</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Ruger M77 6mm heavy barrel with Nikon Monarch
by bradbathome. 03/27/24 04:42 PM
Carpet Installation Equipment
by hunter84. 03/27/24 07:12 AM
$20013hp all-power side shaft generator motor
by HollerHunter. 03/26/24 07:43 PM
250 gallon propane tank $225
by HollerHunter. 03/26/24 07:30 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Tree Dweller. 03/28/24 02:38 AM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by Mbrock. 03/27/24 07:53 PM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
133 registered members (DEADorALIVE, Dog, BradB, nomercy, Brian_C, Doeslayer44, coldtrail, oldforester, JohnG, M48scout, StateLine, Buckwheat, PourIron12, Paxamus, Smitty4Bama, RCHRR, El_Matador, mjs14, Andalusia, cartervj, eclipse829, Ben2, hallb, AustinC, mdf, Nmonk23, Dead down wind, 10 POINT, 7PTSPREAD, dirkdaddy, HDS64, Tree Dweller, AWT6, highliner, Gobble4me757, Young20, 202P&Y, Raspy, cchoque93, BearBranch, Ol Backwoods Boy, wareagul, Beer Belly, capehorn24, Justice, Bowfish, hosscat, Teacher One, Showout, Gunner211, jb20, Robert D., SnipeHunter, CeeHawk37, Hammertime7v2, TDog93, need2hunt, deerhunter_1, Jweeks, Floorman1, outdoorguy88, mossyback, Jay512, MarkAlan, crenshawco, Bmyers142, Mdees, desertdog, Tracker, Goose, rblaker, mayberry51, johnv, Fedex 1, Okatuppa, Deer Crossing, UAhunter, paintrock, jlbuc10, Crawfish, Paint Rock 00, BREEZE1, TwoRs, JA, AU338MAG, JB71, Cjunkin, AU coonhunter, Turkey, MCW, Epalm88, biglmbass, Turkey_neck, S_Dubs, Forrestgump1, Tall Dog, wk2hnt, BrandonClark, deerman24, jake44, Buckkiller77, DHW, buck_buster, EricS, burbank, fillmore, G/H, bamacotton, Backwards cowboy, low wall, IDOT, Reaper, Nightwatchman, Flyliner, jsubrett6, mdavis, BPI, BGR, mauvilla, 14 invisible), 476 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #2931918
10/21/19 01:56 PM
10/21/19 01:56 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

i hear ya ... my only point in mentioning the Pinhoti guy is simply that he exhausted ALL his options the traditional way before calling in a tracking dog ..

I still think a lot of folks are just looking at this the wrong way. I think in another ten years a lot of this will pass. I’m good with whatever a hunter wants to do…..back out and call a dog before even looking or exhaust all other options first…..I’m used to it all at this point……But to make it out to be like exhausting all other options first is the right thing to do is not really correct in my opinion. When I hear this I hear….”I’ve swung this eastwing hammer until my arm hurts and I realize now I’ll never finish this house with it…..Can you bring in a nail gun??”…..There’s no reason why someone should have to exhaust all other options first. Hell, if I shoot one and smoke it…..I’m still going back to the house to get my dogs….Why wouldn’t I? It’d be like riding a bike to town and leaving my truck in the driveway….It makes no sense. Why should other hunters do the same if they have the option of calling someone with a better tool for the job? This doesn’t have to be about who’s a woodsman and who ain’t just because they call for a dog.

Last edited by CNC; 10/21/19 01:57 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2931930
10/21/19 02:11 PM
10/21/19 02:11 PM
USA
R
Remington270 Offline
Freak of Nature
Remington270  Offline
Freak of Nature
R
USA
I agree with CNC. If I have a good shot opportunity, and take it, and the deer disappears into the thicket, and I can't find a trail, I'm backing out and calling a dog, if one is available. With all the money I spend on deer hunting, $100 to find the fruits of my labor seems like a small price to pay.

Last edited by Remington270; 10/21/19 02:12 PM.
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: CNC] #2931957
10/21/19 02:43 PM
10/21/19 02:43 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by CNC

i hear ya ... my only point in mentioning the Pinhoti guy is simply that he exhausted ALL his options the traditional way before calling in a tracking dog ..

