</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking for Lowrance Ghost or 24v Ultrex
by bradbathome. 03/28/24 08:17 PM
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Mbrock. 03/28/24 08:56 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
35 registered members (JAT, ridgestalker, lpman, Gobble4me757, Sixpointholler, Ben2, DoeMaster, weatherby, jake5050, Tree Dweller, !shiloh!, Narrow Gap, BradB, jdfarm23, Chiller, WINMAG300, Crawfish, mossyback, PikeRoadHunter, JSOG47, EricS, eclipse829, JA, Bushmaster, DoeNut, kyles, Coosa1, deadeye48, Fedex 1, need2hunt, 5 invisible), 478 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: Atoler] #3191236
08/14/20 01:07 PM
08/14/20 01:07 PM
Santa Rosa/Conecuh
hallb Offline
Booner
hallb  Offline
Booner
Santa Rosa/Conecuh
Originally Posted by Atoler
Originally Posted by hallb
Originally Posted by BhamFred
the turkey population is a lot of Alabama has been going down for 40 years due to habitat loss and predators, way before fanning or decoys became popular. Decoys run off as many or more turkeys than they attract.

Some areas that had low or no turkeys 40 years ago may of had increases, but I believe the net number is a loss across the state.

But Fred, many on here will tell you the turkey populations are as strong as ever and there is no scientific research that says anything should change with regards to the season/rules/limits b/c of population. I personally think otherwise and have the very unpopular position that the 5 bird limit should be dropped to 3. And yes, I know that there's bad asses on here that hunt whenever they want and shoot whatever they want, so in that case the regulations shouldn't concern them anyways.

You’re from florida? Riddle me this....... the state you live in has a 2 bird limit, why are they experiencing the same population decline ? I’ll wait for your answer..........

I don't keep up with hunting in Florida too much but if turkey populations are on the decline, does that mean we should just WTF it and blast away?? Just b/c there are other factors affecting population decline besides hunting(predation, human sprawl into habitat, etc), doesn't mean you just shouldn't do anything. The fact that you admit there is population decline is justification enough for me for lower limits. FL doesn't have near the population of turkey as Alabama, probably 1/5 the number nor does it have the same amount of turkey habitat - not to mention the majority are a completely different breed of turkey than what AL has. Also, FL has 4 times the population of people as AL in general - way more human sprawl into what turkey habitat there is or was. So yeah, I get it, hunting is just one factor, doesn't mean you just say F it.

Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: hallb] #3191438
08/14/20 06:54 PM
08/14/20 06:54 PM
A
Atoler Offline
14 point
Atoler  Offline
14 point
A
the turkey population is a lot of Alabama has been going down for 40 years due to habitat loss and predators, way before fanning or decoys became popular. Decoys run off as many or more turkeys than they attract.

Some areas that had low or no turkeys 40 years ago may of had increases, but I believe the net number is a loss across the state.

But Fred, many on here will tell you the turkey populations are as strong as ever and there is no scientific research that says anything should change with regards to the season/rules/limits b/c of population. I personally think otherwise and have the very unpopular position that the 5 bird limit should be dropped to 3. And yes, I know that there's bad asses on here that hunt whenever they want and shoot whatever they want, so in that case the regulations shouldn't concern them anyways.

You’re from florida? Riddle me this....... the state you live in has a 2 bird limit, why are they experiencing the same population decline ? I’ll wait for your answer..........

I don't keep up with hunting in Florida too much but if turkey populations are on the decline, does that mean we should just WTF it and blast away?? Just b/c there are other factors affecting population decline besides hunting(predation, human sprawl into habitat, etc), doesn't mean you just shouldn't do anything. The fact that you admit there is population decline is justification enough for me for lower limits. FL doesn't have near the population of turkey as Alabama, probably 1/5 the number nor does it have the same amount of turkey habitat - not to mention the majority are a completely different breed of turkey than what AL has. Also, FL has 4 times the population of people as AL in general - way more human sprawl into what turkey habitat there is or was. So yeah, I get it, hunting is just one factor, doesn't mean you just say F it.

It’s a belief of mine, as well as many others, that spring gobbler harvest has no correlation to population trends. Nest success controls that. Contrary to your opinion, I believe there to be positive impacts of a higher limit. Those would be a greater motivation for landowners and hunters to manage habitat, trap predators, and spotlight turkeys as an animal that people are concerned about.

There are tons of states experiencing a decline, their limit and season structures vary from 1 bird and a couple of weeks, to Alabama’s liberal limits. If hunter harvest had an affect, why are those states not seeing a positive impact?

If someone wants to produce some research supporting gobbler harvest having a negative impact on populations I’ll listen. Until then, I won’t advocate to change a system that has been wildly successful for 60 years, simply because people like you start throwing darts hoping something works.

Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: Atoler] #3193235
08/17/20 09:13 AM
08/17/20 09:13 AM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline OP
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama

If someone wants to produce some research supporting gobbler harvest having a negative impact on populations I’ll listen. Until then, I won’t advocate to change a system that has been wildly successful for 60 years, simply because people like you start throwing darts hoping something works.

That’s the Chuckie way....... just like the deer pee thing.

"Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters."

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: BC] #3195654
08/20/20 09:45 AM
08/20/20 09:45 AM
South Baldwin
J
JayHook2 Offline
4 point
JayHook2  Offline
4 point
J
South Baldwin
[quote=BhamFred]the turkey population is a lot of Alabama has been going down for 40 years due to habitat loss and predators, way before fanning or decoys became popular. Decoys run off as many or more turkeys than they attract.

