</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO Boat, fishing and pontoon
by klay. 04/19/24 05:31 PM
2008 kawasaki 750 brute force $3000
by CrappieMan. 04/19/24 05:02 PM
Hunting Club Lawn Mower 42" Tractor Style
by trailertrash. 04/19/24 04:40 PM
Sig Suaer M400 Tread 5.56
by AL18. 04/19/24 02:44 PM
truck
by jhix3734. 04/19/24 10:50 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by Morris. 04/19/24 06:13 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
109 registered members (jake44, CrappieMan, jaredhunts, Marbury, Jmoore77, antlerhunter, stuball, Cousneddy, ridgestalker, Turkeyneck78, Rainbowstew, thayerp81, rhino21, Beadlescomb, Six shooter, Dixiepatriot, BayedUp, AUjerbear, Snuffy, Frogeye, Jmfire722, COOTER, Koba, AU coonhunter, Catbird, Pwyse, BearBranch, Bamajoz, BCLC, top cat, rutwad, Ryano, deerman24, 7mmSTW, lckrn, bamabeagler, ALMODUX, CNC, chill, doublefistful, lthrstkg1, jake5050, desertdog, jhix3734, CCC, hallb, HappyHunter, FreeStateHunter, RareBreed, sidehitter, rst87, ThankfulHunter, CarbonClimber1, jwalker77, canvasback, mossyback, sw1002, mopar, Morris, RockFarmer, eclipse829, BrentsFX4, jacannon, Wadenthebushes, GUT_SHOT, strikeu, Pocosin, apolloslade, M48scout, oakachoy, farmerjay, skoor, joe sixpack, shootnmiss, Hornhntr, Bows4evr, eskimo270, Big AL 76, akbejeepin, !shiloh!, Overland, XVIII, Jdkprp70, SouthBamaSlayer, UA Hunter, jawbone, auman, NFHunter, Bruno, jhardy, CatfishJunkie, BAR II .270, RCHRR, georgiaboy1970, TWS1215, fingers, hoytboy14, Davyalabama, GomerPyle, Auburn_03, 9 invisible), 838 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: hunterbuck] #299780
03/08/12 09:42 PM
03/08/12 09:42 PM
J
jallencrockett Offline
8 point
jallencrockett  Offline
8 point
J
Will,

Ok, I sapprecaite your civil response. Your point / counterpoint leads me to believe that you could have been trained AS AN ATTORNY. As for me my formal education is in eoloigical biology/environmental ecience.

I have spent a lifetime trying to throw away any bias I may have an to solely determine a course of action based upon a scientific evaluation of findings.

Where are you getting support from the average everyday hunter? It appears that on this board the majority of hunters are against your proposal. Barry Estss spoke against your "area bill" representing the leading Bowhunting group in the State of Alabama. Please detail without bias who spwcifically is the user group that could possible support your area bill.

Allen

Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: jallencrockett] #299782
03/08/12 09:43 PM
03/08/12 09:43 PM
J
jallencrockett Offline
8 point
jallencrockett  Offline
8 point
J
oops

Thats funny I swear I know how to spell ecology

Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: Dream Buck] #299786
03/08/12 09:48 PM
03/08/12 09:48 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: Dream Buck
Fur Flying,
I appreciate your interest in wildlife management.
Quote:
Feeding year round is supplemental feeding. Feeding during deer season is baiting. You're misleading people by claiming otherwise.
Using that logic then planting green fields year round(warm and cool) is supplemental feeding and planting them in the fall is baiting. Cause your using it as an attractant, right? I been fortunate to learn a lot from a lot of different biologist. Some of the lessons i've learned are that you need a year round approach to land management. Included in that are habitat management, warm and cool seasons plots, and supplemental feeding. The reason the bioloigist give for one of the main benefits is what they call filling in the "nutritional gaps" Nutritional gaps is when the native browse and what you have planted are not sufficient to keep the deer healthy. This can be caused by a lot of factors, one example is a drought that limits your greenfields doing well, along with native browse suffering as well. Another example that is relevant to this bill is the winter months when native browse is mostly gone. These are the times supplemental feeding is beneficial to wildlife and really i would argue they need it during these times. The problem most honest landowners have is they will not feed during hunting season because of a horrible law that doesn't define area, and you could argue this is the time they need it most.

