</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO Boat, fishing and pontoon
by klay. 04/19/24 05:31 PM
2008 kawasaki 750 brute force $3000
by CrappieMan. 04/19/24 05:02 PM
Hunting Club Lawn Mower 42" Tractor Style
by trailertrash. 04/19/24 04:40 PM
Sig Suaer M400 Tread 5.56
by AL18. 04/19/24 02:44 PM
truck
by jhix3734. 04/19/24 10:50 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Taxidermist called
by CNC. 04/19/24 09:34 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/19/24 07:59 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
108 registered members (YellaLineHunter, PaytonWP, Todd1700, phinfan, WC82, BCLC, Booger, Turkey, NorthFork, Jdkprp70, AU7MM08, Stacey, outdoorguy88, kodiak06, IMISSALDEER, Skinner, MAG, Morris, dtmwtp, blade, RCHRR, 4ssss, DuckDown11, Driveby, Mack1, Takeum, CNC, turfarmer, jhardy, mzzy, russellb, bug54, Jbf, eclipse829, Moose24, knock him down, hawndog, Mike32, beeline08, 300gr, Safetyman, Whild_Bill, Bowfish, johnwayne11661, BentBarrel, Chiller, Coosa buck, Gatorfn, Spec, Bustinbeards, RikkiV, Atoler, dustymac, ridgestalker, chill, Brian_C, DGAMBLER, sawdust, Chaser357, Gut Pile 32, M48scout, burbank, Dubie, desertdog, DoeMaster, twaldrop4, bambam32, PikeRoadHunter, kntree, GrandSlam, top cat, Gunner211, bholmes, Cynical, BamaFan64, TexasHuntress, Bmyers142, cullmanbamafan, JLavender, Gulfcoast, kaintuck, Catbird, AUjerbear, MIB, Hunting15, leroyb, Dekalb123, oldbowhunter, Floorman1, Dixiepatriot, Bandit635, Tupi, AC870, Parker243, dirtwrk, jake44, Blake82, Shane99, Joe4majors, Shotts, laidback, 7 invisible), 838 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Remington270] #2931810
10/21/19 12:15 PM
North Alabama
N
NSDQ160 Offline
8 point
NSDQ160  Offline
8 point
N
North Alabama
Originally Posted by Remington270
Can someone explain how you track a deer through thick cover without a blood trail? I'll be the first to admit I don't know how to do that.

If you don't have at least a splatter or hair where the impact happened then it's dang near impossible. Every time I've been able to do it I found hair, meat or splatter from the impact then I was able to follow the freshest sign to the animal (mud/straw kicked up, sticks broke, hair on briars, etc). It's a slow, painstaking process but it's worked for a lot of deer. Another thing is once you come to a point where you lose the sign (and I lose the sign often) I spiral out from my last sign until I find the trail again. I always often look back up the trail I've walked to see if it makes sense.

Last edited by NSDQ160; 10/21/19 12:17 PM.
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2931811
pensacola,fl. usa
B
billrv Offline
6 point
billrv  Offline
6 point
B
pensacola,fl. usa
You Sir are correct, when it comes to Bow / Cross Rifle (I am not slamming anyone who uses a cross bow due to health or age) so many of the young folks coming up are too lazy to devote the time to become a proficient bow hunter so they pick up the cross rifle and believe the ads....three inch groups at 100yds!!! I have trailed many deer through the years and by far cross rifle shot deer are harder to trail whether the shot was good or not. You wonderful Gentlemen in Al. will also see a huge difference in the adrenalin factor of deer around feeders, the first year wont be so bad but moving forward as the deer determine the feeder is NOT a safe zone you will see and additional surge of energy of these hyped deer that will cause your trailing to be much longer. The worst part of this is you cant tell these corn bag littering millennials anything, they seem to be experts on everything out of the womb, I hate to see our sport take this direction it doesn't look good for the long term.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Alagator] #2931814
10/21/19 12:20 PM
10/21/19 12:20 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by Alagator
If you want to improve your tracking skills, come prepared to track. You will need a roll of fluorescent flagging tape, a compass, a headlight, a field notebook, and a plan. After the shot, take a compass bearing on where you saw the deer when you shot it, and where you last saw it. Write those bearings down in your waterproof field notebook. When you come down, flag your stand tree high enough to see over the underbrush. Now you can walk a line to the kill site to look for blood and hair. If you find any, start tracking. If you dont, then walk the other line to where you last saw the deer. Look for blood or overturned leaves. Remember that a running deer can cover a lot of ground in a few seconds, so even heavy blood and tracks may be in spurts that are yards apart. Flag each blood spot or leaf disturbance. Be sure to look for blood on trees, bushes, and tall grass up to deer shoulder height Once you have a line of flagging established, the next spots are most likely down that line. If they disappear, look for a turnoff. Because my buddies always seem to be aimless wanderers, I do not involve them except for a last resort grid search. And if all else fails and you call the dog, at least it will only have to deal with the confused trampling of one hunter.

