</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Christensen Traverse 300 Win Mag
by BPI. 04/25/24 01:37 PM
FS Walker's Razor slim electronic muffs
by Gary Harris. 04/25/24 01:03 PM
Bikini and Bimini top for boat Free
by longshot. 04/25/24 11:57 AM
Taylormade Stealth Irons 5-gw
by toyota05. 04/25/24 11:28 AM
Coon dogs.
by Lonster. 04/25/24 12:17 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
120 registered members (JohnnyLoco, 270wsm, Mbrock, AU coonhunter, JEM270, auwild, BCLC, Jus_me, Narrow Gap, Shotts, dawgdr, CarbonClimber1, 4ssss, Sixpointholler, donia, JD_Bowhunter1976, Dean, Turberville, Wade, outdoorguy88, Tree Dweller, hallb, geeb1, blade, Bull64, TideWJO, TexasHuntress, AUjerbear, Shaneomac2, Rip Wheeler, 7mmMag, Justice, Droptine-13, beerhunter, AustinC, Parker243, trlrdrdave, MTeague, dtmwtp, Joe4majors, sbo1971, RCHRR, Peach, JustHunt, WPZJR, Woody1, USeeMSpurs, CNC, Mansfield, Floorman1, ALMODUX, Hunting15, 10 POINT, JB71, AJones, MC21, jacannon, BentBarrel, Gobble4me757, Vernon Tull, JDW25, Downwind, MountainTopHunter, JA, canvasback, tmhrmh1, joe_g, RAmerica, AU7MM08, hunter84, JohnG, Pwyse, DryFire, Chaser357, BigEd, lectrode, William, MarksOutdoors, Kicker, Lonster, clayk, slanddeerhunter, Squadron77, SharpSpur, Tree Hanger, Blessed, KnightRyder, Ragu, Takeum, foldemup, auman, jellyhead11, Whild_Bill, Chiller, misfire, Sgt_mike, Geno, Backwater, BamaBoHunter, BamaPlowboy, bn163, CKyleC, Turkey_neck, !shiloh!, mathews prostaff, Morris, 202P&Y, Lil_Fella, sj22, 700ltr308, FX4, 9 invisible), 1,023 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36543
10/22/10 01:19 PM
10/22/10 01:19 PM
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
Wonder why most outfitters and lodges wont allow a hunter to use a mechanical?

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36544
10/22/10 01:41 PM
10/22/10 01:41 PM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
Quote:
Based on forum logic, the following is true:

When someone shoots a deer with a mechnical broadhead and doesn't find the deer, it's always the broadhead's fault.

When someone shoots a deer with a fixed blade broadhead and doesn't find the deer, it's never the broadhead's fault.

The truth is that when someone shoots a deer with either type of broadhead and doesn't find it, it is almost always shot placement's fault.
Good lord we have a ringer here boys! Could not have summed it up any better.

thumbsup thumbsup to ya!

Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36545
10/22/10 06:17 PM
10/22/10 06:17 PM
blount county alabama
I
imadeerhntr Offline
14 point
imadeerhntr  Offline
14 point
I
blount county alabama
I compare this with when some people miss with a rifle. First thing you will hear them say is my scope is off. I missed a deer 1 time rifle hunting and when we met up I was telling someone about it and the first thing he said was your scope must be off. I replied no if I missed it was shooter error and not the rifle.

Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36546
10/22/10 06:50 PM
10/22/10 06:50 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
Cause most people that frequent outfitters are precisely the same kind of folks that can't tune a bow or know enough not to choose an expandable too big for the power level of their bow. When you hunt places where they do the scouting, hang the stands, and tell you what deer to shoot they assume you are an idiot and make their rules accordingly.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36547
10/22/10 07:45 PM
10/22/10 07:45 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd1700:
Quote:
Cause most people that frequent outfitters are precisely the same kind of folks that can't tune a bow or know enough not to choose an expandable too big for the power level of their bow. When you hunt places where they do the scouting, hang the stands, and tell you what deer to shoot they assume you are an idiot and make their rules accordingly.
Dale Carnegie needs new students for the "winning friends and influeincing people" seminar. laugh

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36548
10/22/10 08:50 PM
10/22/10 08:50 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
so whats the difference between a mechanical and a fixed blade when both are shot by idiots?????

