</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Ruger M77 6mm heavy barrel with Nikon Monarch
by bradbathome. 03/27/24 04:42 PM
Carpet Installation Equipment
by hunter84. 03/27/24 07:12 AM
$20013hp all-power side shaft generator motor
by HollerHunter. 03/26/24 07:43 PM
Serious Deer Talk
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
The Hollywood Buck.
by daylate. 03/28/24 10:08 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
131 registered members (AU338MAG, JoeBuck, seminole1, AustinC, Keysbowman, Skullworks, 300gr, canichols424, longshot, Gut Pile 32, IDOT, desertdog, dagwood, trailmix, CAL, RockFarmer, coldtrail, Scout308, JKlep, BrandonClark, AU7MM08, metalmuncher, gatorbait154, FastXD, Backwards cowboy, dsmc, clayk, DryFire, sawdust, jarcher38, SEWoodsWhitetail, Backwater, BD, hunter84, Ryano, BhamFred, Lockjaw, Turkeyhunter12, Bama_Bow_Hunter, chevydude2015, 7mmMag, hhsdc78, akbejeepin, Bruno, MarkAlan, Chiller, CNC, Nightwatchman, goodman_hunter, taggedout, BentBarrel, fur_n_feathers, Bread, BCLC, Ron A., The Big Cheese, Jotjackson, 3Gs, Ant67, joeml18, BrentsFX4, bigfoot15, jaredhunts, sportrep, johnv, JA, jsubrett6, HollerHunter, Luvbowhuntn, hallb, brianr, roll_tide_hunts, catdoctor, WPZJR, Solothurn, tmhrmh1, wk2hnt, Floorman1, Garndawg, cdaddy14, 7PTSPREAD, Fishduck, Gobble4me757, abolt300, klay, Exhoosier, mashburn, deadeye48, slippinlipjr, tucker07, TwentySeven, aucountry, jwalker77, trlrdrdave, Joe4majors, Roondog, cchoque93, PaleHorse, dtmwtp, Forrestgump1, somedude, phinfan, Daniel4191, Paxamus, jdstephen44, Ray_Coon, RebFormanUDA, odocoileus, WEMOhunter, Treelimb, brett.smith, JB71, 202P&Y, HHSyelper, Mbrock, Hunter454, HBWALKER14, BigEd, GomerPyle, DGAMBLER, JD_Bowhunter1976, 10 invisible), 457 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: doekiller] #2931623
10/21/19 08:36 AM
10/21/19 08:36 AM
Some Marriott/Auburn
A
AU7MM08 Online content
Booner
AU7MM08  Online Content
Booner
A
Some Marriott/Auburn
Originally Posted by doekiller
Originally Posted by GomerPyle

I've found that in a lot of these cases where super young kids are "killing" deer, if you really dig you find that dad or grandpa was holding the rifle and aiming it, and they told Junior to reach over and touch the trigger. Then, of course, they plaster "Junior's First Deer" grip-and-grin picture on Facebook to try to impress all their "friends"......

DW, people are stupid.

I know a couple of people who did that with their kids. I can’t understand the need to beat your chest like that and act like your life Ling child killed a deer.

Social media dick measuring is the likely explanation I believe.

Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: doekiller] #2931624
10/21/19 08:37 AM
10/21/19 08:37 AM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Online content
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Online Content
Northport, AL
Originally Posted by doekiller
Originally Posted by GomerPyle

I've found that in a lot of these cases where super young kids are "killing" deer, if you really dig you find that dad or grandpa was holding the rifle and aiming it, and they told Junior to reach over and touch the trigger. Then, of course, they plaster "Junior's First Deer" grip-and-grin picture on Facebook to try to impress all their "friends"......

DW, people are stupid.

I know a couple of people who did that with their kids. I can’t understand the need to beat your chest like that and act like your life Ling child killed a deer.

because a lot of people just can't help but feel a need to one-up one another......and I think social media has just thrown gas on that fire.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: daniel white] #2931631
10/21/19 08:44 AM
10/21/19 08:44 AM
HSV AL
jmudler Offline
Freak of Nature
jmudler  Offline
Freak of Nature
HSV AL
My uncle taught me how to shoot a sling shot, then a bb gun (nothing was safe on the property) then a 410 as a child. I enjoyed shooting, always have. I did not get into deer hunting until 5 years ago. Learning a lot but lack the knowledge most on here have. My oldest hated hunting. My youngest has come a couple of times but lacked interest. This year he has talked and talked about going to the family land and hunt. After many conversations I learned he wants to spend time with the men in his life (Dad uncle and granddad) vs actually hunting. I think we fast forward our kids into preteen/adulthood activities too fast. Kid needs to be a kid.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.
Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: daniel white] #2931644
10/21/19 08:57 AM
10/21/19 08:57 AM
Gee's Bend/At The Hog Pen
James Offline
Freak of Nature
James  Offline
Freak of Nature
Not enough opportunities. Folks are beeching all the time about small game hunters, majority of the clubs around here don't want you hunting squirrels or rabbits coons anymore.