I still think a lot of folks are just looking at this the wrong way. I think in another ten years a lot of this will pass. I’m good with whatever a hunter wants to do…..back out and call a dog before even looking or exhaust all other options first…..I’m used to it all at this point……But to make it out to be like exhausting all other options first is the right thing to do is not really correct in my opinion. When I hear this I hear….”I’ve swung this eastwing hammer until my arm hurts and I realize now I’ll never finish this house with it…..Can you bring in a nail gun??”…..There’s no reason why someone should have to exhaust all other options first. Hell, if I shoot one and smoke it…..I’m still going back to the house to get my dogs….Why wouldn’t I? It’d be like riding a bike to town and leaving my truck in the driveway….It makes no sense. Why should other hunters do the same if they have the option of calling someone with a better tool for the job? This doesn’t have to be about who’s a woodsman and who ain’t just because they call for a dog.

we get it. you are supporting tracking with a dog. but maybe the guy making money off it shouldn't have to be the main proponent. kind of like an auto shop guy trying to convince some if us that not knowing how to change a tire or work on the engine isn't a big deal. just give him a call. I support tracking with a dog, but I also think part of hunting is becoming a woodsman in ways that includes learning how to ethically find game.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Semo] #2931978
10/21/19 03:11 PM
10/21/19 03:11 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by Semo
….... but maybe the guy making money off it shouldn't have to be the main proponent.

….or maybe he should be since he probably understands more about it than most any other mthr fckr in the conversation…… smile

Sorry..... but to insinuate that any of what I've said has anything to do with me making beer money off of something I just enjoy doing rubs me the wrong way a little....

Last edited by CNC; 10/21/19 03:13 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2931981
10/21/19 03:15 PM
10/21/19 03:15 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
Northport, AL

So....out of curiosity, what is the average "going rate" to have someone bring a tracking dog out? I'm not talking about Billy Bob that lives in a trailer down the road getting his flea-infested mutt to go sniff around, but an actual, trained tracking dog?

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #2931986
10/21/19 03:21 PM
10/21/19 03:21 PM
Oxford, AL. USA
Big Game Hunter Offline OP
Doesn’t Know His Code
Big Game Hunter  Offline OP
Doesn’t Know His Code
Oxford, AL. USA
Originally Posted by Big Game Hunter
That being said; are people worse shots these days or does anyone know how to actually track a wounded animal? Or both? (... snip ...) What the he!! Is happening to our sport that “hunters” won’t even try and find their own damn deer?????

why process your own deer if you can drive it up the road a piece & drop it off with somebody to do it for you? see my point? times/things change ... i've known GREAT hunters for years who've had dogs to "track" deer ... IMO what's happening now since social media/interwebs exploded is you've got marketing of tracking services to hunters ... so why bother?

i would not hesitate to call a tracker -- much like the Pinhoti guy did in his recent video -- if my best efforts had failed & i knew i'd hit the deer with my shot

Processing your own deer and knowing how to track a wounded animal aren't the same thing. Sorry Bro.....

IKNOWMYPHUCKINGCODEDAMMITYOUDICKHEAD!!!
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: GomerPyle] #2931990
10/21/19 03:28 PM
10/21/19 03:28 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by GomerPyle

So....out of curiosity, what is the average "going rate" to have someone bring a tracking dog out? I'm not talking about Billy Bob that lives in a trailer down the road getting his flea-infested mutt to go sniff around, but an actual, trained tracking dog?

I’m just gonna post a short reply so hopefully not to derail the original topic but…

There’s really no “going rate”…..Different folks do it different ways. I used to charge $50 to come and $50 if we found the deer. Now I’ve just went to a straight $100 fee for any call. Lets say I go on 75 tracks this year. That’s a grand total of $7500 dollars minus expenses. I just filled up my truck twice this past week to go on those tracks in the dog forum at $45 a pop. I’m not even gonna go into listing all the expenses but how much do you think vet bills and dog food and all that add up to for two dogs??? So yeah….I’m not getting rich off this gig by any means….Getting paid just helps take the sting out of all the costs involved and buys a little beer and pork skins at the end of the day.

About the most I’ve heard of folks charging is $125-$150….Other folks track “for free” or for tips….but there’s a catch to that in most cases. Not all, but a lot folks who track for free heavily screen their calls and are only gonna take the ones that sound really promising. The ones with a lot of blood or the gut shots, etc….They’ll turn the others down. That’s because “free” turns into “big tips” when you find peoples’ deer. Just don’t be fooled and think free trackers are doing it out of the goodness of their heart and because their just good guys. That chit crawls all over me when it gets made out to be like that. I mean they enjoy tracking too just like I do but they're getting paid just the same. It's just a different approach. Call them up and tell them you can’t find any blood or hair but your feel confident you hit the deer and see how many free trackers come to help you. The evil guy charging a fee though will likely be on his way. I'm really not hating on them even though it may sound that way....I just want everyone to understand how it actually works.

