</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Ruger M77 6mm heavy barrel with Nikon Monarch
by bradbathome. 03/27/24 04:42 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Frankie. 03/28/24 04:46 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (HOWTON21, sj22, MC21, Gunner211, BradB, Crawfish, Gunpowder, Solothurn, Young20, sawdust, Auburn_03, JustHunt, donia, CrappieMan, Beer Belly, timberman56, Buck-bomb, AustinC, Beadlescomb, Andalusia, Whitetaillane, !shiloh!, 10 POINT, Forrestgump1, Ant67, Kang, gundoc, Boathand, bodock, CNC, canvasback, Bjoff27, jhardy, Ryano, Kdog, Coosa1, CCC, Ben2, 380jeff, hootn, Mack1, foghorn, Woody1, MarksOutdoors, Paint Rock 00, sportrep, Jbf, hallb, trlrdrdave, Mbrock, brett.smith, IMISSALDEER, COOTER, stuball, jaredhunts, jaderhold, cullbuck, Bruno, millstoneman, Bull64, CarbonClimber1, OutdoorsAL, low wall, chevydude2015, kodiak06, Chiller, eclipse829, bamaeyedoc, Zzzfog, dquick1, Gulfcoast, BC_Reb, jwalker77, Narrow Gap, bug54, deadeye48, btfl, misfire, Rem870s2, BamaFan64, blade, PikeRoadHunter, mzzy, mcninja, Buckwheat, BCLC, goodman_hunter, akbejeepin, oakachoy, desertdog, Smitty4Bama, crocker, joe sixpack, BD, Goose, Joe4majors, click-boom, Dubie, TexasHuntress, DThrash, furnfeather, C3SEAST, 14 invisible), 541 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3286238
12/07/20 10:48 PM
12/07/20 10:48 PM
North AL
A
AU338MAG Offline
Old Mossy Horns
AU338MAG  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
A
North AL
Messicans LOVE goats.

Several years back I had a masonry crew laying brick on a house I was building which backed up to wooded property with a few goats. When the goats walked down the fence line one day the crew noticed them, got very excited and started to come down from the scaffolds. One of them had a big smile on his face and pulled out a knife.

I told them dont even think about it....

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3286306
12/07/20 11:46 PM
12/07/20 11:46 PM
alabama
outdoors1 Offline
10 point
outdoors1  Offline
10 point
alabama
CNC, that greenfield really looks bad. Not sure if due to over grazing or what. I like the idea of letting a field sit for natural soil replenishment if the space is there. The area surrounding the greenfield provides great bedding just don't see any food value there. Not sure if you have other food sources, but if not the area would probably be put to better use planting year round crops or honeysuckle.Mow it all down, throw out some fertilizer, cover thick with honeysuckle seed before a rain in the spring and let it go. Honeysuckle is high in protein and would provide tons of food for you and bedding. I just don't think cattle is a viable resource to improve the soil unless it is like a pen. The cattle operations I see poop is here and there and don't concentrate in one area. That poop can contaminate a water source or even nearby lakes and streams due to high N content and cause green algae growth. Just not enough poop to help the soil and l cows stomping down potentially good browse. Now large cattle operations it seems animals could both thrive in a better manner, but small acreage I just don't see a viable benefit for deer, but beef taste even better than deer to me, so I would probably have some cows if I wanted beef.

Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3286419
12/08/20 08:07 AM
12/08/20 08:07 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
You kinda lost me on that one Outdoors.....that's not a field in the pics.....it's just an example of what the understory looks like across my property.

