</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Ruger M77 6mm heavy barrel with Nikon Monarch
by bradbathome. 03/27/24 04:42 PM
Carpet Installation Equipment
by hunter84. 03/27/24 07:12 AM
$20013hp all-power side shaft generator motor
by HollerHunter. 03/26/24 07:43 PM
Serious Deer Talk
For the Donโ€™t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
The Hollywood Buck.
by daylate. 03/28/24 10:08 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
100 registered members (JB71, Treelimb, mzzy, JRigs10, Bustinbeards, BamaBoHunter, hoggin, Ridgehunter36, Booner Hunter, 7PTSPREAD, Brian_C, Bjoff27, cdaddy14, Cactus_buck, SEWoodsWhitetail, AJones, JD_Bowhunter1976, outdoorguy88, Tailwalk7, graydw1, CarbonClimber1, MS_Hunter, JohnG, Oscarflytyer, Strictlybow, PaytonWP, jwalker77, cullbuck, Turkeyneck78, HollerHunter, jhardy, taggedout, akbejeepin, Bushmaster, hunter84, JHH, doghouse, Smitty4Bama, rkt, Cannon Kid, BrentsFX4, BC_Reb, Okatuppa, red neck richie, Joe4majors, mossyback, crenshawco, Jweeks, huntndad, Calvin, Big Buck Video, Ridge Life, hippi, Chaser357, Rockstar007, Turkeyhunter12, hallb, reeve025, CCC, slippinlipjr, WEMOhunter, rrice0725, Bmyers142, Squadron77, WPZJR, odocoileus, DoubleB, Whitebone, BBD23, bamaeyedoc, Megatrondiablo, Dog, Billbrassky, Floorman1, Morris, Semo, AustinC, BamaFan64, Skullworks, Justice, Tracker, Ben2, Overland, Mulcher, Hoytdad10, Roondog, Duck, Chancetribe, trailertrash, 11 invisible), 508 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: cordless chain saw [Re: timbercruiser] #2906403
09/17/19 08:04 AM
09/17/19 08:04 AM
Mobile Alabama
TChunter Offline
Booner
TChunter  Offline
Booner
Mobile Alabama
Originally Posted by timbercruiser
The handiest dang thing I have ever bought for use around the house and food plot work was a electric Lynx pole saw i got at Harbor Freight. I've cut 7" live oak limbs and everything else with it. For cutting limbs it can't be beat for the price..

NOW I'm impressed, this guy knows his wood.

On the Eighth day God created flounder.
Re: cordless chain saw [Re: bamahunt] #2906408
09/17/19 08:06 AM
09/17/19 08:06 AM
Opelika
N
noeyeddeer Offline
6 point
noeyeddeer  Offline
6 point
N
Opelika
Originally Posted by bamahunt
After a lot of youtube and online review research I came to the conclusion that Stihl or Makita were the way to go for an electric chainsaw. They have immediate, high chain speed, sizable bars and are backed by reputable companies that are less succeptable to going bankrupt soon (no replacement parts, batteries, etc. available in the future). Other saws lack the chainspeed and power to quickly chew threw wood and you end up "bearing down" on the saw to get it to cut. I went with the Makita because the Stihl was more expensive and I could use the Makita battery system on other proven tools (I wasn't sold on how much I would use any other Stihl electric tools or that I would want to pony up the premium they were asking for tools to use around the farm and house). They both seemed to be comparable per the reviews I saw.

Below is the model I went with I believe. I didn't get (4) batteries so that could reduce the cost some from the model below.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XCU03...&hvtargid=pla-384171889338&psc=1

The Makita worked great a few weekends trimming roads, tree stand locations and shooting lanes paired with a wireless sawzall and stihl gas pole saw. I was happy/surprised at what it could do. We also cut some firewood off of some downed oak tops that have been drying over the last year.

I like that this one utilizes two 18v batteries so you can use them with the other 18v tools. Much better than only having one or two 40v lying around and not using often. Will check this out when I need to upgrade my cheap Ryobi's!

