edited by booner; 04/19/22 04:21 PM.
Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: GomerPyle] #3655284
04/19/22 04:40 PM
04/19/22 04:40 PM
Hoover
burbank Online content
Booner
burbank  Online Content
Booner
Hoover

I thought the same thing. Let them shoot a damn deer. Geez.

Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3655299
04/19/22 05:08 PM
04/19/22 05:08 PM
A
abolt300 Offline
Booner
abolt300  Offline
Booner
A
Booner, Whenever you said he was telling you where he was going to go and which "bucks" he was going to shoot. I knew exactly what you were talking about. I've got several buddies with highly managed properties, just like mine, and we swap out hunts a couple times a year. I've passed several bucks on their places that I should have killed and they told me, "you should've shot that one" (they have done the same thing as well, on my place) because I was not positive that the buck was one of the ones they were wanting to take out or I couldnt 100% verify age. We are always joking on the way in that we are going to shoot the other guy's best 3 yr old or whatever bucks he's really wanting to protect, but it's only a joke. When hunting as a guest, it's always better be cautious, if you are not 100% sure. It takes years of time, effort, trigger restraint, and money to grow big bucks in Bama. People that dont do it to the same extent that you do, normally just don't understand. That said, just like you, there are several people in my life that have the green light on any deer I have on the property, anytime they go, and I am happier when they kill one, than if I had killed it myself. I will however say, turning around and not taking someone hunting at all, has not happened yet with me. LOL

Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3655318
04/19/22 05:54 PM
04/19/22 05:54 PM
Boaz,AL
CarbonClimber1 Offline
14 point
CarbonClimber1  Offline
14 point
Boaz,AL
Datgum at tha rich folks..i got tuh git my butt out from arount this thread for i git tha law callt on me

Last edited by CarbonClimber1; 04/19/22 05:54 PM.

"I dont quit.. And ill fight alone if i have to"
Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3655330
04/19/22 06:18 PM
04/19/22 06:18 PM
Earth
TDog93 Offline
Booner
TDog93  Offline
Booner
Earth
If I were going to take somebody - they would be like family to me and I would take them to my very best spot or I would not ask them
I just don’t ask very often. I asked my best friend in the rut for a weekend hunt this past year - he could not make it - no other friends got asked. He has done an awful lot for me over the years. I will take my step son whenever - he just don’t want to go much - he can shoot what he wants - he went once this year

Hunt the wind - leave it better than you found it - love your neighbor as you love your self
We need prayer for our country now more than ever
Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3655659
04/20/22 10:13 AM
04/20/22 10:13 AM
Ozark , Alabama
B
BradB Offline
10 point
BradB  Offline
10 point
B
Ozark , Alabama
Guests are definitely a dilemma for me, because while I hunt by myself probably 80% of the time, I really like hunting with someone else and there is also the safety factor. I just turned 65 and it is very evident to me I need to be more cautious when in the woods. I fall much easier and don't bounce like I used too and I really should not drag a deer very far because of health issues, so its nice to know if I needed assistance there would be someone on the place, not 20 minutes away. But that brings us back to pressure LOL One reason my place is as good as it is is because, best I can tell, my south neighbor only deer hunts it himself and has no interest in shooting anything but a buck larger than any he may ever see. His place is awesome, he feeds, manages and does not shoot any deer. Best neighbor one could have but I don't want to go to that extreme. So its really a balancing act between the pleasure of enjoying good company while hunting versus the pain when they send you the text " I got HIM" LOL And I have gotten that text. Heck, the best 4 deer I know of coming off the place are on guests walls and that is fine with me because I would rather enjoy the place with friends than lock it down in fear someone might shoot "MY' deer.

Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3655697
04/20/22 11:08 AM
04/20/22 11:08 AM
Chelsea
L
Lockjaw Online content
14 point
Lockjaw  Online Content
14 point
L
Chelsea
I am not a huge fan of guests either, but at 55, with a torn disk, I definitely can appreciate having help dragging one. That's whay my now 16 year old is for!! And I find myself less comfortable way up a tree too.