Of course cows can be used to improve the soil.....We are doing nothing more than recycling vegetation back to the soil. The cows are simply the tool being used. Goats would also be a good idea to throw into the mix.....Again they are not eating up your deer food.... They are resetting succession. You don't hear anyone talking about fire eating up all of their deer food do you?.....The concept is no different

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3286535
12/08/20 10:14 AM
12/08/20 10:14 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
One thing in all of this that doesn’t seem to be recognized is that the understory vegetation is designed to not only supply the animals with food…..but its designed to supply the soil with food as well in a recycling process. When I look the pics I posted I see a massive amount of biomass being fed to the soil….which will make it rich and fertile…..You know a lot of those plants are nutrient miners that are bringing different nutrients to the surface that it brings up from the subsoil….….This recycling will then give rise to a new flush of vibrant, diverse growth for the deer. You cant just try and manage the plant community but completely ignore the soil management…..They are one unit tied together

Why do we not recognize the value in good soil? Here’s an example of what I mean……Let’s take two identical parcels of farmland sitting side by side…..One farm has been using traditional methods for decades and their soil organic matter tests 1% or less…….On the other farm they’ve been building topsoil for years using no-till and cover crops and have a black layer of soil that tests over 6% OM……Shouldn’t that rich topsoil have an associated value with it??.....Those parcels are not equal….One has an asset that the other one doesn’t…..I don’t think we take this into consideration now but we will in the future.

[Linked Image]

Not to mention the increase in nutrient holding capacity....So therefore an increase in the soil resources would result in an increase in the potential amount of forage able to be grown correct?...AND an increase in forage equals an increase in carrying capacity...Correct? smile

Last edited by CNC; 12/08/20 10:42 AM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3287005
12/08/20 08:13 PM
12/08/20 08:13 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
From the link below.........

"Each percent of soil organic matter in the top 6 inches (15.2 cm) of a medium textured soil releases about 10-20 pounds of nitrogen, 1 to 2 pounds of phosphorus, and 0.4 to 0.8 pounds of sulfur per acre per year. "

......so if I raised the SOM from 1% to 6% then that would be good right??.....Wouldnt that make a difference on forage production?

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs142p2_053264.pdf

Last edited by CNC; 12/08/20 08:14 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3287462
12/09/20 09:41 AM
12/09/20 09:41 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
My father in law has around 250 head of cattle already up in Marshall Co......I if dont pick up and move I'm gonna see what he'll sell me 5 calves for and I believe right after hunting season I'm gonna take the next step in this experimenting process and see what I can make happen next summer......Just to get a feel for what is and isnt possible. I believe I can sell 5 cows to individuals around this time next year to have processed. I may even process up one for myself.....If I could convince them to let Shana process them for whoever I sold it to it would be even all the easier since she's just right down skreet.

I have the potential opportunity to manage 1400 acres in this same fashion for a well known hunter in Louisiana. I'm supposed to take a trip down there and talk to him sometimes this winter about it......Its a little tough to think about up and moving though after you've been somewhere for so long. I say this for the purpose that y'all will recognize these ideas are not just far fetched but are actually being put into practice and being tested.....Just imagine how far along your food plots would be if it wouldnt have taken me 10 years to convince you of that part....just saying. wink laugh laugh

Last edited by CNC; 12/09/20 09:47 AM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: bigcountry692001] #3287557
12/09/20 11:15 AM
12/09/20 11:15 AM
Auburn, AL
A
Antlerfluke Offline
4 point
Antlerfluke  Offline
4 point
A
Auburn, AL
Originally Posted by bigcountry692001
Originally Posted by CNC
Is it possible to improve the soil fertility across an entire property…..therefore changing the forage quality and quantity……in turn increasing the quality and quantity of deer? Has anyone ever gone out and tested the soil in any other areas besides your food plots? Are the OM percentages in the soils across the property declining due to using fire? How much could the soil be improved if the carbon we burn up using fire were instead incorporated back into the soil….. increasing OM%......The soil is where it all starts.....Its the foundation

Soil quality has no impact on forage quality. If we take pokeweed (for example) from Iowa and pokeweed from the sandhill region of North Carolina the nutritional content is the exact same. Soil quality does have an effect on forage quantity, the fertile soils in Iowa produce more forage but of the the same quality.

