</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Rem model 7 stainless 300WSM
by Thread Killer. 04/19/24 09:04 AM
Mathews lift 29.5
by Bows4evr. 04/18/24 09:53 PM
Trade or sell
by buzzbait. 04/18/24 05:07 PM
95 Ford F250 HD
by Rudy. 04/18/24 02:15 PM
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by abolt300. 04/19/24 09:25 AM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
114 registered members (burbank, Justice, J_K, CKyleC, hallb, Joe4majors, Petey, BearBranch, zgobbler5, Andalusia, Fishduck, rhino21, crenshawco, Drake322, oldbowhunter, Keysbowman, KENT, scrubbuck, Beer Belly, goodman_hunter, kodiak06, mossyback, 7PTSPREAD, CarbonClimber1, BC, misfire, Bmyers142, Rolloverdave, Reaper, RareBreed, hamma, Zzzfog, rst87, Gav-n-Tn, Whild_Bill, Coosa1, bobbyc, duxlayer, Tree Dweller, Canterberry, Rainbowstew, KnightRyder, Squadron77, Whitebone, BPI, courseup, Quack Quack Bang, Cactus_buck, lthrstkg1, Deer Crossing, Morris, TexasHuntress, GmeHunter, lefthorn, Raven, geeb1, oakachoy, sanderson, El_Matador, abolt300, GomerPyle, Team_Stuckem, AJones, bug54, Downwind, Red Fox, dave260rem!, Redman3, Sixpointholler, StateLine, sportrep, Overland, Antelope08, UncleHuck, XVIII, BamaGuitarDude, chevydude2015, slippinlipjr, Lil_Fella, Mack1, GobbleGrunt, DGAMBLER, shootnmiss, thayerp81, Cahabariverrat, BurningBright, Safetyman, Geeb, YellaLineHunter, Jdkprp70, timberwolfe, jhardy, Sself161, Deerslayer33, Claims Rep., ALDawg, hunterturf, hayman, Turkeyhunter12, Fedex 1, Gunpowder, Powers, AU7MM08, huntndad, Luxfisher, Ray_Coon, turkey247, SwampHunter, 6 invisible), 753 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #2870383
08/05/19 03:16 PM
08/05/19 03:16 PM
Clear Springs, Al
S
stl32 Offline
4 point
stl32  Offline
4 point
S
Clear Springs, Al
Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
Originally Posted by stl32
MUST do it outside. Way to much smoke when you do it. HOT ass cast iron skillet ...

i should have re-read the instructions on here ... Friday night was the 3 month anniversary dating my new GF, so i decided to do some more blackened fish ... well, she not only got blackened fish, but she got a face full of the most billowous smoke i've ever seen in my LIFE!!! it was so cloudy inside my house i could barely make her out, sitting on my couch! HAHA!!

you damn RIGHT do it outside -- good GAWD! having said all that, the fish was AWESOME (fresh grouper from the Gulf) - but we ate it outside on my porch while the smoke boiled out the windows of my house laugh rofl

This just made my day, the visual picture of it going down play by play is classic.

Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: N2TRKYS] #2870579
08/05/19 06:38 PM
08/05/19 06:38 PM
USA
R
Remington270 Offline
Freak of Nature
Remington270  Offline
Freak of Nature
R
USA
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
Stick of butter in a skillet. Both sides of fish coated with Zateran's seasoning. Cook to your liking and serve with rice pilaf.

A lot of ways to do it, this is just the way I do it.

That's the way I do it too. Very good.

Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #2871026
08/06/19 05:50 AM
08/06/19 05:50 AM
North AL
A
AU338MAG Offline
Old Mossy Horns
AU338MAG  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
A
North AL
MUST do it outside. Way to much smoke when you do it. HOT ass cast iron skillet ...

i should have re-read the instructions on here ... Friday night was the 3 month anniversary dating my new GF, so i decided to do some more blackened fish ... well, she not only got blackened fish, but she got a face full of the most billowous smoke i've ever seen in my LIFE!!! it was so cloudy inside my house i could barely make her out, sitting on my couch! HAHA!!

you damn RIGHT do it outside -- good GAWD! having said all that, the fish was AWESOME (fresh grouper from the Gulf) - but we ate it outside on my porch while the smoke boiled out the windows of my house laugh rofl

LMAO. rofl

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe
Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #2871174
08/06/19 09:36 AM
08/06/19 09:36 AM
AL
BamaGuitarDude Online content OP
12 point
BamaGuitarDude  Online Content OP
12 point
AL
rofl i will say this -- we've gotten a REAL GOOD LAUGH about the events of Friday nite ... hehehe ... she was a good sport about it, and thankfully -- the meal was SUPERB!! man, grouper is fantastic

when i screw up, i like to do it to epic proportions! wink

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 08/06/19 01:29 PM.