Thanks

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Beer Belly] #2906416
09/17/19 08:18 AM
09/17/19 08:18 AM
south Alabama
B
BamaRick Offline
spike
BamaRick  Offline
spike
B
south Alabama
I recently bought the Milwaukee cordless pole saw since I use other Milwaukee tools at work. It has really surprised me. No problem on 8" oak. Maybe a little slower than a gas powered Stihl, but no choke, premix, pull cords, ethanol, etc. It is basically a powerhead which accepts other attachments. Acme Tool had a promo where you got an extra attachment for free, so I got 2 saws and a powerhead.

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Beer Belly] #2906451
09/17/19 09:25 AM
09/17/19 09:25 AM
Dale County, AL
G
Groundhawg Offline
10 point
Groundhawg  Offline
10 point
G
Dale County, AL
The WORX 2-in-1 pole saw/chain saw is not as heavy duty as some spoken of here but is a great machine. Ten inch saw blade that will handle most of the work that I need to do around the house and farm. Add the 10 pole and it really become a fine piece of equipment. Wish that had it in their 40V system but the 20V works very well and cost is not bad at all.

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Beer Belly] #2906454
09/17/19 09:32 AM
09/17/19 09:32 AM
Tampa
B
Beer Belly Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Beer Belly  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
B
Tampa

Now I am leaning towards the cordless pole saw.

It would be much easier to get under shrubs and bushes (reduce CHIGGER bites).

--------------
For what it is worth: I still agree with me!
A big man will stand up for himself; a great man will stand up for others.
Processor Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1OTDcvGoo3puyO-CV10he3pH97IE
Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Beer Belly] #2906456
09/17/19 09:35 AM
09/17/19 09:35 AM
Gee's Bend/At The Hog Pen
James Offline
Freak of Nature
James  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by Beer Belly

Now I am leaning towards the cordless pole saw.

It would be much easier to get under shrubs and bushes (reduce CHIGGER bites).

Sure just don't let the bushes fall on ya though whistle

How many people am i willing to sacrifice for freedom?
Everyone. All of them...

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: TChunter] #2906470
09/17/19 09:58 AM
09/17/19 09:58 AM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Online content
12 point
Semo  Online Content
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by TChunter
After a lot of youtube and online review research I came to the conclusion that Stihl or Makita were the way to go for an electric chainsaw. They have immediate, high chain speed, sizable bars and are backed by reputable companies that are less succeptable to going bankrupt soon (no replacement parts, batteries, etc. available in the future). Other saws lack the chainspeed and power to quickly chew threw wood and you end up "bearing down" on the saw to get it to cut. I went with the Makita because the Stihl was more expensive and I could use the Makita battery system on other proven tools (I wasn't sold on how much I would use any other Stihl electric tools or that I would want to pony up the premium they were asking for tools to use around the farm and house). They both seemed to be comparable per the reviews I saw.

Below is the model I went with I believe. I didn't get (4) batteries so that could reduce the cost some from the model below.

The Makita worked great a few weekends trimming roads, tree stand locations and shooting lanes paired with a wireless sawzall and stihl gas pole saw. I was happy/surprised at what it could do. We also cut some firewood off of some downed oak tops that have been drying over the last year.

Make sure they dont forget to include your free tampons and pantie liners, that's a bonus they stiff you on with those types of orders.

funny. I have been thinking the same thing on this thread. they make a thing called a bow saw if an axe or hatchet is too heavy for you. my 4'11'' grandmother would swing a kaiserblade and an axe when she was I her 70's so I guess I have a different perspective. But she also was more of a woodsman who never would have sat in a shooting house.