Anyways…..chit, I’m off on a tangent now….. grin

Last edited by CNC; 10/21/19 03:35 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: CNC] #2932005
10/21/19 03:37 PM
10/21/19 03:37 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by CNC
….... but maybe the guy making money off it shouldn't have to be the main proponent.

….or maybe he should be since he probably understands more about it than most any other mthr fckr in the conversation…… smile

Sorry..... but to insinuate that any of what I've said has anything to do with me making beer money off of something I just enjoy doing rubs me the wrong way a little....

my point wasn't that you are somehow corrupt. it is just that you are heavily invested (not necessarily about $) in tracking other people's deer.

I have guys that have me sight in their rifles before season and just like ones that can't track I do believe they are less than ideal hunters. I still like them and they are great guys...but I'm not judging if they are going to hell just that they ain't the best hunters.

I'm sure you are a good guy even if you like to pull out the MFer line pretty quick.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Semo] #2932036
10/21/19 04:10 PM
10/21/19 04:10 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL

I'm sure you are a good guy even if you like to pull out the MFer line pretty quick.

Actually, I’m usually pretty measured in my use of mthr fckrs and sich…..You have to push special buttons on me for me to start slinging those around. grin

I get it….my point though is that most everyone else is just making assumptions with their opinions while I’m basing mine off of actually meeting the hunters, seeing all the different situations that occur, hearing the stories, and tracking the deer.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2932042
10/21/19 04:19 PM
10/21/19 04:19 PM
Central, Al
Bustinbeards Offline
Booner
Bustinbeards  Offline
Booner
Central, Al
I am a mthr fckr and proud of it. Matter of fact I am every chance I get! laugh beers

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
Well, the way I see it is there's just too many assholes
On a good day there's a bunch of assholes in here. On a bad day there's too many assholes in here.
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2932055
10/21/19 04:29 PM
10/21/19 04:29 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
I’ll add this to conversation too……I go on some easy tracks that some very experienced blood trackers might have otherwise recovered without the use of a dog…..But the vast majority of the ones I go on….even the best human trackers out there wouldn’t have stood snowballs chance in hell of finding the deer or better yet….giving the situation some closure.

I remember a track from a couple of years ago on a brisket bow shot where the buck ran about 300 yards through a stand of young pines right down a worn out deer trail until it came to an interior hunting club road. The worn out trail went straight across and kept going. The deer however decided to hang a left and run straight down the middle of the hunting club road for about 300 yards…..into a green field and out the other side and on down the road some before deciding to hang another left onto just some random trail that took him back toward his bedding area. We found him about 200 more yards down that trail in the young pine stand. Good luck tracking that one by looking for broke sticks, branches, and tracks. grin

Last edited by CNC; 10/21/19 04:31 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: CNC] #2932060
10/21/19 04:33 PM
10/21/19 04:33 PM
North Alabama
W
Wiley Coyote Offline
Freak of Nature
Wiley Coyote  Offline
Freak of Nature
W
North Alabama
Originally Posted by CNC
I’m not even gonna go into listing all the expenses but how much do you think vet bills and dog food and all that add up to for two dogs???

So, if you didn't use the dogs for tracking you wouldn't maintain their health via a vet or feed them?

I firmly believe that a double gallows should be constructed on the East Lawn of The White House. Politicians who willfully and shamelessly violate their oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America should be swiftly tried and, upon conviction, publicly hanged at sunup the day after conviction. If multiple convicts are to be hanged they can choose with whom to share the gallows or names shall be drawn from the hangman's hat to be hanged 2 at a time.