Moderate grazing does have some benefits if you're managing pasture or grasslands. If your management goal is for white-tailed deer I would strongly consider controlled burns. Burning will lower the soil acidity level by releasing phosphorus, nitrogen, calcium, etc.. and promote herbaceous plants and grasses.

BigCountry speaketh the truth. There was a study done on what you said about quality and quantity of forage/browse and nutrient content. You are right on!!!

Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3287571
12/09/20 11:26 AM
12/09/20 11:26 AM
Auburn, AL
A
Antlerfluke Offline
4 point
Antlerfluke  Offline
4 point
A
Auburn, AL
Of course I was kidding about the gum trees and cattle... I think they'll consume a gum tree sapling in a second but I would not think cattle is the answer to a gum infested stand of pines. But I'm not poo-pooing your ideas and I look forward to your taking these thoughts further and hearing about your success.

Last edited by Antlerfluke; 12/09/20 11:26 AM.
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: Antlerfluke] #3287585
12/09/20 11:37 AM
12/09/20 11:37 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by Antlerfluke
Of course I was kidding about the gum trees and cattle... I think they'll consume a gum tree sapling in a second but I would not think cattle is the answer to a gum infested stand of pines.

I'm really not focusing on controlling sweetgums as being the main issue here.....Managing soil organic matter is the heart of what I getting at......What is the average percentage of OM in the soil across your property in the top 8-10 inches of soil where deer forage is being produced?.......What if you go out there and measure it and find out that you're actually running less than 2% or something of that nature and I tell you that you have the potential to triple your potential by growing that OM to 5-6%.......That is the whole idea here.....We are managing the soil on a landscape level....It is true that you cant change the base component of each soil type.....sand is gonna be sand and clay is gonna be clay.....However, you can drastically change the amount of humus or soil organic matter that is present in the soil which has significant impacts on forage growth

Last edited by CNC; 12/09/20 11:39 AM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3287608
12/09/20 12:00 PM
12/09/20 12:00 PM
Auburn, AL
A
Antlerfluke Offline
4 point
Antlerfluke  Offline
4 point
A
Auburn, AL
Originally Posted by CNC
Here’s a pic I found from this time last year that helps show a little bit of what I’m talking about from an understory production potential…..Most of that is over your head…..Its producing more than your typical pine stand burn area that I see….It’s dense and its diverse…..Give me this understory on a landscape scale and lets see what kind of deer herd it produces.....You cant tell me that burning all of this up with fire doesnt have a different impact than if I recycle the carbon back to the soil....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Talking about the area around your food plot in pic... I wonder what the tonnage of "palatable" (key word) production of deer browse is from January-December in situ. To further clarify, this area has been left to develop naturally for a few years. OK... now, let's say you prescribed burned it in February... now, measure the same data in the same timeframe. How would they compare in palatable browse for deer? IDK. Conventional wisdom would suggest that you'd have more tonnage of palatable browse production AFTER the burn. But if there IS more palatable browse production after the burn, is this production limited in time after X # of years burning it and such will decrease as OM decreases?

Also, fire and heat rises so what is the soil temp .5", 1", 1.5", etc... deep in the soil during a burn? And, what is the amount of time under heat/temp such can sustain its positive qualities? Does soil offer substantial protection from heat and how much OM in the soil would you lose because of heat?

So many questions to answer and I'm not schooled in ag or soil. I just like habitat mgm, food plots and managing for deer and try to learn as much as I can from ppl like you.

BTW, I did a Throw-N-Mow in IL this early fall in a VERY grown-up old field area between two very tall ridges that the other guys I was hunting with didn't want to plant. I asked them if I could plant it but I only was going to bushhog it. They said yes and that they didn't see bucks in that areas anyway. LOL! I did and I put a Spartan Cell Cam on the plot and oh my!!!!! When I started, herbaceous growth up to my neck... so, I walked fertilizer, seed and Glyphosate it and gave it three days (I had to lv on 3rd day) and then I bushhogged it. The plot received a good rain on the 4th day and wow... talk about a production growth within a few days!! I planted BuckBusters seed and Berseem Clover and it exploded. I had pix of four different shooter bucks visiting everyday and lots of does and man-alive did that little 1/4 acre honey hole produce some browse and bucks!!!!! Of course, I got the idea from you, so thanks!! My son killed a 5 yr old 11 pt off this little hiddy-hole food plot - a great buck.