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Beer Belly] #2906647
09/17/19 01:34 PM
09/17/19 01:34 PM
Ramer
ronfromramer Offline
10 point
ronfromramer  Offline
10 point
Ramer
I bought a kobalt 48v pole saw this spring. I keep it in my golf cart most of the time and use it a lot, used it this morning.
It impresses me every time I use it and I've never run the battery down on it. It lasts longer than I do when I use it.
I haven't cranked my stihl chainsaw since I bought the pole saw. I cut a 8" oak limb that had fallen on my son's work van the other day, went through it like butter. If the weather ever cools off maybe ill use it long enough to run the battery down, but I have my doubts, its pretty badazz

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Beer Belly] #2906722
09/17/19 02:57 PM
09/17/19 02:57 PM
B
bamahunt Offline
spike
bamahunt  Offline
spike
B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s0k1LdlA7Q

Some more documentation to stir the pot for TC. Makita makes some with larger bar than what is shown I believe.

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Semo] #2906728
09/17/19 03:03 PM
09/17/19 03:03 PM
Ramer
ronfromramer Offline
10 point
ronfromramer  Offline
10 point
Ramer
Originally Posted by Semo

Make sure they dont forget to include your free tampons and pantie liners, that's a bonus they stiff you on with those types of orders.

funny. I have been thinking the same thing on this thread. they make a thing called a bow saw if an axe or hatchet is too heavy for you. my 4'11'' grandmother would swing a kaiserblade and an axe when she was I her 70's so I guess I have a different perspective. But she also was more of a woodsman who never would have sat in a shooting house.

My dear departed daddy plowed behind a mule while growing up on a farm, I don't ever plan on giving up my tractor to toil behind a mule. Progress is called progress for a reason

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Beer Belly] #2906730
09/17/19 03:05 PM
09/17/19 03:05 PM
Hartselle, AL
trlrdrdave Offline
14 point
trlrdrdave  Offline
14 point
Hartselle, AL
I'm going to buy a Stihl battery one at some point. I used one for a couple hours. It impressed me. If I was cutting the bigger stuff i'd use gas. But I have 4 or 5 of them.

"In time of war, send me all the Alabamians you can get, but in time of peace, for Lord's sake, send them to somebody else." General Edward H. Plummer

"Blessed are those who, in the face of death, think only about the front sight." Jeff Cooper
Re: cordless chain saw [Re: ronfromramer] #2906767
09/17/19 03:35 PM
09/17/19 03:35 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Online content
12 point
Semo  Online Content
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by ronfromramer

My dear departed daddy plowed behind a mule while growing up on a farm, I don't ever plan on giving up my tractor to toil behind a mule. Progress is called progress for a reason

I think the proper comparison is that your daddy built muscle cars his whole life but you see the benefits of having a Prius. My comment was tongue and cheek, but if living in the south has taught me anything is a certain group of gentleman will avoid manual labor at all costs and some like to look pretty while using new equipment.

signed,
salt life wearing, yeti coolin', and electric chainsaw lovin' "country" boys everywhere

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: ronfromramer] #2906773
09/17/19 03:40 PM
09/17/19 03:40 PM
James Offline
Freak of Nature
James  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by ronfromramer

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

How many people am i willing to sacrifice for freedom?
Everyone. All of them...

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Beer Belly] #2906780
09/17/19 03:45 PM
09/17/19 03:45 PM
Mobile, AL
A
alhawk Offline
14 point
alhawk  Offline
14 point
A
Mobile, AL
They serve a purpose.
For clearing roads, my hedger attachment on my echo weed eater is really hard to beat.

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Beer Belly] #2906782
09/17/19 03:46 PM
09/17/19 03:46 PM
the Flatwoods
F
Fldoghunter Offline
6 point
Fldoghunter  Offline
6 point
F
the Flatwoods
I have used a cordless sawzall for that kind of thing. Maybe not as capable on bigger stuff as a chainsaw, but probably cheaper and would get used around the house more for other things.

May the sound of hounds never die!
Re: cordless chain saw [Re: timbercruiser] #2906790
09/17/19 04:01 PM
09/17/19 04:01 PM
Covington County, AL
Shhwing Offline
3 point
Shhwing  Offline
3 point
Covington County, AL
Originally Posted by timbercruiser
The handiest dang thing I have ever bought for use around the house and food plot work was a electric Lynx pole saw i got at Harbor Freight. I've cut 7" live oak limbs and everything else with it. For cutting limbs it can't be beat for the price..

