</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Mathews lift 29.5
by Bows4evr. 04/18/24 09:53 PM
Trade or sell
by buzzbait. 04/18/24 05:07 PM
95 Ford F250 HD
by Rudy. 04/18/24 02:15 PM
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
2011 Toyota RAV4
by jsubrett6. 04/16/24 10:00 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by Jdkprp70. 04/18/24 09:55 PM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by jdhunter2011. 04/17/24 11:42 AM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
16 registered members (David Ellis, Mack1, swampoak, Longtine, dave260rem!, jake5050, 10mm, Tree Dweller, auman, sevenup, BRP549, beeline08, Duck, farmerjay, sw1002, Morris), 626 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: Orion34] #3210372
09/04/20 05:26 PM
09/04/20 05:26 PM

P
Piedmonster
Unregistered
Piedmonster
Unregistered
P

I certainly will pose that question, next weekend, at bear camp. I think it's a question worth discussion.

Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: SwampHunter] #3210522
09/04/20 07:41 PM
09/04/20 07:41 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
I personally am opposed to closing the season at noon. When I was a GW I worked mostly mornings, had to hunt a lot in afternoons/evenings. Lots of folks in that position.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: BhamFred] #3210622
09/04/20 08:39 PM
09/04/20 08:39 PM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted by BhamFred
I personally am opposed to closing the season at noon. When I was a GW I worked mostly mornings, had to hunt a lot in afternoons/evenings. Lots of folks in that position.

With the way they manipulate the time now, there are a whole lot of people that can only hunt in the afternoon. It would be terribly unfair to them to knock them out of hunting completely.

A guy that is in a position to know what is going on at the state level as much as anyone told me that turkeys seem to be doing very well on private land; it's public land that is having issues. Why don't they just adjust the seasons on the wma and other public land and leave everyone else alone? I have never seen as many turkeys as I've seen this summer. I can't step out into my yard without scaring a turkey.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #3210644
09/04/20 08:49 PM
09/04/20 08:49 PM
West Alabama
P
PanolaProductions Offline
4 point
PanolaProductions  Offline
4 point
P
West Alabama
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

With the way they manipulate the time now, there are a whole lot of people that can only hunt in the afternoon. It would be terribly unfair to them to knock them out of hunting completely.

A guy that is in a position to know what is going on at the state level as much as anyone told me that turkeys seem to be doing very well on private land; it's public land that is having issues. Why don't they just adjust the seasons on the wma and other public land and leave everyone else alone? I have never seen as many turkeys as I've seen this summer. I can't step out into my yard without scaring a turkey.

I’m also opposed to stopping hunting at noon for the reasons mentioned above.

Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: SwampHunter] #3210732
09/04/20 10:56 PM
09/04/20 10:56 PM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
12 point
turkey247  Offline
12 point
LASW
The entire state of Missouri was daylight to 1:00 pm, prior to the big number decline they had about 10 years ago. The decline was attributed to several bad hatches in a row and weather related. Stopping hunting midday didn’t have any good or bad affect, before or after. That’s the version of the Missouri story as we knew it back then.

Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: turkey247] #3210936
09/05/20 11:09 AM
09/05/20 11:09 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted by turkey247
The entire state of Missouri was daylight to 1:00 pm, prior to the big number decline they had about 10 years ago. The decline was attributed to several bad hatches in a row and weather related. Stopping hunting midday didn’t have any good or bad affect, before or after. That’s the version of the Missouri story as we knew it back then.

I went on a hunt in MO back around 2008 or so, and I've never heard as many Easterns gobble in one place as I did on that hunt. I hunted 3 different tracts, scattered over about 30 miles, and they were all loaded with turkeys. I killed my 2 easily, but I hated the state regs and also all the restrictions the outfitter placed on me, so I didn't go back for several years.

I think it was about 6 years later that I went back, and I never heard a turkey gobble on his land. I heard one gobble twice far away one morning, heard absolutely nothing the next day. All of those draconian regulations didn't make a bit of difference in the world. They won't help AL either. What they will do is discourage folks from managing their land for turkeys, and the inevitable result will be a lot fewer turkeys.

Government regulations do not produce turkeys. Private landowners produce turkeys. If you want more turkeys, do everything you can to encourage the landowners. Long ago, our dcnr understood this, and in fact, that's where I learned it. Most of the opinions I hold about wildlife management is what our dcnr was telling folks back in the 60s and 70s. They were extremely successful in getting that message out, and the result was that AL had good populations of deer and turkey long before our neighboring states.

But now we just wanna embrace the failed policies of the other states. I guess everyone reacts to peer pressure.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: SwampHunter] #3210946
09/05/20 11:28 AM
09/05/20 11:28 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
Charles Kelly understood this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^100%

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: SwampHunter] #3211834
09/06/20 12:57 PM
09/06/20 12:57 PM
mid ala
oldandwise Offline
8 point
oldandwise  Offline
8 point
mid ala
What about Chuckie sikes😥

Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: BhamFred] #3211933
09/06/20 03:26 PM
09/06/20 03:26 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by turkey247

I went on a hunt in MO back around 2008 or so, and I've never heard as many Easterns gobble in one place as I did on that hunt. I hunted 3 different tracts, scattered over about 30 miles, and they were all loaded with turkeys. I killed my 2 easily, but I hated the state regs and also all the restrictions the outfitter placed on me, so I didn't go back for several years.