I need to get a deer cart. Or take my 4 wheeler out there and leave it. If we could find a really cheap building, that would be good.

Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3656694
04/21/22 09:34 PM
04/21/22 09:34 PM
Hoover,Al. StateChamps
B
Big Bore Offline
10 point
Big Bore  Offline
10 point
B
Hoover,Al. StateChamps
A quality hunting experience is expensive. End of story. Then again, everything is expensive now. Take your family to 30a lately? A house on (near) the beach for a week, dinner, cold beer and snacks? $10,000.00 vacation. Buy a new truck lately? $70k!

Hunting brings out the worst in people.
Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3656712
04/21/22 09:57 PM
04/21/22 09:57 PM
Boaz,AL
CarbonClimber1 Offline
14 point
CarbonClimber1  Offline
14 point
Boaz,AL
Im po as chit

"I dont quit.. And ill fight alone if i have to"
Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3656747
04/22/22 12:23 AM
04/22/22 12:23 AM
Montgomery, AL
F
Forrestgump1 Offline
10 point
Forrestgump1  Offline
10 point
F
Montgomery, AL
A whole bunch of money spent for back straps and hamburgers.. just let them get some age on them. Best place with the biggest deer we ever killed cost nothing. We didn’t plant green fields but hunted the overgrown sage fields. Let them get over 5, all the extra cost isn’t always worth it IMO.

Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3656763
04/22/22 05:29 AM
04/22/22 05:29 AM
lauderdale co
B
brushwhacker Online content
8 point
brushwhacker  Online Content
8 point
B
lauderdale co
Listening to these storys reminds me how how blessed im am about hunting . Have 2500 acres that i pay to hunt on . Only 9 of us. Pay bout $6k for lease . Bout 650 a piece . Little over $2 an acre. No rules. Shoot what u want . Plenty deer . Most all memebers are family. Never a argument. . Nobody shoots little deer . Wouldn t be a problem if they did.All we do is plant wheat we buy from local farmers in bulk. Use little fertilizer. Lots of turnips. Have best food plots ever. Landowner son hunts with us. Im kinda the overseer of property for years. But i know that could end anytime an im good with that . If i have to pay over $1000 to hunt im done with hunting lease. Plenty public land here an neighbors have 800 acres i can hunt on. Blows my mind to extent folks will go just to hunt a deer . I have house full of big bucks mounted an garage full of horns . Just not that important anymore. I live everyday of my life in woods whether working, hunting or riding motorcycles. Im am truly blessed .

Brushwacker
Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3656929
04/22/22 10:23 AM
04/22/22 10:23 AM
Michigan
S
Sasquatch Lives Offline
10 point
Sasquatch Lives  Offline
10 point
S
Michigan
Nothing worse than freeloaders with nothing invested hunting your land like they own it. I know the feeling. Nobody has time to help with the work but plenty of time to hunt your property. Everybody short on cash for leases but plenty of money for trucks and atvs. Screw them losers.

Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3657342
04/23/22 06:40 AM
04/23/22 06:40 AM
Chelsea
L
Lockjaw Online content
14 point
Lockjaw  Online Content
14 point
L
Chelsea
I spent 6 hours bush hogging yesterday. Only one person has paid me any $ for lease so far.

Looks like I got some good stands of clover established though. One field had 3 deer out in it for over an hour feeding last night. They were studying my exclusion cage pretty hard at first 😆.

Once I can fertilize we should really see things take off.

Re: Have leases really gotten THAT high? [Re: ford150man] #3657397
04/23/22 09:00 AM
04/23/22 09:00 AM
Ramer
ronfromramer Offline
10 point
ronfromramer  Offline
10 point
Ramer
I haven't taken a guest in years. They seem to have a problem following the rules and don't contribute a damn thing. I hunt by myself and don't need anyone to push my wheelchair yet. I hold the lease and do the majority of the planting and the other work that gets done. I'll be 75 in June and hanging in there like a hair in a biscuit

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.