I second the harbor freight saw that is a workaholic. thing is a awesome and ive had it over a year now with no issues. Trimmed all my ducking limbs out of the way so i wouldnt be smacked while cutting grass. my yard is over 5 acres of mixed pines, oaks and cedar trees. Ive spent hours on hours on this thing without issue up at the hunting camp trimming roads, shooting lanes, trails and around shooting houses and edges of food plots. Paid less than $200 for it. far as i see it instead of buying a $600 gas powered one im gonna run this cheapo till it dies then go get another one.

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Beer Belly] #2906801
09/17/19 04:16 PM
09/17/19 04:16 PM
Waverly, Ala
F
Festus Offline
4 point
Festus  Offline
4 point
F
Waverly, Ala
GOSH DAMN'...."BOYS"....Put Your Purses down and Burn some 2-Stroke GAS!! I still use 70's model BIG Chainsaws....5 to 8 Horsepower...and I'm 61!!!!!

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Beer Belly] #2906821
09/17/19 04:52 PM
09/17/19 04:52 PM
GA
UncleHuck Offline
10 point
UncleHuck  Offline
10 point
GA
This is almost as bad as the predictable gear tractor vs hydrostat, and you need a 50 HP plus tractor or you must be a puzzy crowd.

I have a really nice Dolmar gas saw, but if cordless as good as these today had been available, that's what I would have bought.

I also use cordless drills instead of a brace and bit, and circular saws instead of handsaws where appropriate. Some of my circular saws are cordless also. Recently finished a project where I made about 60 cuts in 2x4 and 2x6 lumber before I had to change the battery on my 6-1/2" Ryobi cordless circular saw. Hell of a lot more handy than dragging a 12 gauge extension cord 100+ feet to run a corded saw.

Edited to add - If somebody wants a smoking deal on a Dolmar PS510 with about 15 hours on it, let me know.

Last edited by UncleHuck; 09/17/19 04:57 PM.
Re: cordless chain saw [Re: UncleHuck] #2907079
09/17/19 09:32 PM
09/17/19 09:32 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Online content
12 point
Semo  Online Content
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by UncleHuck
This is almost as bad as the predictable gear tractor vs hydrostat, and you need a 50 HP plus tractor or you must be a puzzy crowd.

I have a really nice Dolmar gas saw, but if cordless as good as these today had been available, that's what I would have bought.

I also use cordless drills instead of a brace and bit, and circular saws instead of handsaws where appropriate. Some of my circular saws are cordless also. Recently finished a project where I made about 60 cuts in 2x4 and 2x6 lumber before I had to change the battery on my 6-1/2" Ryobi cordless circular saw. Hell of a lot more handy than dragging a 12 gauge extension cord 100+ feet to run a corded saw.

Edited to add - If somebody wants a smoking deal on a Dolmar PS510 with about 15 hours on it, let me know.

wish it was the 6400. lol I need something that will handle a 24 inch bar. But seriously, I do. I get the electric stuff can be handy, but can't we have some fun.

Re: cordless chain saw [Re: Festus] #2907135
09/17/19 10:24 PM
09/17/19 10:24 PM
Behind your shadow
R
Reloader79 Offline
Bitch Peas, I'm a Kitty Whisperer
Reloader79  Offline
Bitch Peas, I'm a Kitty Whisperer
R
Behind your shadow
Originally Posted by Festus
GOSH DAMN'...."BOYS"....Put Your Purses down and Burn some 2-Stroke GAS!! I still use 70's model BIG Chainsaws....5 to 8 Horsepower...and I'm 61!!!!!

Thatโ€™s a mans saw you got there! Some of them might want their saw to fit inside their purse!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Bluetick serpentines around green fields and rock spit a lease
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.