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #2878974
08/15/19 07:09 AM
08/15/19 07:09 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
rofl i will say this -- we've gotten a REAL GOOD LAUGH about the events of Friday nite ... hehehe ... she was a good sport about it, and thankfully -- the meal was SUPERB!! man, grouper is fantastic

Did it stink up your house? I won't blacken fish on the back porch where I grill because of the risk of the skillet falling off and starting a fire. So I always do it on the carport. One time I asked my wife to move her car before I cooked and she barely got it off the concrete. The result was that the smoke got into the car and left a fish odor that we could not get out. It still smelled when we traded it.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2879242
08/15/19 01:11 PM
08/15/19 01:11 PM
AL
12 point
12 point
AL
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

Did it stink up your house? I won't blacken fish on the back porch where I grill because of the risk of the skillet falling off and starting a fire. So I always do it on the carport. One time I asked my wife to move her car before I cooked and she barely got it off the concrete. The result was that the smoke got into the car and left a fish odor that we could not get out. It still smelled when we traded it.

wow - for real?? my house smells fine now actually ... you must blacken and blue yours, Preach!!! wink

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: lefthorn] #2879505
08/15/19 06:25 PM
08/15/19 06:25 PM
Lickskillet, AL
Irishguy Offline
a.k.a. Dingle Johnson
Irishguy  Offline
a.k.a. Dingle Johnson
Lickskillet, AL
Originally Posted by lefthorn
MUST do it outside. Way to much smoke when you do it. HOT ass cast iron skillet, run the fish in some melted butter then a very heavy coat of your favorite blacken seasoning. I like Paul Purdomes. Next into the hot dry skillet. It will smoke like a SOB, only takes a little time on each side. Only flip once, the more you flip them the more of a chance of having your seasoning come off.

This is the TRUE way to blacken fish

This^^^^

I will add that grape seed oil has an extremely high smoke point and can be put in the pan for some types of blackening.

Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #2882500
08/19/19 01:49 PM
08/19/19 01:49 PM
Sylacauga, AL
Booner
Booner
Sylacauga, AL

wow - for real?? my house smells fine now actually ... you must blacken and blue yours, Preach!!! wink

If you did it inside the house, my guess is that you didn't get it nearly as hot as what I do. I set the fish cooker as hot as it will go and preheat the skillet about 5 minutes before dropping in the first of the fish. It creates so much smoke that I can't see the fish for the first 30 seconds or so, and it is an amazing amount of smoke. There is no way that you would watch that and then decide to do that inside the house.

I didn't realize that the smoke was going into the car until it was all over. My wife, of course, blamed me for stinking up her car. I tried to blame her for not getting out far enough, but that didn't work. We make sure that the vehicles are way out of the way since then.

Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2882509
08/19/19 02:01 PM
08/19/19 02:01 PM
AL
12 point
12 point
AL

If you did it inside the house, my guess is that you didn't get it nearly as hot as what I do. I set the fish cooker as hot as it will go and preheat the skillet about 5 minutes before dropping in the first of the fish. It creates so much smoke that I can't see the fish for the first 30 seconds or so, and it is an amazing amount of smoke. There is no way that you would watch that and then decide to do that inside the house.

I didn't realize that the smoke was going into the car until it was all over. My wife, of course, blamed me for stinking up her car. I tried to blame her for not getting out far enough, but that didn't work. We make sure that the vehicles are way out of the way since then.

i dunno man ... i heated up my cast iron to 500 degrees in the oven, and then brought it to my eye that was on HI ... if that ain't hot enough, i dunno what is -- the smoke it generated was exactly as you described above -- so much that i couldn't see the fish ... i was swatting the smoke w/my spatula to try & see it ...

i guess i'm thankful it didn't stick around -- goodness!! maybe grouper smoke smells better than whatever it was you cooked ??!! LOL that is funny about your wife & you blaming each other -- i'm sure that'd make for a great sermon on forgiveness wink haha

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 08/19/19 02:03 PM.

Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #2882599
08/19/19 04:17 PM
08/19/19 04:17 PM
Sylacauga, AL
Booner
Booner
Sylacauga, AL

Sounds like that would have made a lot of fishy smoke, so count yourself lucky that it didn't leave a bad odor. smile

I still think that your oven and stove eye didn't get the skillet as hot as a propane fish cooker will get it. That's likely a moot point if we just talking about smoke, but I do think that a fish cooker works a lot better than a stove for blackening. I think my cooker is rated at 55,000 BTU, and I don't think most stove eyes come close to that. I have found that a Coleman stove will work, but I can tell it doesn't get nearly as hot as it does with the fish cooker.

I don't know how hot the flame is on a propane fish cooker, and Google doesn't seem to know either. Anyone know?

Last edited by poorcountrypreacher; 08/19/19 04:18 PM.

Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #2883920
08/21/19 06:23 AM
08/21/19 06:23 AM
Florida
P
Peach Offline
10 point
Peach  Offline
10 point
P
Florida
I melt butter, lemon juice and olive oil and dip the fish in and place it on a hot cast iron skillet, outside! Season heavily to your liking.

Re: Q: How To Blacken Fish? [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2884041
08/21/19 08:49 AM
08/21/19 08:49 AM
AL
12 point
12 point
AL
Sounds like that would have made a lot of fishy smoke, so count yourself lucky that it didn't leave a bad odor. smile

yes sir, based on your story, i do consider myself VERY lucky!!! the minute i saw it smoking so heavily, i got very worried! it was funny - but not really! LOL

I still think that your oven and stove eye didn't get the skillet as hot as a propane fish cooker will get it. That's likely a moot point if we just talking about smoke, but I do think that a fish cooker works a lot better than a stove for blackening.

no doubt about this at all -- 100% agree, and i WILL be doing ALL blackening outside from now on ... away from my vehicles, too! wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.