</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO Boat, fishing and pontoon
by klay. 04/19/24 05:31 PM
2008 kawasaki 750 brute force $3000
by CrappieMan. 04/19/24 05:02 PM
Hunting Club Lawn Mower 42" Tractor Style
by trailertrash. 04/19/24 04:40 PM
Sig Suaer M400 Tread 5.56
by AL18. 04/19/24 02:44 PM
truck
by jhix3734. 04/19/24 10:50 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Taxidermist called
by Frankie. 04/20/24 12:30 AM
Tdogs mount
by James. 04/20/24 12:17 AM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
15 registered members (RareBreed, mcninja, Luvbowhuntn, Swamp Dog, NWFJ, Captain Howdy, BOFF, scrubbuck, akbejeepin, Holcomb, lckrn, Grokamole, David Ellis, desertdog, 1 invisible), 814 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Forever Wild Hogs #3187053
08/09/20 11:45 AM
08/09/20 11:45 AM
Mobile, AL
M
Mdees Offline OP
8 point
Mdees  Offline OP
8 point
M
Mobile, AL
Can anyone tell me what the specifics are on hunting feral swine on Forever wild properties? Several that I'm interested in say feral swine are game Oct1 to May 31 but provide no specifics as to legal arms. I know many of the public lands say "with legal arms for whatever is in season" but I'm wondering if shotgun with slug would be legal in Oct or March when it isn't for deer.

Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: Mdees] #3187295
08/09/20 06:40 PM
08/09/20 06:40 PM
saraland,al
S
slanddeerhunter Offline
6 point
slanddeerhunter  Offline
6 point
S
saraland,al
at one time the lower delta was with any legal weapon during any season as long as there was an open season. but they have changed it several times , best would be to read the rules on back of map or call or go by five rivers on cause way and ask the game wardens.

Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: Mdees] #3187493
08/09/20 09:56 PM
08/09/20 09:56 PM
Spanish Fort
TurkeyJoe Offline
10 point
TurkeyJoe  Offline
10 point
Spanish Fort
It’s arms and ammo for whatever’s in season for upper and lower delta mdees. I’m not trying to dissuade you from hunting at all, but I believe you are going to be disappointed with the hog population in the swamp. High water the last two years has done a number on them.

Micah 6:8
Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: TurkeyJoe] #3187545
08/10/20 01:57 AM
08/10/20 01:57 AM
Gee's Bend/At The Hog Pen
James Offline
Freak of Nature
James  Offline
Freak of Nature
Gee's Bend/At The Hog Pen
Originally Posted by TurkeyJoe
It’s arms and ammo for whatever’s in season for upper and lower delta mdees. I’m not trying to dissuade you from hunting at all, but I believe you are going to be disappointed with the hog population in the swamp. High water the last two years has done a number on them.

Sure has...

How many people am i willing to sacrifice for freedom?
Everyone. All of them...

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: Mdees] #3187597
08/10/20 07:32 AM
08/10/20 07:32 AM
Mobile, AL
M
Mdees Offline OP
8 point
Mdees  Offline OP
8 point
M
Mobile, AL
I'm actually more interested in poking around Splinter Hill bog and the Red Hills Forever wild complexes. Maybe Perdido. I have a girlfriend who just fell in love with hunting this last season but we lost our lease where I've been the last 15 years. I'm looking at nearly free options where we can get some stalk hunts in.
I'll contact Five Rivers directly and ask.

Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: TurkeyJoe] #3187646
08/10/20 08:41 AM
08/10/20 08:41 AM
34°25'49.80"N 86°55'46.99"...
gman Offline
Booner
gman  Offline
Booner
34°25'49.80"N 86°55'46.99"...
You say that like it's a bad thing? wink

The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: Mdees] #3189951
08/12/20 08:03 PM
08/12/20 08:03 PM
Stockton, AL
N
NutterBuster Offline
spike
NutterBuster  Offline
spike
N
Stockton, AL
Originally Posted by Mdees
I'm actually more interested in poking around Splinter Hill bog and the Red Hills Forever wild complexes. Maybe Perdido. I have a girlfriend who just fell in love with hunting this last season but we lost our lease where I've been the last 15 years. I'm looking at nearly free options where we can get some stalk hunts in.

I know this gets said in a flippant or coy manner a lot, but there are no hogs on splinter hill to my knowledge. At least not a stable, steady, huntable population. Or at least I've never seen them or the sign they usually leave. Red Hills I have only been on once, but it did not strike me as a hoggy place. Hogs CAN pass through almost anywhere, but it takes a specifica habitat to hold them.

Hogs can be found up and down rivers, swamp systems, and are particularly prominent around areas near agricultural land. If you can find some public on the Alabama or Tombigbee that is adjacent to ag, you will most likely find hogs.

Upper delta has always been any legal arms for that season. Lower delta has always been any arms for ANY season. IE, you can tote a 30-06 during small game season. Two seasons ago I was stopped by Cory Price, I believe, who told me otherwise. I did not argue, even though I had emails on my phone from the local biologist (Chris) clarifying the isse and have also had correspondance with Keith Gauldin before he left, but I brought the matter up at the district office on the causeway and they clarified again that upper and lower delta had different regs. I asked them what course of action to take if a ticket was written and they said come see them. Make of all that what you will.

Delta hunting has been difficult due to to flooding lately, as mentioned. That said, they're out there still. I ran into a nice sounder about a month ago on an interior island. We've had a dry summer, and they have had time to move back in. September 1st usually starts early goose season and archery tackle is legal on upper and lower delta unless things have changed this year. If you have long legs and a high tolerance for being uncomfortable, you can get on them. Just gotta keep walking until you connect.

Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: NutterBuster] #3190114
08/12/20 10:47 PM
08/12/20 10:47 PM
Mobile, AL
M
Mdees Offline OP
8 point
Mdees  Offline OP
8 point
M
Mobile, AL
Originally Posted by NutterBuster

I know this gets said in a flippant or coy manner a lot, but there are no hogs on splinter hill to my knowledge. At least not a stable, steady, huntable population. Or at least I've never seen them or the sign they usually leave. Red Hills I have only been on once, but it did not strike me as a hoggy place. Hogs CAN pass through almost anywhere, but it takes a specifica habitat to hold them.

Hogs can be found up and down rivers, swamp systems, and are particularly prominent around areas near agricultural land. If you can find some public on the Alabama or Tombigbee that is adjacent to ag, you will most likely find hogs.

Upper delta has always been any legal arms for that season. Lower delta has always been any arms for ANY season. IE, you can tote a 30-06 during small game season. Two seasons ago I was stopped by Cory Price, I believe, who told me otherwise. I did not argue, even though I had emails on my phone from the local biologist (Chris) clarifying the isse and have also had correspondance with Keith Gauldin before he left, but I brought the matter up at the district office on the causeway and they clarified again that upper and lower delta had different regs. I asked them what course of action to take if a ticket was written and they said come see them. Make of all that what you will.

Delta hunting has been difficult due to to flooding lately, as mentioned. That said, they're out there still. I ran into a nice sounder about a month ago on an interior island. We've had a dry summer, and they have had time to move back in. September 1st usually starts early goose season and archery tackle is legal on upper and lower delta unless things have changed this year. If you have long legs and a high tolerance for being uncomfortable, you can get on them. Just gotta keep walking until you connect.

It doesn't sound flippant to me. I'm looking at options for afternoon hunts near Mobile without needing a boat and my experience with the delta properties wasn't great. I've been hunting very close to Red Hills the last 15 years and I'm looking at a property purchase in the area so that is an excellent option as public land goes. I know how to hunt that area. Just looking for clarification from others that do it on public land already.

Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: Mdees] #3190147
08/13/20 05:27 AM
08/13/20 05:27 AM
Alabama
OlTimer Offline
10 point
OlTimer  Offline
10 point
Alabama
I don't think that the Perdido Forever area has hogs. I always hear hogs while fishing north of Cloverleaf landing on the east side around Mcvoy lake.

Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: Mdees] #3190311
08/13/20 09:50 AM
08/13/20 09:50 AM
Stockton, AL
N
NutterBuster Offline
spike
NutterBuster  Offline
spike
N
Stockton, AL
Originally Posted by NutterBuster

It doesn't sound flippant to me. I'm looking at options for afternoon hunts near Mobile without needing a boat and my experience with the delta properties wasn't great. I've been hunting very close to Red Hills the last 15 years and I'm looking at a property purchase in the area so that is an excellent option as public land goes. I know how to hunt that area. Just looking for clarification from others that do it on public land already.

Not having a boat makes it tough. Jacinto Port has lots of pigs, particularly when the water traps them between the swamp and 43. But that area gets a good amount of pressure and they stick to the marsh mostly. I've killed a lot of them out there. When I was still going to south I could be there in like 20 minutes, and then I worked for a while about 10 minutes from there. So I got to spend the time getting familiar with the area.

If you're driving up to Red Hills, there's corps land around there that looks way better for hogs. Might wanna look into that. Archery only, and small tracts, but you can hunt them all year. With the size of the tracts though, they're either there or they ain't.

I'd strongly recommend at least a canoe. Or a little jonboat with a small outboard. That opens up a lot of property in the delta and on the Alabama and Tombigbee systems.

Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: gman] #3191682
08/15/20 07:13 AM
08/15/20 07:13 AM
Spanish Fort
TurkeyJoe Offline
10 point
TurkeyJoe  Offline
10 point
Spanish Fort
Originally Posted by gman
You say that like it's a bad thing? wink

No sir, you misunderstood me, I wish they were all gone. Just trying to give the man some honest help.

Micah 6:8
Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: Mdees] #3196295
08/20/20 09:02 PM
08/20/20 09:02 PM
The Swamp
C
COYOTE Offline
4 point
COYOTE  Offline
4 point
C
The Swamp
So, Splinter Hill bog contains few to almost no pigs. Perdido is a WMA, and it also has very few to no pigs. The Red Hills FW tract does contain very huntable populations of pigs, especially the northern most area of the tract. Legal weapons for the Red Hills tract will be shotgun with slugs, muzzleloaders, muzzleloaders, or any weapons legal for small game coinciding with that season.
I am intimately familiar with the Red Hills tract and would be happy to answer any further questions you may have. Good luck.

Be polite, be a gentleman, but in order to ensure your survival, always have a plan to kill, to devastate anything you encounter.
Re: Forever Wild Hogs [Re: COYOTE] #3196465
08/21/20 06:25 AM
08/21/20 06:25 AM
Mobile, AL
M
Mdees Offline OP
8 point
Mdees  Offline OP
8 point
M
Mobile, AL
Originally Posted by COYOTE
So, Splinter Hill bog contains few to almost no pigs. Perdido is a WMA, and it also has very few to no pigs. The Red Hills FW tract does contain very huntable populations of pigs, especially the northern most area of the tract. Legal weapons for the Red Hills tract will be shotgun with slugs, muzzleloaders, muzzleloaders, or any weapons legal for small game coinciding with that season.
I am intimately familiar with the Red Hills tract and would be happy to answer any further questions you may have. Good luck.

Thank you, Coyote. I went and hiked Splinter Hill this past weekend. No hog sign but a few deer. I'm purchasing a camp just a couple of miles from the Red Hills tract so I'll likely be hunting it primarily this season.

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.