Allen,
We base our management program on 4 cornerstones(Age, nutrition, genetics, and stress) We try to manage all 4 of these well. We have never used steroids, hormones or anything else.
As far as wildlife belonging with the people, i generally agree with you. Since you have an issue with people raising deer, do you have an issue with the 1,000,000 plus released quail in south georgia plantations, or the hundreds of thousands of pheasant released in South Dakota Ranches and Public land, or the bass being raised to be put in ponds, what about ducks, chukar, buffalo, elk, etc. I know great stewards that own high fences and some that don't.
Moral and Ethics do matter, and I'm the one spreading facts about wildlife management, not lies about someone business.

I want to make this clear, their are a lot of people that want this bill to pass(lease holders, hunting clubs, land owners), i am amazed just at the support we have received today from people on this site through emails and phone calls.

This tends to make one believe that the property is at or above its carrying capacity and therefore either the land area needs to be increased, the land needs to be manipulated to provide more forage or the deer numbers need to be reduced, or all of the above.

If the health of the herd is riding on such a razors edge, is pouring food out of a bag really the best thing to do?

Would building ponds or installing wells for irrigation of food plots be an alternative or growing food crops during the summer that can be left standing be alternatives to pouring bait out of a bag?

Baiting just seems like a single minded approach that requires somebody else (in this case the government) to do something, when you could (pending the will) already do for yourself.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: Big Jack] #299801
03/08/12 10:09 PM
03/08/12 10:09 PM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
Originally Posted By: Big Jack
First off let me point out to you that I said Might and underlined it because I did not know about Illinois and Iowa, other than the fact that they kill big bucks there like they do in Texas and KY. I have said on here many times that my experience with shooting over bait in KY, over the past 11 year 3 or more trips a year, has shown me that the big bucks do not come to the feeders during the day time(usually). In those 11 years we have killed many large bucks and I don't recall a single one being killed at a feeder.
That being said, if baiting is legalized if one does not wish to one does not have to use it. I doubt that baiting on private property will pull many bucks off the unbaited public property.

Jack, why did you assume Ill. and Iowa allowed baiting? It's interesting that you lumped all the big buck states and baiting in together.

Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: jlccoffee] #299802
03/08/12 10:12 PM
03/08/12 10:12 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: jlccoffee
Originally Posted By: Fun4all
[quo but government is best when it does nothing! .

I guess I am having a hard time following you. You seem to want the government to keep people from baiting deer on their land, and at the same time you state it is best when government does nothing?

Seem to be contradicting yourself.

A person can already "bait" and provide "supplemental feed" on their own property, so no I am not against that. I am against the sole purpose that there seems to be such a noisy group for "baiting" is because they don't want to have to figure out how to do it under the current regs and will make any attempt of coming up with reasons to justify pouring bait out of a bag because that is how they want to do it.

You can read the "bills" that have been presented and read the comments on this site and see that the proposed "bills" only cause more confusing, discussion, angst, etc because they don't address each individuals ideas of how it should be. For one if baiting should be legal (pouring bait out of a bag), then it should be legal in the States terms on ALL (public/open permit and private) properties and let the land owner determine if it is allowable on their individual properties. But of course the pro-baiters are not advocating for that, they are advocating for their own little "entitlement".

Contradiction I think not, because a person can legally "bait" or provide "supplemental feed" under the current regulations. If the government gets into changing the regs there will be a group(s) that will receive the opportunity and a group(s) that will not receive the same opportunity (opportunity and benefit have two completely separate meanings that is why opportunity was used). The government will only provide more confusion and words on paper that will be interpreted in different ways and therefore should just stay out of the way. Nobody could have stated what the government, at all levels, does better than Nancy Pelosi when she said "we have to pass the bill to see what is in it" and that my friend is exactly what will happen.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: Dream Buck] #299807
03/08/12 10:16 PM
03/08/12 10:16 PM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
Fur Flying,
I appreciate your interest in wildlife management.
Quote:
Feeding year round is supplemental feeding. Feeding during deer season is baiting. You're misleading people by claiming otherwise.
Using that logic then planting green fields year round(warm and cool) is supplemental feeding and planting them in the fall is baiting. Cause your using it as an attractant, right? I been fortunate to learn a lot from a lot of different biologist. Some of the lessons i've learned are that you need a year round approach to land management. Included in that are habitat management, warm and cool seasons plots, and supplemental feeding. The reason the bioloigist give for one of the main benefits is what
they call filling in the "nutritional gaps" Nutritional gaps is when the native browse and what you have planted are not sufficient to keep the deer healthy. This can be caused by a lot of factors, one example is a drought that limits your greenfields doing well, along with native browse suffering as well. Another example that is relevant to this bill is the winter months when native browse is mostly gone. These are the times supplemental feeding is beneficial to wildlife and really i would argue they need it during these times. The problem most honest landowners have is they will not feed during hunting season because of a horrible law that doesn't define area, and you could argue this is the time they need it most.