How many people am i willing to sacrifice for freedom?
Everyone. All of them...

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: NSDQ160] #2931646
10/21/19 09:01 AM
10/21/19 09:01 AM
James Offline
Freak of Nature
James  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by NSDQ160
I would venture to say most folks don’t know how to rabbit and squirrel hunt and that’s why they’re not taking their kids. I am a self taught hunter and it was easy to find resources to learn about deer and Turkey hunting but I couldn’t find anything on small game when I wanted to learn. I just had to find old men and ask questions.

Rabbit/Squirrel hunting isn't rocket science just saying

Everyone. All of them...

Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: James] #2931655
10/21/19 09:05 AM
10/21/19 09:05 AM
North Alabama
N
NSDQ160 Offline
8 point
NSDQ160  Offline
8 point
N
North Alabama
Originally Posted by James
I would venture to say most folks don’t know how to rabbit and squirrel hunt and that’s why they’re not taking their kids. I am a self taught hunter and it was easy to find resources to learn about deer and Turkey hunting but I couldn’t find anything on small game when I wanted to learn. I just had to find old men and ask questions.

Well of course, you know that because you were taught how and learned that. I know that now because I learned that...… but imagine never being on a squirrel hunt or rabbit hunt. Only been deer hunting a few times and decide you're going to go figure out how to squirrel hunt. It's kind of a different approach.

Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: NSDQ160] #2931665
10/21/19 09:14 AM
10/21/19 09:14 AM
James Offline
Freak of Nature
James  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by James

Well of course, you know that because you were taught how and learned that. I know that now because I learned that...… but imagine never being on a squirrel hunt or rabbit hunt. Only been deer hunting a few times and decide you're going to go figure out how to squirrel hunt. It's kind of a different approach.

Pretty much learned on my own when i was a kid, my stepdad didn't hunt besides that he was gone from 6 to 5 everyday, rarely talked to my dad when i was a child, i just hit the 10 acres behind the house and got after em. Learned real quick that rabbit is probably the most foul smelling critter to gut 🤮 Still is in my book. Guess that's why i haven't shot one in over 20 years....

Everyone. All of them...

Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: daniel white] #2931799
10/21/19 11:52 AM
10/21/19 11:52 AM
Oxford, AL. USA
Big Game Hunter Offline
Doesn’t Know His Code
Big Game Hunter  Offline
Doesn’t Know His Code
Oxford, AL. USA
I started mine out squirrel hunting and hunting other small game. Admittedly, I probably started them too early at trying to kill a deer. Truthfully that was more for me than for them. I was taking my son and his sister with me when they were 3 years old to a shooting house. It was more of spending time together with them than try to actually hunt.

I have made my kids deer hunting too easy and I realize that. For me, like some of y'all, I had to learn the hard way. My dad didn't hunt but he was willing to take me to the woods whenever I wanted to go. I learned all I know on my own. I had a burning desire to be in the woods at all times for as long as I can remember. Neither of my kids have the same desire. They both enjoy it but not like I did. I have always made a point to show my kids how to scout other than let's just go sit in a box and wait.

I know that a lot of guys that hunt aren't woods wise therefore they can't teach their kids those skills.

IKNOWMYPHUCKINGCODEDAMMITYOUDICKHEAD!!!
Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: daniel white] #2931836
10/21/19 12:35 PM
10/21/19 12:35 PM
alabama
BhamFred Online mad
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Online Mad
Freak of Nature
alabama
I carried(literally) my oldest daughter deer and turkey hunting with me when she was maybe three. She carried a .22 Chipmunk rifle skwerl hunting at five, killed her first deer at seven. This was in the early/mid 80's. She would get mad if I didn't take her. Her sister, middle daughter, liked to go but didn't want to shoot anything, fine with me. She helped drag and skin though. Youngest daughter went everywhere with me, killed her first deer at nine. I would carry all three of them together hunting when I lived in Greene Co, good times.

My grandson started going with me when he was still in diapers, turkey hunting with my wife in diapers. Called his first turkey in when maybe three with a slate call. He started on a .22 at two years old, could outshoot his momma at three. Killed a BIG eight point that same year and cut his eye on the scope. He was very proud of that scope cut!!!! He killed a number of deer when he was 5,6,7,8 years old. Killed two hogs with a knife when he was seven with Danny Drinkard. He is 13 now and absolutely loves the outdoors, has killed a good buck the last three years running with a 243. He tracked his buck last year for maybe 125 yards by himself after shooting it at 75 yards.