It’s a belief of mine, as well as many others, that spring gobbler harvest has no correlation to population trends. Nest success controls that. Contrary to your opinion, I believe there to be positive impacts of a higher limit. Those would be a greater motivation for landowners and hunters to manage habitat, trap predators, and spotlight turkeys as an animal that people are concerned about.

There are tons of states experiencing a decline, their limit and season structures vary from 1 bird and a couple of weeks, to Alabama’s liberal limits. If hunter harvest had an affect, why are those states not seeing a positive impact?

All of this plus (correlating to higher limit) some of the most consistent hunting will always be on properties that harvest lots of birds...the old nasty birds are kept to a minimum and even a few birds from surrounding properties make short distance moves for the habitiat and hens there.

Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: GomerPyle] #3196676
08/21/20 12:08 PM
08/21/20 12:08 PM
34°25'49.80"N 86°55'46.99"...
gman Offline
Booner
gman  Offline
Booner
34°25'49.80"N 86°55'46.99"...
Originally Posted by GomerPyle

Here's a question.....if "manipulating" the fan by hand to "produce movement" is now illegal, does that mean they can write you up if you use a turkey wing to simulate a fly-down? This is starting to get absurd...
I'm really new to turkey hunting, was wondering the same thing?

The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: gman] #3196719
08/21/20 01:30 PM
08/21/20 01:30 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by gman

Here's a question.....if "manipulating" the fan by hand to "produce movement" is now illegal, does that mean they can write you up if you use a turkey wing to simulate a fly-down? This is starting to get absurd...

They should just make it illegal to have a fan in possession.

Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: Semo] #3196851
08/21/20 05:08 PM
08/21/20 05:08 PM
Smuteye
O
Orion34 Offline
4 point
Orion34  Offline
4 point
O
Smuteye
Originally Posted by Semo

I hope you mean while hunting...

Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: Orion34] #3196888
08/21/20 06:04 PM
08/21/20 06:04 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by Orion34

I hope you mean while hunting...

yes. Only because it seems silly to outlaw having it in your hand but not in your pocket.

Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: Semo] #3199366
08/24/20 03:32 PM
08/24/20 03:32 PM
East Central Alabama
Be_Cam Offline
4 point
Be_Cam  Offline
4 point
East Central Alabama

unless you have a receipt showing you paid them $15 to be allowed to commit the crime .... right? Ain't that the new DCNR version of hunter ethics?

Last edited by Be_Cam; 08/24/20 03:33 PM.

A friend, the Bible and a banker will get you though about anything.
Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: Be_Cam] #3199389
08/24/20 03:59 PM
08/24/20 03:59 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by Be_Cam

unless you have a receipt showing you paid them $15 to be allowed to commit the crime .... right? Ain't that the new DCNR version of hunter ethics?

No doubt there is a slippery slope there. I think a permit to fire off public roadways should be the next logical step. Only non-paved roads of course and only if the deer/turkey are within 100 yards of the center stripe.

Last edited by Semo; 08/24/20 04:00 PM.
Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: BC] #3199430
08/24/20 04:33 PM
08/24/20 04:33 PM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
10 point
turkey247  Offline
10 point
LASW
Y’all still debating this? Read the reg. All decoys can be manipulated by hand, therefore ALL decoys are illegal. Period.

But you think they could get somebody to proof read the regulation wording. What a screw up.

Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: turkey247] #3199482
08/24/20 05:26 PM
08/24/20 05:26 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
Originally Posted by turkey247
Y’all still debating this? Read the reg. All decoys can be manipulated by hand, therefore ALL decoys are illegal. Period.

But you think they could get somebody to proof read the regulation wording. What a screw up.

YOU go back and actually read the regulation as printed in official form. The damn turkey tail is NOT illegal as that reg is written, I don't care what Chuckie says.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: BhamFred] #3199576
08/24/20 06:55 PM
08/24/20 06:55 PM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
10 point
turkey247  Offline
10 point
LASW
Originally Posted by turkey247

YOU go back and actually read the regulation as printed in official form. The damn turkey tail is NOT illegal as that reg is written, I don't care what Chuckie says.

It says - to have in possession a decoy.....which can manipulated to produce movement. As part of the same sentence inside a regulation. How else can that be interpreted?

I’m saying they un-intentionally made decoys unlawful with that. They needed some better wording to accomplish what they wanted.

My point is - just make them legal or not, and not complicated.

Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: BC] #3200057
08/25/20 09:44 AM
08/25/20 09:44 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
Read the real reg.....not someones interpretation

illegal to possess a decoy that has mechanical or electrical parts which makes the decoy capable of movement this is the EXACT wording of the official reg. Tell me where that wording makes a tail illegal.

MECHANICAL OR ELECTRICAL PARTS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: BC] #3200448
08/25/20 06:29 PM
08/25/20 06:29 PM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
10 point
turkey247  Offline
10 point
LASW
I know exactly what 220-2-.11(e) states.

The very first sentence says exactly what I’ve already stated.

“It shall be unlawful for any person while engaged in turkey hunting in this State TO USE OR HAVE IN HIS POSSESSION A DECOY which has mechanical or electrical parts which makes the decoy capable of movement or producing sound OR which can be MANIPULATED TO PRODUCE MOVEMENT or sounds”

Re: Fanning/Reaping illegal in Alabama. [Re: BC] #3200530
08/25/20 07:51 PM
08/25/20 07:51 PM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Online content
14 point
ridgestalker  Online Content
14 point
R
North Jackson
I messaged them and was told a fan on a stick stick in the ground was legal. I’m more interested in using a real wing for fly down which I’ve done for 30+ years.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.