When I shoot a deer that falls within sight, I practice doing all those things to see if my tracking will take me to the deer. I look at the deer's wound and try to associate it with the blood and track pattern. The more you can learn, the better you get. You learn how deer react to different shot placements. You learn the value of patience and persistence. Most of all, you learn to trust your own abilities.

Holy cow. that sounds like a batman utility belt (compass and waterproof field notebook?) I'm just kidding, but I guess I need to step up my game. I just use the toilet paper in my pocket and hope the fried chicken or chili the night before doesn't use all my marking paper.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Semo] #2931818
10/21/19 12:22 PM
10/21/19 12:22 PM
North Alabama
N
NSDQ160 Offline
8 point
NSDQ160  Offline
8 point
N
North Alabama
Originally Posted by Semo
Originally Posted by Alagator
If you want to improve your tracking skills, come prepared to track. You will need a roll of fluorescent flagging tape, a compass, a headlight, a field notebook, and a plan. After the shot, take a compass bearing on where you saw the deer when you shot it, and where you last saw it. Write those bearings down in your waterproof field notebook. When you come down, flag your stand tree high enough to see over the underbrush. Now you can walk a line to the kill site to look for blood and hair. If you find any, start tracking. If you dont, then walk the other line to where you last saw the deer. Look for blood or overturned leaves. Remember that a running deer can cover a lot of ground in a few seconds, so even heavy blood and tracks may be in spurts that are yards apart. Flag each blood spot or leaf disturbance. Be sure to look for blood on trees, bushes, and tall grass up to deer shoulder height Once you have a line of flagging established, the next spots are most likely down that line. If they disappear, look for a turnoff. Because my buddies always seem to be aimless wanderers, I do not involve them except for a last resort grid search. And if all else fails and you call the dog, at least it will only have to deal with the confused trampling of one hunter.

When I shoot a deer that falls within sight, I practice doing all those things to see if my tracking will take me to the deer. I look at the deer's wound and try to associate it with the blood and track pattern. The more you can learn, the better you get. You learn how deer react to different shot placements. You learn the value of patience and persistence. Most of all, you learn to trust your own abilities.

Holy cow. that sounds like a batman utility belt (compass and waterproof field notebook?) I'm just kidding, but I guess I need to step up my game. I just use the toilet paper in my pocket and hope the fried chicken or chili the night before doesn't use all my marking paper.

What's funny is this guy and myself must have learned from the same people because I have "Field Notes" notebook in my bag at all times with a space pen (bullet pen), a lensatic compass, a pen light and a roll of orange flagging tape. Its standard issue in my hunting pack.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: JustinJ] #2931822
10/21/19 12:25 PM
10/21/19 12:25 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by JustinJ
CNC, I've got an honest question, and maybe I'm dead wrong about what I'm assuming, but what percentage of tracking jobs that you get called on are for bucks vs does?

99% of the calls are for bucks……A good portion of them are for “the best buck I’ve ever shot at”…..You get a good number of calls too for kids first deer and that kinda thing.

No one has answered my question though….How is shaming folks for not having superior tracking skills any different than shaming them for not being big buck killers? There’s a wide range of skill level amongst hunters.

Honestly though….I get just as many calls from very experienced hunters as I do from ones who aren’t. The first buck I found this year was for someone who’s probably killed 200-300 deer with a bow. They’ve just been a part of watching a dog work on numerous occasions and understand how superior they are to a human. So they call in the superior tool to help recover their deer. They’re not concerned with all of this nonsense about proving themselves like I feel like this is being made out to be. It feels like just another chest poking, dick measuring contest about who’s the real hunter. Who cares? I like Matt Brocks comment…..A recovery is the desired outcome and how it’s done is of no real concern to me.

