</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Mathews Lift 29.5 for sale
by studchaser22. 07/23/24 09:22 AM
Free to a good owner
by Skinner. 07/22/24 11:26 PM
ISO Aquapro fish feeder
by THALL. 07/22/24 07:37 PM
.357 Magnum for sale
by Claims Rep.. 07/22/24 05:41 PM
Frigidaire Oven
by Tailwalk7. 07/22/24 05:30 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Looking for Lease Property
by Stickem. 07/23/24 07:41 AM
Browning A Bolt Medallion 7MM 08
by extreme heights hunter. 07/23/24 07:29 AM
Sally licks/ hole
by bassmaster95. 07/23/24 07:24 AM
Recommendation for a two man ladder stand.
by Bulls eye. 07/23/24 07:13 AM
OnX or HuntStand?
by DGAMBLER. 07/22/24 02:34 PM
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
4000 acres in Sumter Co. Running the ad again
by Radaralph. 07/22/24 11:20 AM
Hunting Leases Clarke Co
by k bush. 07/20/24 07:54 PM
ORBIS Land Management Contact
by Overland. 07/19/24 04:06 PM
Bush hog work.
by Bulls eye. 07/18/24 09:14 PM
Tuscaloosa Lease - Looking for Members 24/25
by DA_Outdoors. 07/12/24 04:26 PM
Who's Online Now
146 registered members (CKyleC, FreeStateHunter, rhino21, rickyh_2, Hammertime7v2, Turkey, Pwyse, Gunpowder, dagwood, BuckSpear, Narrow Gap, JLMiller, BC_Reb, TexasHuntress, ts1979flh, HoofNSpur, Hunting-231, Justice, HDS64, CrimsonWSM, 7PTSPREAD, donia, BentBarrel, jsubrett6, Frankie, chill, BigEd, cartervj, BrentsFX4, thayerp81, G/H, desertdog, foldemup, Quack Quack Bang, LittleRiverJ, 2walnuts, Whild_Bill, Paint Rock 00, GomerPyle, Bmyers142, Zzzfog, Bronco 74, PanolaProductions, casper36092, Hoytdad10, jhardy, Lec, Holcomb, 3Gs, rockhunter, Brian_C, Tracker, JMertes, Ray_Coon, Skillet, Double Down, CeeHawk37, AU coonhunter, PourIron12, bamapanic, deadeye, Fishduck, geeb1, BamaRedneck94, Lvlhdd, dquick1, Ruger7mag, buzzard, Turkeyneck78, 270wsm, Whiskey9, Davyalabama, lectrode, scrape, Floorman1, Dean, gcr0003, Mansfield, oldforester, Fbw93, oakachoy, Wapiti55, clayk, Fullthrottle, Beer Belly, odocoileus, Shaneomac2, deadeye48, Parker243, Cedar, Mbrock, Troutgreen, BamaFan64, doc bar, 007, Dano, bfoote, capehorn24, MMPineLevel, outdoorguy88, Morris, kanebreak, RSF, Noler_Swamp, Stoney, klay, Big Al, IMISSALDEER, Keysbowman, USeeMSpurs, ColeT, TreeBender, deerhunter_1, abamadude, seapro19, Powers, blade, NVM1031, DEADorALIVE, Calvin, Kelly_123, jarcher38, Bamarich2, Solothurn, twaldrop4, Raven, DGAMBLER, brokefixer, Mulcher, kodiak06, 16 invisible), 459 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Acorns #3282209
12/03/20 03:18 PM
12/03/20 03:18 PM
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 5,630
F L A
T
Tree Dweller Offline OP
12 point
Tree Dweller  Offline OP
12 point
T
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 5,630
F L A
How long is an Acorn viable food for Deer once it touches ground ?

Bonus question : Can a Deer crunch up acorns and let the husks
fall out of their mouths as they chew ? Or is it 100% of the nut going down all the time ?
Some or possibly many small ones are swallowed whole I'll bet. Had a chance to watch ?
Or maybe checked a stomach or two ? Drop the knowledge. Thanks

Re: Acorns [Re: Tree Dweller] #3282213
12/03/20 03:20 PM
12/03/20 03:20 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,162
Montgomery, Alabama
jaredhunts Offline
Puts sugar in his cornbread!
jaredhunts  Offline
Puts sugar in his cornbread!
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,162
Montgomery, Alabama
Evry stomach that I e seen with acorns in it, all the a orns were whole.


It be's that way sometimes.

www.sunpoolcompany.com
Re: Acorns [Re: Tree Dweller] #3282778
12/04/20 01:26 AM
12/04/20 01:26 AM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 144
WSW AL
surgical_grade Offline
3 point
surgical_grade  Offline
3 point
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 144
WSW AL
Viability is dependent upon tannin content, which acts as a preservative.