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36549
10/22/10 09:08 PM
10/22/10 09:08 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Quote:
Originally posted by BhamFred:
so whats the difference between a mechanical and a fixed blade when both are shot by idiots?????
One is a mechanical idiot and the other is a fixed idiot! laugh I know some car dealership mechanics like that! laugh

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36550
10/22/10 11:45 PM
10/22/10 11:45 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
are you saying that there are no "bad" mechanical broadheads....?
Nope, just saying that being a mech head doesn't make them bad. Are you saying there are no bad fixed blade heads? Ever seen the "Razor Ring" or the "Atom"? Ever checked out the quality workmanship on some of those knock off brand fixed heads they sell at Wal-Mart? Cheap made crap is cheap made crap be it fixed or expandable. But well made mech heads from reputable companies are very reliable. And there's plenty of them out there.

Quote:
My broad heads work every time, don't have to worry about them opening...
Mine do too. I never worry about them either. And I'd be willing to bet I get better penetration than you do with those flints.

The funny thing here is a guy trashing a mech head claiming it might minimally increase a compound shooters risk of losing a deer and yet he himself hunts with a stick bow and flint arrows. A combination which carries a far greater risk of a wounded and lost deer. And don't think I'm knocking you. I'm not. I admire anyone taking on the challenge of trying to kill deer with the most primitive of archery equipment. But lets be honest here. If you are so overwhelmed with the fear of losing a deer that you won't use a mech head then you wouldn't be chasing them with a stick bow and flint heads either. Anybody, "Fred Bear" would be more likely to lose a deer with that equipment than I am with a modern compound and a Grim Reaper.

So why not just admit the following, "I like doing things the old school way and modern things like mech heads just don't appeal to me and that's why I don't like them."

Quote:
Cause they figure without such a zero tolerance rule some guy will no doubt show up with a 50lb, 27inch draw, untuned bow and a quiver full of 2 1/2 inch wide expandable heads. And they are right. He would. You know the guy. The one who thinks his bow is tuned cause the mech heads hit where his field tips do and that his bow is shooting 305 fps cause that's what the IBO rating is for that model. Never mind the IBO speed was achieved with a 30 inch draw, 70lb bow with nothing on the string and the lightest arrow they could fire through it without cracking a limb clean off. They would far rather just have the guy who adjusted his sights to match where his fixed heads are hitting. And nobody I know of makes a 2 1/2 inch wide fixed head for compound bows.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36551
10/23/10 12:13 AM
10/23/10 12:13 AM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
yer a lucky guy todd, ya never had any mechanical thing break down or fail to function as it's supposed to. Deyammm.
No I just find it hilarious that people who trust their lives to mechanical devices every day balk at trusting one of the simplest mechanical devices on earth to work on a deer.

"Mechanical devices, good enough for my life and the life of my children but just too darn risky for something really important like my deer."

Man you guys are a riot. LOL!

A fold from the front mech head like a Grim Reaper has 3 blades that all operate via a simple hinge at their base. And they operate completely independent of one another. So when a person claims one didn't open "At All" that would mean that three separate blades, none of which are mechanically linked to the others, all simultaneously failed to open. That's a triple redundancy failure of 3 of the most simplistic foolproof mechanisms on earth. The odds are staggering.

I check my heads to make sure the blades open easily. If they open from the gentle pressure of my finger, it defies logic as to why they wouldn't on a deer. And I've never seen one fail to do so on a target or a deer.

- Abigail van Buren
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36552
10/23/10 07:47 AM
10/23/10 07:47 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
better penetration with mechanicals???? as usual todd, yer talking about chit that you have no personal knowledge of, just running yer mouth....

I've been bowhunting deer since 1964 and have shot lots of them with just about every broadhead ever made..I like to try new stuff, but I stick with the good stuff. No mechanical Ive tried will even come close to the penetration I get with stone points....thats real life bloody experience, not the internet BS you just spewed......

makes me wonder about the rest of yer posts.... :rolleyes:

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36553
10/23/10 07:56 AM
10/23/10 07:56 AM
Hartselle Al.
n2deer Offline
Old Mossy Horns
n2deer  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Hartselle Al.
Quote:
Originally posted by SnapperSlapper:
Based on forum logic, the following is true:

When someone shoots a deer with a mechnical broadhead and doesn't find the deer, it's always the broadhead's fault.