Last edited by CNC; 10/21/19 12:27 PM.

We dont rent pigs
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: billrv] #2931823
10/21/19 12:26 PM
10/21/19 12:26 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by billrv
You Sir are correct, when it comes to Bow / Cross Rifle (I am not slamming anyone who uses a cross bow due to health or age) so many of the young folks coming up are too lazy to devote the time to become a proficient bow hunter so they pick up the cross rifle and believe the ads....three inch groups at 100yds!!! I have trailed many deer through the years and by far cross rifle shot deer are harder to trail whether the shot was good or not. You wonderful Gentlemen in Al. will also see a huge difference in the adrenalin factor of deer around feeders, the first year wont be so bad but moving forward as the deer determine the feeder is NOT a safe zone you will see and additional surge of energy of these hyped deer that will cause your trailing to be much longer. The worst part of this is you cant tell these corn bag littering millennials anything, they seem to be experts on everything out of the womb, I hate to see our sport take this direction it doesn't look good for the long term.

While I am not in the millennial generation I am going to stick up for them here. I'm guessing that group lacks the political power to get the law passed in the first place. My bet is the boomers had a big hand in the new baiting law and the push for crossbow use across the USA.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: CNC] #2931824
10/21/19 12:27 PM
10/21/19 12:27 PM
North Alabama
N
NSDQ160 Offline
8 point
NSDQ160  Offline
8 point
N
North Alabama
Originally Posted by CNC
[quote=JustinJ]How is shaming folks for not having superior tracking skills any different than shaming them for not being big buck killers? There’s a wide range of skill level amongst hunters.

It's not. I addressed that in my comment above. At least folks are getting outside and maybe by walking by you on a track they can see what a blood trail looks like and learn. There's only a few ways to learn and the best is getting out there and doing it.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Semo] #2931826
10/21/19 12:28 PM
10/21/19 12:28 PM
North Alabama
N
NSDQ160 Offline
8 point
NSDQ160  Offline
8 point
N
North Alabama
Originally Posted by billrv

While I am not in the millennial generation I am going to stick up for them here. I'm guessing that group lacks the political power to get the law passed in the first place. My bet is the boomers had a big hand in the new baiting law and the push for crossbow use across the USA.

Also the boomer's raised the millennials so who's really to blame for how millennials act?

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: CNC] #2931837
10/21/19 12:37 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by CNC
CNC, I've got an honest question, and maybe I'm dead wrong about what I'm assuming, but what percentage of tracking jobs that you get called on are for bucks vs does?

99% of the calls are for bucks……A good portion of them are for “the best buck I’ve ever shot at”…..You get a good number of calls too for kids first deer and that kinda thing.

No one has answered my question though….How is shaming folks for not having superior tracking skills any different than shaming them for not being big buck killers? There’s a wide range of skill level amongst hunters.

Honestly though….I get just as many calls from very experienced hunters as I do from ones who aren’t. The first buck I found this year was for someone who’s probably killed 200-300 deer with a bow. They’ve just been a part of watching a dog work on numerous occasions and understand how superior they are to a human. So they call in the superior tool to help recover their deer. They’re not concerned with all of this nonsense about proving themselves like I feel like this is being made out to be. It feels like just another chest poking, dick measuring contest about who’s the real hunter. Who cares? I like Matt Brocks comment…..The goal is to find the deer and how it’s done is of no real concern.

While most of that statement is pretty self-serving I don't disagree. I wish I had a dog tracker a couple of times in the past. However, most of the issue is that all the skills learned by hunting small game aren't used today. Tracking squirrels and rabbits (and such) are what trained many in the past. Heck, half the guys I hunt around these days can't even tell what kind of tree they are looking at. Plus, understanding how deer navigate a property is very helpful. Many times on our property the deer are pretty predictable after they are hit (7 out of 10). But knowing the terrain and experience are hard learned and not everyone has those opportunities, so dog trackers offer a great service.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2931838
Oxford, AL. USA
Big Game Hunter Offline OP
Doesn’t Know His Code
Big Game Hunter  Offline OP
Doesn’t Know His Code
Oxford, AL. USA
CNC. I’ve hunted a lot in a lot of places.