Last edited by Antlerfluke; 12/09/20 12:07 PM.
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3287625
12/09/20 12:12 PM
12/09/20 12:12 PM
Auburn, AL
A
Antlerfluke Offline
4 point
Antlerfluke  Offline
4 point
A
Auburn, AL
Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by Antlerfluke
Of course I was kidding about the gum trees and cattle... I think they'll consume a gum tree sapling in a second but I would not think cattle is the answer to a gum infested stand of pines.

I'm really not focusing on controlling sweetgums as being the main issue here.....Managing soil organic matter is the heart of what I getting at......What is the average percentage of OM in the soil across your property in the top 8-10 inches of soil where deer forage is being produced?.......What if you go out there and measure it and find out that you're actually running less than 2% or something of that nature and I tell you that you have the potential to triple your potential by growing that OM to 5-6%.......That is the whole idea here.....We are managing the soil on a landscape level....It is true that you cant change the base component of each soil type.....sand is gonna be sand and clay is gonna be clay.....However, you can drastically change the amount of humus or soil organic matter that is present in the soil which has significant impacts on forage growth

Well, regarding sweetgums in my planted pines areas... sweetgums and pine straw debris (and some other plants that don't benefit wildlife) on the ground reduces, significantly, the sunlight getting to the ground so I really don't have much herbaceous growth unless we burn. How to combat that? smile. I wanna learn!! Thanks for your time.

Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3287737
12/09/20 01:47 PM
12/09/20 01:47 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
It would probably be something I need to look at in person to assess exactly what is going in but generally speaking its not a really complicated formula......you need to maximize the amount of sunlight you can get to the ground.......you need a little light soil disturbance to help stimulate the seed bank and reduce residue buildup......and you need good soil management practices long term that builds OM when setting back succsssion........Take a shovel and go out and dig a soil pit and see what you see.....Is there a dark layer of soil on top of the ground? How thick is it? Send a sample in and have the soil organic matter % tested.......

If it were me in this situation trying to manage with cattle I'd set the woody gum back through chemicals application probably or fire......thin the overstory.....run cattle through it during late winter or early spring to stimulate the soil and deposit seed and manure.....then I'd let it go and see what I had with the intention of rotation the cattle back through later on for another round of the same....more plant diversity should begin to arise....I would probably intentionally pull them from a vibrant diverse stand and run them through your biological desert in order to help bring in some seed. The manure also acts as an inoculant for microbial life...If the understory was really barren it might be a good idea to set out a few round bales of hay for the cattle to help supplement their diet and provide another seed source to deposit in their manure.....Also those areas where the hay bales sit are definitely gonna spring forth with plant growth that might help inoculate the area with seed as well....I believe they call those loafing areas maybe

Last edited by CNC; 12/09/20 02:02 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3288860
12/10/20 12:43 PM
12/10/20 12:43 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
The longleaf pine stand where I just went tracking is a prime example of what I’m talking about……There was virtually zero topsoil across a large percentage of this stand….Its was mostly just what folks call “sedge grass” growing in the understory too……Sure its great for cover but deer don’t eat native grasses….they eat mostly broadleafs….and in areas where there was a little OM on the surface then you saw more herbaceous broadleaf growth…..This stand is burned every couple of years the hunter said……How is it ever gonna build up any organic matter in the top layer of soil this way? Could it be managed for a more productive understory than this? I believe it could if the soil were managed differently.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CNC; 12/10/20 12:53 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3288874
12/10/20 01:04 PM
12/10/20 01:04 PM
Montgomery, Alabama
jaredhunts Online content
Puts sugar in his cornbread!
jaredhunts  Online Content
Puts sugar in his cornbread!
Montgomery, Alabama
There's lots of places like. What will grow in that pine thicket when its older a d shades everything out?