I think it was about 6 years later that I went back, and I never heard a turkey gobble on his land. I heard one gobble twice far away one morning, heard absolutely nothing the next day. All of those draconian regulations didn't make a bit of difference in the world. They won't help AL either. What they will do is discourage folks from managing their land for turkeys, and the inevitable result will be a lot fewer turkeys.

Government regulations do not produce turkeys. Private landowners produce turkeys. If you want more turkeys, do everything you can to encourage the landowners. Long ago, our dcnr understood this, and in fact, that's where I learned it. Most of the opinions I hold about wildlife management is what our dcnr was telling folks back in the 60s and 70s. They were extremely successful in getting that message out, and the result was that AL had good populations of deer and turkey long before our neighboring states.

But now we just wanna embrace the failed policies of the other states. I guess everyone reacts to peer pressure.

Charles Kelly understood this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^100%

These are true.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: Coosa1] #3213550
09/08/20 12:06 PM
09/08/20 12:06 PM
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nightwatchman Offline
8 point
Nightwatchman  Offline
8 point
Tuscaloosa, AL
Originally Posted by Coosa1
Originally Posted by cgardner
They want birds to breed? Shut off hunting at noon everyday and let the birds have the evenings to breed and settle back down. Too many folks sit of food plots and bush wack them. Leave the season and limits alone.

Now this makes more sense than anything else that I have heard. They do it on the WMAs might as well make it state wide.

It would give us all an excuse to be home at lunch and actually spend afternoons in the spring with our wives...

Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: Nightwatchman] #3213566
09/08/20 12:38 PM
09/08/20 12:38 PM
Hampton Cove
foldemup Offline
14 point
foldemup  Offline
14 point
Hampton Cove
Originally Posted by Nightwatchman
They want birds to breed? Shut off hunting at noon everyday and let the birds have the evenings to breed and settle back down. Too many folks sit of food plots and bush wack them. Leave the season and limits alone.

Now this makes more sense than anything else that I have heard. They do it on the WMAs might as well make it state wide.

It would give us all an excuse to be home at lunch and actually spend afternoons in the spring with our wives...

Is that a joke? If I wanted to spend afternoons with my wife, she could go turkey hunting. I don’t need anyone giving me an excuse to not do something I want to do.

If you want to always win, never play anyone better than you!
Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: SwampHunter] #3213568
09/08/20 12:41 PM
09/08/20 12:41 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there

Perhaps we could have morning shooting hours, too, like with ducks. That would help stockpile more gobblers.

Or maybe we have morning-only hunting and a 3-bird limit. We'd be up to our eyeballs in gobblers in just a few years just like the other states ... that also are suffering declines and problems, too, despite having morning-only hunting restrictions and 1- or 3-bird season limits.

It sounds like we're on the hairy edge of "We gotta just do something!" similar to the gun-control people after an event or the virus-control people. "Do something! It'll be better! Doooooo somethingggggg!"

Unless there is sound biological data that supports a limit reduction or hunting hours change or anything else related, tinkering with it just because, or to appease someone (or a group, like with buck limits and antler restrictions) is not how it should be done. If there is solid data, let's see and hear about it.

The bottom-line basic question always should be, "Would this be biologically detrimental or beneficial? Is this necessary or unnecessary? Is this based on biology and solid data or is someone applying pressure to just do something?"

If it involves money, companies or someone's ego then it should be ignored. Unfortunately, that's not reality.

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: Clem] #3213717
09/08/20 03:38 PM
09/08/20 03:38 PM
West Alabama
P
PanolaProductions Offline
4 point
PanolaProductions  Offline
4 point
P
West Alabama
Originally Posted by Clem

Perhaps we could have morning shooting hours, too, like with ducks. That would help stockpile more gobblers.

Or maybe we have morning-only hunting and a 3-bird limit. We'd be up to our eyeballs in gobblers in just a few years just like the other states ... that also are suffering declines and problems, too, despite having morning-only hunting restrictions and 1- or 3-bird season limits.

It sounds like we're on the hairy edge of "We gotta just do something!" similar to the gun-control people after an event or the virus-control people. "Do something! It'll be better! Doooooo somethingggggg!"

Unless there is sound biological data that supports a limit reduction or hunting hours change or anything else related, tinkering with it just because, or to appease someone (or a group, like with buck limits and antler restrictions) is not how it should be done. If there is solid data, let's see and hear about it.

The bottom-line basic question always should be, "Would this be biologically detrimental or beneficial? Is this necessary or unnecessary? Is this based on biology and solid data or is someone applying pressure to just do something?"

If it involves money, companies or someone's ego then it should be ignored. Unfortunately, that's not reality.