NRA Life Member
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2932077
10/21/19 04:48 PM
10/21/19 04:48 PM
alabama
outdoors1 Offline
10 point
outdoors1  Offline
10 point
alabama
As I read the op's post I think there are maybe three deer over the years I sure would like to have put a dog on the tack. They where no big trophies, but just would like to had a good dog and handler to have to track for about 500 yards to prove they may have been recovered within the hour. Would have been worth paying them for their trouble if they were located nearby. I feel like all three deer were hit just not much if any sign of blood. I know by going back two were found later the other just had no idea for sure. All three were near dark shot scenarios with no tracks that could be seen due to thickness of cover and hard to find jump or foot tracks. Sometimes it is just hard for me to get an exact location of the after deer shot on moving deer in thick cover with no sign visible. Now on a green field or in the sand tracks and jumping marks are usually easily found and blood more obvious creating a starting point and direction, but thick woods with little blood is more difficult to find the starting point and everything changes after dark! With an experienced dog, trainer, and gps why would you not want to increase your recovery? An ethical hunting would want to always do whatever possible to recover their game. Add into the equation the time and energy people spend on growing rack deer they definitetly want to find the trophy they just spent thousands possibly to grow. Don't know the percentage, but I would say at least 30% more deer could be found by those who think they are good trackers using a dog.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Wiley Coyote] #2932081
10/21/19 04:51 PM
10/21/19 04:51 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

So, if you didn't use the dogs for tracking you wouldn't maintain their health via a vet or feed them?

I most definitely would…..But if they’re gonna be used as a tool to travel around and search for other people’s deer then I have no problem asking those other people to help with some of the cost for their upkeep. There’s a lot of risk associated in me bringing MY dog out and trying to find YOUR deer. Had Shelby gotten bit by that rattle snake she stepped right over Saturday….it would have cost me around $400 probably. That’s assuming it didn’t kill her before I got to the vet’s office.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2932084
10/21/19 04:52 PM
10/21/19 04:52 PM
Oxford, AL. USA
Big Game Hunter Offline OP
Doesn’t Know His Code
Big Game Hunter  Offline OP
Doesn’t Know His Code
Oxford, AL. USA
For what it worth.

CNC I have your number saved in my phone. wink

IKNOWMYPHUCKINGCODEDAMMITYOUDICKHEAD!!!
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Bustinbeards] #2932090
10/21/19 04:56 PM
10/21/19 04:56 PM
HSV AL
jmudler Offline
Freak of Nature
jmudler  Offline
Freak of Nature
HSV AL
Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
I am a mthr fckr and proud of it. Matter of fact I am every chance I get! laugh beers

[Linked Image]

Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2932093
10/21/19 05:00 PM
GA
UncleHuck Offline
10 point
UncleHuck  Offline
10 point
GA

CNC - If you don't mind, please PM me your contact info. I don't hunt your part of the world a lot, but would like to be able to find you if I need your services.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2932094
AL
Gobble4me757 Online happy
10 point
Gobble4me757  Online Happy
10 point
AL
I have tracked all my deer and buddies without a dog until last year. I consider myself very thorough and proficient when tracking, and the first time I called a dog in last year was the only reason why we found the thing. I put a liver shot on a deer with my bow that we tracked for hours that night on miniscule drops of blood, and we ended up jumping it the next am after picking up a trail that am. No more blood once he got up and ran. Then only reason we found the buck was with the dog. I agree that way too many people are lazy nowadays when it comes to tracking a deer, but I also will say that the only reason I knew about a dog was this sight so I can also attest that people are just more aware nowadays of the potential to call a dog in. I am all about trying to track on your own, but def not against pulling out of there and calling a dog in if the situation calls for it.

2017 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
2018 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2932095
10/21/19 05:01 PM
Land of the free because of th...
mike35549 Offline
12 point
mike35549  Offline
12 point
Land of the free because of th...
I have used a dog one time, it was a big buck biggest I ever killed. I can track a deer pretty good have tracked quite a few. If a deer stops bleeding or bleeding very very little and still traveling pretty fast they are almost impossible to find. Without the dog I would not have ever found that buck. Sometimes you can't find them without a dog.

If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough.
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2932096
USA
Maggie123 Offline
Doe
Maggie123  Offline
Doe
USA
Personally, I think a lot of folks are just lazy and don't want to do the work to track their kill. I am a 61 year old lady who taught her 15 year old grandson how to track/trail a deer through some of the thickest brush on our property. He knew NOTHING about tracking, finding a blood trail, looking for drag signs, disturbed leaves, broken branches etcetera. I had to grab him by the arm when we entered the woods to keep him from ruining the trail. Granted, he was young but his dad, who had been taking him hunting before, taught him absolutely nothing.

Not only did we find the buck but I helped him drag it out of the woods and got a skull mount commerating his nana teaching him how to trail a deer. It was a great evening and cold as hell.

Be kind to one another and tell the ones you love that you love them often. We never know what tomorrow will bring.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.