Social media ain't got chitt to do with it and only a select few folks ever see any pics of him with game he has killed. He and I do it because we both love the outdoors. He will grow to be a fine outdoorsman and gentlemen.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: BhamFred] #2931839
10/21/19 12:37 PM
10/21/19 12:37 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Online content
GomerPyle  Online Content
Northport, AL
Originally Posted by BhamFred
I carried(literally) my oldest daughter deer and turkey hunting with me when she was maybe three. She carried a .22 Chipmunk rifle skwerl hunting at five, killed her first deer at seven. This was in the early/mid 80's. She would get mad if I didn't take her. Her sister, middle daughter, liked to go but didn't want to shoot anything, fine with me. She helped drag and skin though. Youngest daughter went everywhere with me, killed her first deer at nine. I would carry all three of them together hunting when I lived in Greene Co, good times.

My grandson started going with me when he was still in diapers, turkey hunting with my wife in diapers. Called his first turkey in when maybe three with a slate call. He started on a .22 at two years old, could outshoot his momma at three. Killed a BIG eight point that same year and cut his eye on the scope. He was very proud of that scope cut!!!! He killed a number of deer when he was 5,6,7,8 years old. Killed two hogs with a knife when he was seven with Danny Drinkard. He is 13 now and absolutely loves the outdoors, has killed a good buck the last three years running with a 243. He tracked his buck last year for maybe 125 yards by himself after shooting it at 75 yards.

Social media ain't got chitt to do with it and only a select few folks ever see any pics of him with game he has killed. He and I do it because we both love the outdoors. He will grow to be a fine outdoorsman and gentlemen.

That's all awesome, but you know as well as I do that that is the exception, not the rule.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: daniel white] #2932026
10/21/19 03:59 PM
10/21/19 03:59 PM
alabama
BhamFred Online mad
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Online Mad
Freak of Nature
alabama
doesn't have to be the exception for a LOT of folks, but most are not willing to put in the time to carry their kids at every chance, to give up opportunities to kill game to have those kids along. I "taught" my kids and grandkid about everything we saw in the woods from scrapes, to tracks, to how to see deer, to how to age deer on the hoof. It takes a lot of time and dedication to do this. Most dads won't make the time to do it.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: daniel white] #2932050
10/21/19 04:26 PM
10/21/19 04:26 PM
IN
P
ParrotHead89 Offline
10 point
ParrotHead89  Offline
10 point
P
IN
I use to go through 2 Crossman 766 classics a year when i was a pup. Never went outside with out it

Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: BhamFred] #2932087
10/21/19 04:54 PM
10/21/19 04:54 PM
Oxford, AL. USA
Big Game Hunter Offline
Doesn’t Know His Code
Big Game Hunter  Offline
Doesn’t Know His Code
Oxford, AL. USA
doesn't have to be the exception for a LOT of folks, but most are not willing to put in the time to carry their kids at every chance, to give up opportunities to kill game to have those kids along. I "taught" my kids and grandkid about everything we saw in the woods from scrapes, to tracks, to how to see deer, to how to age deer on the hoof. It takes a lot of time and dedication to do this. Most dads won't make the time to do it.

Very true.

IKNOWMYPHUCKINGCODEDAMMITYOUDICKHEAD!!!
Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: daniel white] #2932275
10/21/19 08:04 PM
10/21/19 08:04 PM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
I haven't coon, squirrel or rabbit hunted in a long long time. Like more than 25 years. But I did a lot of it growing up all the way through college years. This thread has me reminiscing about walking the farm with my grandfather.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2932287
10/21/19 08:12 PM
10/21/19 08:12 PM
Alabama
Jakethesnake Offline
The Flippin’ Idiot That Could Care Less
Jakethesnake  Offline
The Flippin’ Idiot That Could Care Less
Alabama
Originally Posted by Big Game Hunter

Very true.

Everything i do off work for fun, involves my wife and boy. Hunt and fish together. I never go without them. Its like im on a mission to teach them. I just hope he carries it like i did. But if he dont, i know i tried 200%.

Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: daniel white] #2932303
10/21/19 08:25 PM
10/21/19 08:25 PM
Molino, Fl
T
Tightline Offline
3 point
Tightline  Offline
3 point
T
Molino, Fl
From my experience, Xbox is the devil. If they play video games regular, and/or have their own phone before 10yrs old, they'd rather do that than hunt.
I'll bet BhamFred's grand's aren't into that.
My son loves the outdoors as much as any. Has hunted since a little fella. He has killed a many squirrel, rabbit, dove, robin, pig and deer. loves cleaning his game. loves eating all of it, but he would just as soon play Xbox.
Girlfriends don't help either.

Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: daniel white] #2932306
10/21/19 08:27 PM
10/21/19 08:27 PM
Central Al
twaldrop4 Offline
10 point
twaldrop4  Offline
10 point
Central Al
I’d put my 7 year olds woodsmanship against a lot of the guys on this forum 7 days a week. The same people saying these kids are too young will be the very ones griping about the new generation and how sorry they are. And next week they will be talking about how kids these days are soft. But if you include them they are too young. Some of y’all just like to gripe.

Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: daniel white] #2932310
10/21/19 08:30 PM
10/21/19 08:30 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
wish I took my kids more. but that's what happens when you move 7+ hours away from your land and ponds. I find it difficult to take kids on my public spots down here. probably cause the only good one I have found involves hiking over a mountain. though I have taken my older 10 yr old son the last couple years.

so, we only go on 2-3 squirrel hunts, a couple deer weekends and maybe 3-4 days of turkey hunting a year together. school and sports activities have become so serious these days I really hate that. in fact, I'm probably going to get a letter about an unexcused absence when I pull him out next Friday to head up for Missouri's youth hunt. Weird how they threaten good parents with family services when you take your kids out of town with you for great experiences. 3 non medical absences a year goes pretty quick. (funerals, weddings, and hunting +couple days in NYC) and now we are felons.

Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: twaldrop4] #2932346
10/21/19 08:52 PM
10/21/19 08:52 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by twaldrop4
I’d put my 7 year olds woodsmanship against a lot of the guys on this forum 7 days a week. The same people saying these kids are too young will be the very ones griping about the new generation and how sorry they are. And next week they will be talking about how kids these days are soft. But if you include them they are too young. Some of y’all just like to gripe.

there are 2 schools of thought.
my dad was the kind that didn't allow anyone to hunt our property unless they were 16. I obviously got some special treatment, but he only let me deer hunt at 14 and turkey hunt at 13. now, by hunt that meant you are on your own. see ya and bring back something. he figured I had been by his side for 8+ years and I better had been taking mental notes. (we hunted small game since I was 7 probably once a weekend in August through Christmas).

the more common model today is let your kids succeed early on. buy a youth model 243 and help them hold it and carry it to the stand. I hate this, but it is what I'm doing too. my son is probably going to get a shot at a 140ish deer next week and I'll talk him through it. secretly I hope a pitiful looking fork horn walks out and he starts off that way. funny thing is the 1st year I hunted I used a 1942 M1 garand with the instructions of "don't give yourself M1 thumb." Blasted a doe and was proud as could be though.

Last edited by Semo; 10/21/19 08:53 PM.
Re: Spinoff to BGH thread [Re: daniel white] #2932356
10/21/19 08:55 PM
10/21/19 08:55 PM
Alabama
3FFarms Offline
ALDEER SPONSOR
3FFarms  Offline
ALDEER SPONSOR
Alabama
My boys have been going with me since they were 2 and 3. We started by going to a shooting house with a heater and enough snacks to last a week if needed. They loved going and I loved taking them more than they enjoyed going. We have so many great memories in the stand together that I’m sure I have forgotten more than I remember. We started with deer hunting, because as someone said earlier, it’s just easier. We have grown into hunting doves, ducks, squirrels, rabbits, etc. but the overwhelming majority of our hunting is definitely deer. They both love it and I enjoy taking them with me. I can honestly say, I probably pushed them a little too early to kill a deer and I’m not afraid to tell you that it’s because I wanted to brag on them. Sure they were ready to shoot one, but most of that had to do with my desire to see them kill one. I’ve learned a lot of life lessons since then and I pray that they don’t become burned out on hunting due to me starting them too early. I can tell you that there is no greater joy for me than spending time in the woods with them. I believe the lessons we’ve learned there will help mold them into being men of character that many of the men here are. There’s a lot of life lessons that can be taught when you have a captive audience for 3,4,5 hours at a time.

I very much have been looking forward to bow hunting this year but after several hunts last week, I quickly realized I missed hunting with my boys. So yesterday afternoon I went and hung a second loc-on right next to mine and we grabbed their crossbow and I took my youngest (10). I would venture that most dads here probably feel the way that Matt and Ben and Tyler and James have all mentioned...it’s more about the time spent with your child than the actual game pursued. It gives us uninterrupted time to just talk and be a father and son, (or daughter...my little girl also enjoys going) the way the good Lord intended it to be. And I wish I’d had a grandfather like paw-paw Fred to teach me woodsmanship. I had a great dad that spent the time to teach me a lot of things, but I’m sure it would have been fun to be walking through the woods and hearing the stories Fred could tell us.

And one day, I hope they get on a deer hunting forum and talk about how much they miss their dad and going hunting with him...because God knows I’ll miss those times when we’re no longer able to go together. I don’t figure I’ll have much drive to go very often without them so I’ll soak up every chance I get to spend with them until then and pray that the lessons they have learned in the woods transfers to other areas of their lives.

Originally Posted by CNC
Ya'll are just overthinking it now

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.