Red oaks have more because they have to undergo cold stratification (“chill hours”, just like a fruit tree) before it can actually germinate and send down a taproot. Time/ temperature also gradually reduces the tannic acid within the nut. To understand tannin, think of an unripe persimmon. That sensation you get when you bite into one is due to tannin content. Because of this, red oak acorns (water oaks, southern reds, etc etc) remain, and actually increase, in palatability over days / weeks.

However, white oaks contain less tannin and are therefore sweeter, more attractive, and desirable the second they drop. Because of the relative lack of tannin, white oaks must germinate quickly upon hitting the forest floor. Therefore, their palatability peaks and then recedes within the first 48 hours or so. Once the radicle sprouts, the acorn begins to rapidly exhaust its caloric content in order to grow that taproot. Because of this, the nutritious content of the nut decreases greatly, and thus it is less desirable to animals.

Deer will eat an acorn post-germination, but it’s not as common or as attractive once that process begins. I think they allow the survivors to make it until spring, when the acorn sends up top growth which is also nutritious and desirable to deer and other animals. They’ll clip an oak seedling in a split second.


Re: Acorns [Re: Tree Dweller] #3282785
12/04/20 04:07 AM
12/04/20 04:07 AM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,769
Alabama
OlTimer Offline
10 point
OlTimer  Offline
10 point
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,769
Alabama
Knowledge BOMB dropped! Very informative surgical_grade.

Re: Acorns [Re: OlTimer] #3282801
12/04/20 05:24 AM
12/04/20 05:24 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,467
Mississippi
R
riflenut Offline
10 point
riflenut  Offline
10 point
R
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,467
Mississippi
Originally Posted by OlTimer
Knowledge BOMB dropped! Very informative surgical_grade.

Yes it was. Not sure if he copied and pasted or actually knew that off the top of his head but in any case it was good info.


"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

"I ask, who are the militia? They consist of now of the whole people, except a few public officers." George Mason
Re: Acorns [Re: surgical_grade] #3282817
12/04/20 06:10 AM
12/04/20 06:10 AM
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 5,630
F L A
T
Tree Dweller Offline OP
12 point
Tree Dweller  Offline OP
12 point
T
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 5,630
F L A
Enjoyed that. Thanks !

But if they swallow them all whole, what role does palatability play ?
I think they chew at least some.

If i put a big double nut Peanut in my mouth, I can crack it, eat the nuts,
and let the shell fall away from my mouth. No hands. I bet Deer can do this
no problem with acorns.

Last edited by Tree Dweller; 12/04/20 06:54 AM.
Re: Acorns [Re: surgical_grade] #3283365
12/04/20 05:27 PM
12/04/20 05:27 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,047
Madison
BowtechDan Offline
Old Mossy Horns
BowtechDan  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,047
Madison
Originally Posted by surgical_grade
Viability is dependent upon tannin content, which acts as a preservative.

Red oaks have more because they have to undergo cold stratification (“chill hours”, just like a fruit tree) before it can actually germinate and send down a taproot. Time/ temperature also gradually reduces the tannic acid within the nut. To understand tannin, think of an unripe persimmon. That sensation you get when you bite into one is due to tannin content. Because of this, red oak acorns (water oaks, southern reds, etc etc) remain, and actually increase, in palatability over days / weeks.

However, white oaks contain less tannin and are therefore sweeter, more attractive, and desirable the second they drop. Because of the relative lack of tannin, white oaks must germinate quickly upon hitting the forest floor. Therefore, their palatability peaks and then recedes within the first 48 hours or so. Once the radicle sprouts, the acorn begins to rapidly exhaust its caloric content in order to grow that taproot. Because of this, the nutritious content of the nut decreases greatly, and thus it is less desirable to animals.

Deer will eat an acorn post-germination, but it’s not as common or as attractive once that process begins. I think they allow the survivors to make it until spring, when the acorn sends up top growth which is also nutritious and desirable to deer and other animals. They’ll clip an oak seedling in a split second.



That's not true. I have over 50 seconds of experience on acorns and I can flat out tell you that.............. grin


Nathan Carl Goff 19 Sept 2016 - 14 Jan 2017.
Re: Acorns [Re: Tree Dweller] #3283471
12/04/20 07:32 PM
12/04/20 07:32 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 14,507
ArmPit of the south
D
DeerNutz0U812_ Offline
Booner
DeerNutz0U812_  Offline
Booner
D
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 14,507
ArmPit of the south
Originally Posted by Tree Dweller
Enjoyed that. Thanks !

But if they swallow them all whole, what role does palatability play ?
I think they chew at least some.

If i put a big double nut Peanut in my mouth, I can crack it, eat the nuts,
and let the shell fall away from my mouth. No hands. I bet Deer can do this
no problem with acorns.
This reminds me of something...For years and years I've seen whole acorns in deer that I have gutted, I never really thought about why they done that....Then one day while in a tree I had 3 come in and bed down about 30yds from me and I noticed one of those deer kept chewing and spitting something out, they laid down for a couple hrs and got up and walked off, so I was curious as to what she was spitting out so when I got down I went and looked and turned out to be acorn hulls... slap and a pile of them too...... shocked She must have swallowed them whole to enjoy later....