When someone shoots a deer with a fixed blade broadhead and doesn't find the deer, it's never the broadhead's fault.

The truth is that when someone shoots a deer with either type of broadhead and doesn't find it, it is almost always shot placement's fault.
Thats very well said. thumbsup to you.

Do you want to hear him gobble, or do you want to kill him.
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36554
10/23/10 08:03 AM
10/23/10 08:03 AM
20 ft. up
PSEbowhuntr Offline
4 point
PSEbowhuntr  Offline
4 point
20 ft. up
i used to shoot muzzys because they were all i heard about,i was young and wanted to shoot what everyone else was shooting,i killed a few deer with them,made great shots with them,but i had a long tracking job with very little blood. i thought about changing to a mechanical,never used one and heard bad things about them,so i tried one anyway, and luckily i started with the Grim Reaper and i have never used anything else. ive killed numerous deer with the reaper,never had one run over 40 yards,leaves a hole almost big enough to put your fist through and ive never had a problem with them. i will agree that its the shot placement that dictates your outcome,i think a lot of hunters are scared of mechanicals just for the fact of hearsay like i was,so dont knock them till you try them.

Rifle....not in my hunting vocabulary!
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36555
10/23/10 08:44 AM
10/23/10 08:44 AM
Decatur
chevyman Offline
12 point
chevyman  Offline
12 point
Decatur
Quote:
Originally posted by doekiller:
That is why I shoot a fixed blade. Never have a problem with my Muzzies opening.
thumbsup

Wisdom doesn't always come with age.
Sometimes age shows up all by itself.
Roll Tide
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36556
10/23/10 01:01 PM
10/23/10 01:01 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
better penetration with mechanicals???? as usual todd, yer talking about chit that you have no personal knowledge of, just running yer mouth....
A longbow or re-curve with knapped flint heads vs a 70 lb compound with a 1 3/8 inch diameter head. I like my chances. Not to mention the better wound channel and blood trails.

Quote:
No mechanical Ive tried will even come close to the penetration I get with stone points....thats real life bloody experience, not the internet BS you just spewed......
Whatever! Typical Bhamfred BS. Nobody knows anything but him. Get over yourself. Oh and enjoy riding that mule around cause you don't trust anything mechanical. LOL!

Quote:
and luckily i started with the Grim Reaper and i have never used anything else. ive killed numerous deer with the reaper,never had one run over 40 yards,leaves a hole almost big enough to put your fist through and ive never had a problem with them.
Thank you. Nice to hear from people with actual experience with the head in question. Sort of cuts right through the internet myth BS.

That said I've wasted enough time on this malarkey. Time for some football. Those that know what a good mech head will do from a well tuned modern compound don't need me to tell them. And those with their heads in the sand won't hear it. Adiós.

- Abigail van Buren
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36557
10/23/10 01:30 PM
10/23/10 01:30 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
todd, give me you total experience with stone point kills so I will know you ain't full of chit when you compare penetration of the two......

...oh, thats right, you don't have ANY eek eek

talk about bullchit....stick to stuff ya know even a little about. Like arguing about mechanical broadheads that open every time.. wink

proud Cracker-Americaan

Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36558
10/23/10 09:41 PM
10/23/10 09:41 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
stick to stuff ya know even a little about. Like arguing about mechanical broad heads that open every time..
Ok. Good luck living in that weird parallel dimension where even simple hinges will not function. Must be a b###h getting in and out of your house every day. And say hey to your mule for me.

- Abigail van Buren
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36559
10/23/10 10:41 PM
10/23/10 10:41 PM
20 ft. up
PSEbowhuntr Offline
4 point
PSEbowhuntr  Offline
4 point
20 ft. up
After looking and studying my Grim Reaper that i use,i just really see no way how it could not open. it hinges with a spring inside the cup at the base,on impact the blades actually push torward the knock side of the arrow while they open(continuous motion),its a very good desighn and they will open independently.when you shoot one at a target and its pertruding out the other side the blades will be closed,they are desighned to slap close when they come to a sudden stop. the only other mechanical blade that even comes close to a Grim Reaper is the Rage in my opinion,my hunting buddy shoots the rage and we have noticed that if you bump the arrow to hard the blades will flop open,and in the heat of the moment that aint good. i shot a doe last year around 35 yards and i hit her behind the shoulder and it blew through her opposite leg and stuck in the ground,complete pass through and broke her opposite leg into,she ran no more than 30 yards(with 3 legs) and what a blood trail it left. i have complete confidence in the Grim reaper!!