Allen,
We base our management program on 4 cornerstones(Age, nutrition, genetics, and stress) We try to manage all 4 of these well. We have never used steroids, hormones or anything else.
As far as wildlife belonging with the people, i generally agree with you. Since you have an issue with people raising deer, do you have an issue with the 1,000,000 plus released quail in south georgia plantations, or the hundreds of thousands of pheasant released in South Dakota Ranches and Public land, or the bass being raised to be put in ponds, what about ducks, chukar, buffalo, elk, etc. I know great stewards that own high fences and some that don't.
Moral and Ethics do matter, and I'm the one spreading facts about wildlife management, not lies about someone business

I want to make this clear, their are a lot of people that want this bill to pass(lease holders, hunting clubs, land owners), i am amazed just at the support we have received today from people on this site through emails and phone calls.

Will, we plant around 15 acres of annual foodplots, in addition to perennials. These foodplots are planted in the fall, but provide food up until May/ June. Unless you clarify by stating foodplots planted in rye, wheat or oats only then you are incorrect. I would also hope that a deer manager such as yourself doesn't lump bait feeders utilized during hunting season only and greenfields into the same category. A foodplot available 24 hours a day is very different than a feeder that throws out a pound of corn at 8 am and 4 PM. I'm not trying to get into a debate over which is more ethical but purely from a nutritional and food availability point of view the foodplot is much better.

In the 25 + years I've deer hunted on my family's farm I have never seen a shortage of food for the deer. I am not saying that there are not areas of the state with a shortage of food, but in those situations it's usually caused by thousands of acres of unmanaged pine trees and too many deer. I completely agree that it would be ideal to provide deer with a perfect diet and understand that you are trying to accomplish something 99% of hunters in Alabama are not, but what you are talking about is Trophy Deer Management. Laws should not be designed to produce trophy deer. I think it's safe to say that 90% of the deer in Alabama never miss a meal and never die of starvation.

Last edited by truedouble; 03/08/12 10:23 PM.
Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: Skinny] #299853
03/08/12 10:42 PM
03/08/12 10:42 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: Skinny
Will, you are doing yourself a disservice by talking, sometimes silence is a useful strategy.

Regardless of the fancy talk ... Is there anyone here that thinks that "Area" ahould not be explicitly defined?

If it is defined quantitatively (dang there I go with fancy talk grin) will that provide all hunters with the same opportunity? No, because it will exclude some land owners and favor others and therefore does not "solve" the created "problem". Either "baiting" (pouring bait out of a bag) should be allowed with no stipulations on all properties or not allowed at all.

Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: 49er] #299875
03/08/12 10:56 PM
03/08/12 10:56 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
Originally Posted By: 49er
Bear in mind that this amendment only applies to hunting deer.

If you kill a member of any other species, the game warden may call Montgomery and invoke the "square mile" area standard instead of the "out of sight and 100 yds away" standard.

More worthless confusion and added vaguness, IMO.

Repeal the baiting laws and be done with this mess.

Got to agree. Dream, if this was simply an attempt to define area then simply make baiting legal and don't worry about what "area" means. If I can sit in a stand 101 yds from a feeder, hidden behind a tree, filled with corn and/or something else and shoot a deer within 5' of it, it is clearly baiting. Don't hide it behind "defining area" or "supplemental feed". We all know how this will be used. I don't care one way or another but call a spade a spade.

Why would this bill NOT address other species?