Did you know that Beer Nutz are over a Dollar...and Deer Nutz are under a Buck...


Re: Acorns [Re: Tree Dweller] #3283617
12/04/20 09:41 PM
12/04/20 09:41 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,274
Pisgah,Al,Jackson
coachg34 Offline
10 point
coachg34  Offline
10 point
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,274
Pisgah,Al,Jackson
Deer are like cows , goats and antelope. They eat their food , store it in a special pouch in their stomach and later regurgitate their food and chew their cud . They can eat acorns whole and later can hull them .Call them ruminants.

Last edited by coachg34; 12/04/20 09:51 PM.
Re: Acorns [Re: surgical_grade] #3283638
12/04/20 09:54 PM
12/04/20 09:54 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,655
Lake View, AL
Joe4majors Offline
14 point
Joe4majors  Offline
14 point
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,655
Lake View, AL
Originally Posted by surgical_grade
Viability is dependent upon tannin content, which acts as a preservative.

Red oaks have more because they have to undergo cold stratification (“chill hours”, just like a fruit tree) before it can actually germinate and send down a taproot. Time/ temperature also gradually reduces the tannic acid within the nut. To understand tannin, think of an unripe persimmon. That sensation you get when you bite into one is due to tannin content. Because of this, red oak acorns (water oaks, southern reds, etc etc) remain, and actually increase, in palatability over days / weeks.

However, white oaks contain less tannin and are therefore sweeter, more attractive, and desirable the second they drop. Because of the relative lack of tannin, white oaks must germinate quickly upon hitting the forest floor. Therefore, their palatability peaks and then recedes within the first 48 hours or so. Once the radicle sprouts, the acorn begins to rapidly exhaust its caloric content in order to grow that taproot. Because of this, the nutritious content of the nut decreases greatly, and thus it is less desirable to animals.

Deer will eat an acorn post-germination, but it’s not as common or as attractive once that process begins. I think they allow the survivors to make it until spring, when the acorn sends up top growth which is also nutritious and desirable to deer and other animals. They’ll clip an oak seedling in a split second.



Sorry, but this is all I could think about while reading this.

[Linked Image]

Re: Acorns [Re: DeerNutz0U812_] #3283795
12/05/20 04:56 AM
12/05/20 04:56 AM
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 5,630
F L A
T
Tree Dweller Offline OP
12 point
Tree Dweller  Offline OP
12 point
T
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 5,630
F L A
Bingo !

Re: Acorns [Re: surgical_grade] #3283799
12/05/20 05:33 AM
12/05/20 05:33 AM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 4,366
Jasper Al
E
eclipse829 Offline
10 point
eclipse829  Offline
10 point
E
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 4,366
Jasper Al
Originally Posted by surgical_grade
Viability is dependent upon tannin content, which acts as a preservative.

Red oaks have more because they have to undergo cold stratification (“chill hours”, just like a fruit tree) before it can actually germinate and send down a taproot. Time/ temperature also gradually reduces the tannic acid within the nut. To understand tannin, think of an unripe persimmon. That sensation you get when you bite into one is due to tannin content. Because of this, red oak acorns (water oaks, southern reds, etc etc) remain, and actually increase, in palatability over days / weeks.

However, white oaks contain less tannin and are therefore sweeter, more attractive, and desirable the second they drop. Because of the relative lack of tannin, white oaks must germinate quickly upon hitting the forest floor. Therefore, their palatability peaks and then recedes within the first 48 hours or so. Once the radicle sprouts, the acorn begins to rapidly exhaust its caloric content in order to grow that taproot. Because of this, the nutritious content of the nut decreases greatly, and thus it is less desirable to animals.

Deer will eat an acorn post-germination, but it’s not as common or as attractive once that process begins. I think they allow the survivors to make it until spring, when the acorn sends up top growth which is also nutritious and desirable to deer and other animals. They’ll clip an oak seedling in a split second.



Thanks for saving me from having to type all of that....

Re: Acorns [Re: Tree Dweller] #3283843
12/05/20 07:38 AM
12/05/20 07:38 AM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,164
Colbert County
T
Teacher One Offline
14 point
Teacher One  Offline
14 point
T
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,164
Colbert County
Post more Surgical_Grade. I thoroughly enjoyed and learned alot from your post. I learned alot about tannic acids from your post I never thought about.

B


I can't stand a thief.

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1.1
(Release build 20180111)
Page Time: 0.098s Queries: 14 (0.053s) Memory: 3.2017 MB (Peak: 3.4907 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2024-07-23 15:01:16 UTC
</a