Rifle....not in my hunting vocabulary!
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36560
10/24/10 07:22 AM
10/24/10 07:22 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
todd, at least I don't go making statements about chit I know absolutely nothing about...I'm still waiting on your vast knowledge of penetration by stone points vs mechanicals...

you might re-read my posts, I never said a grim reaper won't open, I just question why anyone would say any man made mechanical device will work EVERY TIME. Ain't gonna happen.

troy

proud Cracker-Americaan

Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36561
10/24/10 12:18 PM
10/24/10 12:18 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
todd, at least I don't go making statements about chit I know absolutely nothing about...I'm still waiting on your vast knowledge of penetration by stone points vs mechanicals...
If you are out penetrating modern equipment with a re curve/Longbow and knapped flint heads then bless you. But the American Indians (who knew more about flint heads than you or me) abandoned them pretty quickly when reliable sources of steel came along. And I notice they haven't made much of a resurgence since the 1800's. Probably due to their tendency to break pretty easy. Always a lovely feature in a broad head. Guys over at the Traditional Gang forums have spoke of them literally exploding on heavy bone hits. That can't help penetration. The following guy, a long time flint broad head user, put it best.

Quote:
Most of us that use stone heads do so because we want to re-create a moment in our ancestors' lives with the same equipment they used. Stone heads are efficient enough when used wisely, but they're not better than a good steel head. I look at it as another rung on the challenge ladder. It forces me to make closer and better angle shots to get results. It makes hunting the hard way even harder......Chuck Jones
Well said.

You know what's ironic? Expand-ables are not allowed in some states and many traditional guys like yourself see that as evidence they are unreliable game killers. But many of those same states that prohibit mech heads also prohibit the use of stone points. So what does that mean about stone points? About as much as it means with expand-ables. Nothing.

Quote:
I just question why anyone would say any man made mechanical device will work EVERY TIME. Ain't gonna happen.
The problem is that you are holding up the "possibility" of something happening as a major negative while completely ignoring the extremely low "probability" of it happening. It's possible that you might be hit by a meteorite on the way to your car tomorrow. That certainly "COULD" happen. But since the "probability" of that outcome is so incredibly low I bet you don't give it a second thought as you stroll to your vehicle each day.

I've seen photos of fixed blade heads whose threaded ferrule broke off inside the arrows insert upon impact with an animal. I personally had a Steelforce fixed head shatter all to pieces in a deer. Since those things "could" happen I guess we have to stop using fixed heads too huh? If I took things to your ridiculous extreme I guess that's the advice I'd have to give. But I instead see such things for what they are, very rare aberrations of the norm.

The odds of 3 separate hinges on a reaper failing might not be quite as low as you meeting that meteor but it's close enough that like you I ain't worried about it.

Meanwhile a mech head is field point accurate; cuts a bigger hole through deer, yields better blood trails; and tends to put them on the ground faster.

Of course none of those attributes are good enough I guess to offset that 1 in 1,000,000 chance that all 3 blades might fail somehow.

- Abigail van Buren
Re: grim reaper broadheads-problem opening up? #36562
10/24/10 12:42 PM
10/24/10 12:42 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
back to what I said earlier, you NEED to stick to stuff that you have some actual knowledge of instead of quoting others to support yer flawed view.....

Indians didn't quit using stone because it was not a good a killer as steel. Ask anyone who uses stone AND has experience with self made steel points(trade points) and they will tell you the stone is better. Steel points stay sharp longer and are stronger than stone. But you cannot get trade points as sharp as stone points....sharper kills better.

stone points "exploding" on bone..you're an idiot if you believe that. I've cut right thru ribs without damage to the point

I tried some mechanicals when I shot a compound and they didn't kill as fast as my 160gr Simmons Sharks.....

my thoughts on mechanicals are they are used by bow shooters that are too 1. stupid, 2. lazy, 3. ignorant to properly tune their bow to shoot big two blade heads...... :p :p :p

not really, but is's as good as your idea on those that go on guided pay hunts..... thumbsdown

am I getting charged for this entertainment??? laugh

troy

proud Cracker-Americaan

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.