Last edited by gobbler; 03/08/12 10:59 PM.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: Dream Buck] #299884
03/08/12 11:07 PM
03/08/12 11:07 PM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
can you imagine hunting turkeys 100 yards from a feeder? set up feeder 200 yds from roost tree, sit down 100 yds from roosted birds (100 yds from feeder) and wait until the turkeys walk by and then pull the trigger. If there is one animal that is a sucker for corn it is a turkey.

Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: gobbler] #299893
03/08/12 11:24 PM
03/08/12 11:24 PM
Luverne, AL
Skinny Offline
GUVNER
Skinny  Offline
GUVNER
Luverne, AL
Originally Posted By: gobbler
Originally Posted By: 49er
Bear in mind that this amendment only applies to hunting deer.

If you kill a member of any other species, the game warden may call Montgomery and invoke the "square mile" area standard instead of the "out of sight and 100 yds away" standard.

More worthless confusion and added vaguness, IMO.

Repeal the baiting laws and be done with this mess.

Got to agree. Dream, if this was simply an attempt to define area then simply make baiting legal and don't worry about what "area" means. If I can sit in a stand 101 yds from a feeder, hidden behind a tree, filled with corn and/or something else and shoot a deer within 5' of it, it is clearly baiting. Don't hide it behind "defining area" or "supplemental feed". We all know how this will be used. I don't care one way or another but call a spade a spade.

Why would this bill NOT address other species?

I am all about calling a spade a spade. And this bill is flat out a legalized baiting bill. It is a legalized baiting bill on private property, not public land. Private land owners in the U.S. have rights just like you have the right to shoot squirrels off your bird feeder in the suburbs. Oh I'm sorry you are within 200 yards of a public school, you need to be put in jail for two years for shooting a squirrel with your BB gun.

Never Trust Government

"You can be broke but you cant be poor." Ruthie-May Webster
Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: Dream Buck] #299925
03/09/12 02:56 AM
03/09/12 02:56 AM
Marshall County
FurFlyin Offline
Freak of Nature
FurFlyin  Offline
Freak of Nature
Marshall County
Another example that is relevant to this bill is the winter months when native browse is mostly gone. These are the times supplemental feeding is beneficial to wildlife and really i would argue they need it during these times. The problem most honest landowners have is they will not feed during hunting season because of a horrible law that doesn't define area, and you could argue this is the time they need it most.

Another example that is relevant to why this bill isn't worded properly is February. THE month when deer season is over, when native browse is mostly gone and when mast crops are mostly gone. THE hardest month of the year on deer. Take away the feed, body weights crash, health rapidly declines.

HORRIBLE law? Defined as a law contrary to your opinion. I agree the current law should be reworded to actually define an area where feeding can take place during the season but face it, you want to legalize baiting deer, this is not some valiant attempt at correcting a horrible law.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: Dream Buck] #299952
03/09/12 08:27 AM
03/09/12 08:27 AM
Hueytown, Al.
S
smokinya Offline
4 point
smokinya  Offline
4 point
S
Hueytown, Al.
" About 350 deer roam the ranch's 1,400 fenced acres, drawing hunters from all over in search of the trophy buck of a lifetime "

This quote is from the link on page one of this thread about Dream Bucks High fenced pay hunt operations and is the reason Will wants to be able to bait his property. 350 deer on 1400 acres is a lot of deer and with this many I am sure it is hard to keep them healthy during winter months. Will is averaging almost 175 deer per square mile………..2-3 maybe even more times the norm in Alabama. So he has 2 choices available to deal with the issue.......kill more deer until the land can support the number of deer on the property or try and change the rules to allow baiting. One choice only affects Will and the baiting choice affects everyone and would allow Will to make more money which is the real reason for him pushing SB-346.

Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: smokinya] #299957
03/09/12 08:39 AM
03/09/12 08:39 AM
AL
H
hunterbuck Offline
Booner
hunterbuck  Offline
Booner
H
AL
Originally Posted By: smokinya
" About 350 deer roam the ranch's 1,400 fenced acres, drawing hunters from all over in search of the trophy buck of a lifetime "

This quote is from the link on page one of this thread about Dream Bucks High fenced pay hunt operations and is the reason Will wants to be able to bait his property. 350 deer on 1400 acres is a lot of deer and with this many I am sure it is hard to keep them healthy during winter months. Will is averaging almost 175 deer per square mile………..2-3 maybe even more times the norm in Alabama. So he has 2 choices available to deal with the issue.......kill more deer until the land can support the number of deer on the property or try and change the rules to allow baiting. One choice only affects Will and the baiting choice affects everyone and would allow Will to make more money which is the real reason for him pushing SB-346.