I have used dogs here and in Africa. They actually use dogs a lot there. Mostly Jack Russels but when I hunted in South Africa last September two of our PH’s had beagles.

I made a bad shot on a huge kudu bull at 280 yards. Had we not had a dog; I’d never have seen that bull again. We recovered him very much alive 4 hours later over 1 mile away in a Different direction than we saw him run.

As I said in the very first sentence; I have no issue with the use of dogs. My issue is with people going into the woods with the intent of shooting an animal that they have very little chance of recovering WITHOUT the use of a dog.

IKNOWMYPHUCKINGCODEDAMMITYOUDICKHEAD!!!
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2931840
10/21/19 12:38 PM
10/21/19 12:38 PM
AL
BamaGuitarDude Offline
12 point
BamaGuitarDude  Offline
12 point
AL
Originally Posted by Big Game Hunter
That being said; are people worse shots these days or does anyone know how to actually track a wounded animal? Or both? (... snip ...) What the he!! Is happening to our sport that “hunters” won’t even try and find their own damn deer?????

why process your own deer if you can drive it up the road a piece & drop it off with somebody to do it for you? see my point? times/things change ... i've known GREAT hunters for years who've had dogs to "track" deer ... IMO what's happening now since social media/interwebs exploded is you've got marketing of tracking services to hunters ... so why bother?

i would not hesitate to call a tracker -- much like the Pinhoti guy did in his recent video -- if my best efforts had failed & i knew i'd hit the deer with my shot

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: NSDQ160] #2931854
10/21/19 12:52 PM
10/21/19 12:52 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
What's funny is this guy and myself must have learned from the same people because I have "Field Notes" notebook in my bag at all times with a space pen (bullet pen), a lensatic compass, a pen light and a roll of orange flagging tape. Its standard issue in my hunting pack. [/quote]

I think that is a great idea, but I am kind of a minimalist. Heck, I hunt with my grandfather's 1953 760 gamemaster (270). Funny thing is I have a roll of marking tape 2 inches from my computer right now, but have never had any with me hunting. I "stalk/still-hunt" more than I sit (especially with a gun), so usually I only carry a knife, 4-5 extra shells, some loose toilet paper or paper towel, and maybe a bottle of water.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: CNC] #2931856
10/21/19 12:54 PM
10/21/19 12:54 PM
Carriere, Ms
J
JustinJ Offline
4 point
JustinJ  Offline
4 point
J
Carriere, Ms
Originally Posted by CNC

Honestly though….I get just as many calls from very experienced hunters as I do from ones who aren’t. The first buck I found this year was for someone who’s probably killed 200-300 deer with a bow. They’ve just been a part of watching a dog work on numerous occasions and understand how superior they are to a human. So they call in the superior tool to help recover their deer. They’re not concerned with all of this nonsense about proving themselves like I feel like this is being made out to be. It feels like just another chest poking, dick measuring contest about who’s the real hunter. Who cares? I like Matt Brocks comment…..A recovery is the desired outcome and how it’s done is of no real concern to me.

I wasn't trying to take a shot at you, or at using a tracking dog in general. Guy I buy my welding gas from is big into running hog dogs, and got into blood trailing a couple years ago. I have his number in my phone should I ever need it, and wouldn't hesitate to call. Almost called him on a hog I shot with the bow last spring, but I ended up finding it first.

In the mean time, I will continue to bring my kids small game hunting, teaching them how to blood trail, and woodsmanship to the best of my ability.

I think the fact that 99% of the calls you get are for bucks is very telling, and part of what bugs me about it all. So is no one ever making bad shots on does? My assumption, sadly, is people just don't care enough to go through those efforts to recover a doe. I guess putting your hands on that big doe to get that picture out on social media is just not as important.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #2931859
10/21/19 12:57 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
That being said; are people worse shots these days or does anyone know how to actually track a wounded animal? Or both? (... snip ...) What the he!! Is happening to our sport that “hunters” won’t even try and find their own damn deer?????

why process your own deer if you can drive it up the road a piece & drop it off with somebody to do it for you? see my point? times/things change ... i've known GREAT hunters for years who've had dogs to "track" deer ... IMO what's happening now since social media/interwebs exploded is you've got marketing of tracking services to hunters ... so why bother?

i would not hesitate to call a tracker -- much like the Pinhoti guy did in his recent video -- if my best efforts had failed & i knew i'd hit the deer with my shot

I don't disagree with you bamaguitardude, but I think your example kind of undermines your argument. Big Game Hunter is saying he wishes the sport was more traditional and you give an example of a show produced for entertainment.