It be's that way sometimes.

www.sunpoolcompany.com
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3288895
12/10/20 01:33 PM
12/10/20 01:33 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
The key to managing timber and wildlife on the same property is to grow timber in a manner that will allow you to maximize the amount of sunlight you still get to the soil surface.....This is one reason why folks choose to grow long leaf.....They typically produce a higher end product that gets sold for poles and can produce the same or more income with less trees per acre long term.....therefore allowing for a wider spacing between them.......None of that really matters though if the topsoil is gone.....you may have the sunlight you need but forage production will still suck compared to its true potential with out soil organic matter.....humus......(see previous pic)

What was the natural frequency for fire in the southeast before Indians or white men tinkered with it? I'm guessing that were burning much more frequently than it did naturally.....Even still though, we can see the principles at hand and manage them in a different manner for better productivity if we choose to

Last edited by CNC; 12/10/20 01:39 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3288908
12/10/20 01:52 PM
12/10/20 01:52 PM
Clanton
Turkey_neck Offline
Booner
Turkey_neck  Offline
Booner
Clanton
I will agree with you on the burning too frequently. I have a large section of my long leaf stand that’s way too open after I got a good burn. I think I’ll stick with a 5 year rotation on that area for sure. After I burned it two years ago I lost most of my better deer. I use to be covered up in nice bucks every year but not anymore. It opened a large chunk up way too much.

Would walk over a naked woman to get to a gobblin turkey!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3288925
12/10/20 02:11 PM
12/10/20 02:11 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Now take the picture of my understory and compare the two......There's more to it than just "Fire" as the answer to the question.....And dont say "Oh well you must just have better soil to begin with or something,....."........because I have pure chit sand like everyone else around here

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3288929
12/10/20 02:14 PM
12/10/20 02:14 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
This is just a little off the cuff in my thinking on this matter but…….doing only backburns would probably be a good idea…..slow low intensity fires that just skimmed the top of off ab duff layer to promote new growth……The concepts here are no different than what we’re doing in our food plots with “thatch”.....If you dont have any duff layer at all to skim off.....then I would think about holding up on even burning period.....

This is where cattle would really help things.....They would help us manage in a little different way to manage these type soils in a different long term direction.....with fire used as well.......just in the right manner.....you just got to use your eyes to see what tool needs using.......We are soil managers and just dont know it.....as a whole we are very poor ones right now too. grin laugh

Last edited by CNC; 12/10/20 02:19 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3288947
12/10/20 02:30 PM
12/10/20 02:30 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Burning with higher humidity levels would also cause less intense fires …….Burning when the fuel was a little damp would help as well……Maybe a few days after a rain when just the surface litter was dry…….Fire is used as a tool to manage the surface residue….not eliminate it……

Just like your food plots…….its biomass management

I’ve said this before but a very, very simple way of seeing it is to just go pull a soil sample and have them do a $5 test of soil organic matter……You don’t have to believe me……the numbers don’t lie…..You can just look and see it in the field though…..Is there dark, rich top soil across the soil surface? How deep and dark is it?.......Is there a build-up of surface litter that’s suppressing new growth? Does the surface litter need thinning slightly to allow new growth?..

Which would be better for our soil with it in these thin conditions……1) to run fire through it and burn up the little bit of surface residue we’re building……or 2) to run cows across…..which tramples most of into the soil and turns part of it into manure that gets deposited…..aka lost nutrients ....as well as stimulating the seed bank

I think as land managers we are literally just understanding some of these things on the surface....... grin

Last edited by CNC; 12/10/20 02:56 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Land Management: Is it possible? [Re: CNC] #3289955
12/11/20 12:31 PM
12/11/20 12:31 PM
North AL
A
AU338MAG Offline
Old Mossy Horns
AU338MAG  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
A
North AL
This is hilarious.

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.