Good research, smokinya...that's the point I was getting at when I asked Dream Buck the question earlier. No wonder there are "nutritional gaps", as he calls it. I've never heard of many (if any) deer enclosures that didn't have an abnormally high population of deer. He ASSURED me that isn't the case inside their enclosure, however.

1 deer for every 4 acres inside that enclosure.

"You think I care? Roll Damn Tide"

Have you tried Google?
Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: Dream Buck] #299978
03/09/12 09:06 AM
03/09/12 09:06 AM
Hoover
burbank Offline
Booner
burbank  Offline
Booner
Hoover
Yea, if your for it/against it I'm OK. However, do not hide behind deer nutrition. This is a baiting bill, plain and simple.

And more food helps Will grow bigger deer. That is what this is all about.

High fence guys will never get much sympathy around these parts.

Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: burbank] #300030
03/09/12 10:00 AM
03/09/12 10:00 AM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
Originally Posted By: burbank
Yea, if your for it/against it I'm OK. However, do not hide behind deer nutrition. This is a baiting bill, plain and simple.

And more food helps Will grow bigger deer. That is what this is all about.

High fence guys will never get much sympathy around these parts.

I don't think he's asking for your sympathy or hiding behind anything. He just wants the freedom to make his own choices on his own property.

You don't like Sarah Brady telling you how to defend yourself. He don't like you telling him how to use his property.

Liberals ain't always yankees or gun control nuts. We've got plenty of liberals right here amoung us in this discussion.

Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: 49er] #300033
03/09/12 10:07 AM
03/09/12 10:07 AM
Hoover
burbank Offline
Booner
burbank  Offline
Booner
Hoover

Uh, yea he is. He has the freedom to supplemental feed TODAY. How is this law improving his freedom? I usually follow your logic, but you fell off the wagon this time.

I agree that if he wants to put out corn he should be allowed to. I just don't like the way he is presenting it.

Last edited by burbank; 03/09/12 10:08 AM.
Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: burbank] #300047
03/09/12 10:19 AM
03/09/12 10:19 AM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
Quote:
He has the freedom to supplemental feed TODAY.

... but when hunting season opens, that freedom is restricted by whatever the game warden's idea of the affected area is.

Why is it the game warden's business to begin with. That's the real question.

Can you answer that question?

Here's one reason I think it's not the game warden's business:
Quote:
SECTION 35
Objective of government.

That the sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions it is usurpation and oppression.

Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: Dream Buck] #300051
03/09/12 10:23 AM
03/09/12 10:23 AM
Hoover
burbank Offline
Booner
burbank  Offline
Booner
Hoover
I can't. But you KNOW that is not this guys angle. If you own 1400 acres, you have plenty of places to feed that won't have a hunter near them. When you can legally hunt 100 yards from a feeder, it IS hunting over bait. All that I am saying 49er is that we just call it what it is....and do away with all restrictions.

And I agree with you. Unless it is proven to be an issue for the overall health of the herd...the state should not be involved in how he manages his land.

Last edited by burbank; 03/09/12 10:24 AM.
Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: burbank] #300059
03/09/12 10:32 AM
03/09/12 10:32 AM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
You don't agree with me if you think the state is charged with taking care of the "health of the herd". You won't find that in our game and fish laws.

If disease or management practices threaten the conservation, protection and increase of the species, then that's the state's business. Any other aspects of "herd health" is not within the authority that was delegated to the DCNR on privately owned or leased lands. That authority is limited to WMAs by law.

Re: SB 346 passed committee [Re: Dream Buck] #300068
03/09/12 10:51 AM
03/09/12 10:51 AM
Hoover
burbank Offline
Booner
burbank  Offline
Booner
Hoover
"If disease or management practices threaten the conservation, protection and increase of the species, then that's the state's business"

Dude, that IS health of the herd in a nutshell.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.