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2931860
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL

As I said in the very first sentence; I have no issue with the use of dogs. My issue is with people going into the woods with the intent of shooting an animal that they have very little chance of recovering WITHOUT the use of a dog.

Like I was telling Wiley in response to his post….That’s just not happening enough to even be significant. I mean maybe you’ve got a few dipshits like this Timber guy who are doing it but I’ve never run across a single situation where I thought it was the case. I listen to folks tell me their story about what happened and what I hear is folks just making the same bad decisions and making the same bad shots that we as hunters have always made. A lot of times it’ll be a situation where the hunter just got antsy and took the first shot they could get……I remember one specifically from last year where a guy took a very poor quartering to shot and I remember looking at the situations when I arrived and thinking….”Damn, he just slung an arrow at it as soon as it stepped out of the woodline into the green field.”…..That’s what’s common….Hunters aren’t thinking anything about a dog at that moment. They’re thinking…”Oh God I gotta shoot before he gets away!!”….and they make a poor, rushed shot. I'm guilty myself as I'm sure many of us on here are....

Last edited by CNC; 10/21/19 01:00 PM.

We dont rent pigs
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: JustinJ] #2931863
10/21/19 12:59 PM
10/21/19 12:59 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL

I wasn't trying to take a shot at you, or at using a tracking dog in general.

I understand....I didn't take it that way. thumbup

We dont rent pigs
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: JustinJ] #2931865
10/21/19 01:02 PM
10/21/19 01:02 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by CNC

I wasn't trying to take a shot at you, or at using a tracking dog in general. Guy I buy my welding gas from is big into running hog dogs, and got into blood trailing a couple years ago. I have his number in my phone should I ever need it, and wouldn't hesitate to call. Almost called him on a hog I shot with the bow last spring, but I ended up finding it first.

In the mean time, I will continue to bring my kids small game hunting, teaching them how to blood trail, and woodsmanship to the best of my ability.

I think the fact that 99% of the calls you get are for bucks is very telling, and part of what bugs me about it all. So is no one ever making bad shots on does? My assumption, sadly, is people just don't care enough to go through those efforts to recover a doe. I guess putting your hands on that big doe to get that picture out on social media is just not as important.

x2
I have seen it myself and it is the definition of unethical

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2931888
10/21/19 01:21 PM
10/21/19 01:21 PM
Pike Co.
A
ACT3 Offline
8 point
ACT3  Offline
8 point
A
Pike Co.
Personally i hope i don't have to track one at all - but when the situation arises, I like to track the deer myself - that's part of the whole experience for me...just as much as any of the rest of the things that you do to hunt. I have no problems calling a dog if needed but the tracker aint gone be happy with me when he gets there because i can assure you that i have done everything i possibly could to recover the animal myself before i call a dog in. (that's when you would see the obligatory posts on here about not screwing up the area if your going to call a tracker grin)

Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Big Game Hunter] #2931900
10/21/19 01:37 PM
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...

I don’t like it when people shame folks for NOT calling in a tracking dog. It happens on this site pretty frequently. Nowadays if you don’t call in a dog your a lazy hunter who doesn’t care if you recover your deer.

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
Job 33:4
Re: Probably about to piss some folks off [Re: Semo] #2931901
AL
BamaGuitarDude Offline
12 point
BamaGuitarDude  Offline
12 point
AL
Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

I don't disagree with you bamaguitardude, but I think your example kind of undermines your argument. Big Game Hunter is saying he wishes the sport was more traditional and you give an example of a show produced for entertainment.

i hear ya ... my only point in mentioning the Pinhoti guy is simply that he exhausted ALL his options the traditional way before calling in a tracking dog ... perhaps this was all stage, i don't know, but i doubt it:

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 10/21/19 01:44 PM.

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.