In line with your statement is this quote:

“I would ask the Board to move the season starting date to as late as possible with a three-bird bag limit,” Sykes said. “I think Dr. Chamberlain showed that Arkansas is in a bad way right now. We’re headed in that direction. The sooner we can take proactive solutions, the better. I don’t want to kick this can down the road any farther. Thank y’all for saying you will take this up at the first meeting of 2021 and make a decision. It’s time.”

Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: foldemup] #3213761
09/08/20 04:25 PM
09/08/20 04:25 PM
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nightwatchman Offline
8 point
Nightwatchman  Offline
8 point
Tuscaloosa, AL
Originally Posted by foldemup

Is that a joke? If I wanted to spend afternoons with my wife, she could go turkey hunting. I don’t need anyone giving me an excuse to not do something I want to do.

Wasn't entirely a joke. I love being with my wife as well, but turkey season is pretty short and it sounds like there are people out there trying to make it even shorter. I'd like to spend as much time hunting as I possibly can, and April is right around the time that the other half wants stuff done around the yard and in the house.

The crux of my statement was that no afternoon hunting kinda forces one's hand in fulfilling some obligations around the house that you might not exactly be predisposed to do. I wasn't necessarily directing that at you or anyone, just a thought

Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: PanolaProductions] #3213765
09/08/20 04:30 PM
09/08/20 04:30 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Originally Posted by PanolaProductions
Originally Posted by Clem

In line with your statement is this quote:

“I would ask the Board to move the season starting date to as late as possible with a three-bird bag limit,” Sykes said. “I think Dr. Chamberlain showed that Arkansas is in a bad way right now. We’re headed in that direction. The sooner we can take proactive solutions, the better. I don’t want to kick this can down the road any farther. Thank y’all for saying you will take this up at the first meeting of 2021 and make a decision. It’s time.”

Well, heckfire. Why not just have "no turkey season" for five years to let things build back up?

If going to three-per-season is going to SaVe ThE BirDs! then by golly, we should all do what's best for the good of everyone and not hunt for a few years. That would just bump up things to hunky-dory status in short order.

Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: Nightwatchman] #3213769
09/08/20 04:33 PM
09/08/20 04:33 PM
Clanton, AL
Out back Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Out back  Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Clanton, AL

And paint your toenails and trim your mangina.

My opinions and comments are my own. They do not reflect the position or political opinions of Aldeer or any of the Aldeer administration.
Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: SwampHunter] #3214157
09/08/20 10:31 PM
09/08/20 10:31 PM
Jasper
P
PaytonWP Offline
spike
PaytonWP  Offline
spike
P
Jasper
Winston county has opened April 1st for at least 20 years. It’s possible to go ride for hours around Bankhead and not even see a turkey. There’s another area I hunt that’s completely opposite. It’s almost impossible to not see a turkey while riding around. Season opener has been normal and hunting is allowed in the afternoons. All I can go off of is what I see. You can’t tell me they have all the answers from a 5 year study. They should have been looking at Winston county for the last 20 years to see that a late opener doesn’t explode the population of turkeys.

Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: Out back] #3214232
09/09/20 05:29 AM
09/09/20 05:29 AM
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nightwatchman Offline
8 point
Nightwatchman  Offline
8 point
Tuscaloosa, AL
Originally Posted by Out back

And paint your toenails and trim your mangina.

I actually paint my mangina and trim my toenails. You got it backwards

Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: SwampHunter] #3214474
09/09/20 11:49 AM
09/09/20 11:49 AM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
After reading through this I think the answer is pretty clear. The described decline in turkey numbers has less to do with hunting and more to do with environmental and biologic impacts. Policy makers can change the limit to 3 birds and cut off hunting at noon but it won't have major impacts on the population. We know that and they probably do as well. But, blame it on the 1%ers (5 bird killers) or those that hunt in the evening and you've got yourself a winning political strategy.

BTW, I really like the 1pm end of the season in Missouri but not for anything to do with the hunting. It allows me to have more fun. Afternoons are spent fishing, frying, grilling, and sometimes being lazy. Sitting on the porch saying, "I'd go kill that gobbler hammering over there, but I probably couldn't get it done by 1 so yeah I'll have a beer" has turned in to an annual happening. I do think it is a silly rule and would never support any other states following it, but I'm kind of glad Missouri has it.

Re: April only - 3 bird proposal [Re: SwampHunter] #3214477
09/09/20 11:54 AM
09/09/20 11:54 AM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
This is taken directly from the Missouri Department of Conservation Website:

By the 1990s turkey populations around the United States began to level out. A tenant of wildlife management is that exponential population growth is eventually curbed by predators, disease, competition for food and changes in habitat. Missouri’s turkey population had reached unimaginable levels, close to a million entering autumn, and flocks of hundreds of turkeys in winter were not uncommon.

Although turkey population growth flattened in the 1990s, hunting success peaked in 2004 with a record spring harvest of 60,744. With 98 percent of these birds being males shot after the peak in breeding, this level of hunting had little or no effect on future long-term abundance. Similarly, fall harvest had fallen over the years to a small fraction of the statewide population, translating to little or no effect on long-term abundance or the quality of the spring hunt.

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.