</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Ruger M77 6mm heavy barrel with Nikon Monarch
by bradbathome. 03/27/24 04:42 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Frankie. 03/28/24 04:46 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
128 registered members (WDE, mossyback, Coosa buck, fur_n_feathers, 3006bullet, TEM, BamaPlowboy, PossumPecker, BCLC, Herbie, fillmore, Safetyman, GHTiger10, slanddeerhunter, Beak_Buster, courseup, jawbone, Joe4majors, jwalker77, HHSyelper, bward85, goodman_hunter, Showout, CNC, Rooster600, BigEd, twaldrop4, Drycreek, BAR1225, Rem870s2, Butchman205, Floorman1, Big Al, MarksOutdoors, deerfeeder89, BCD, Remington270, mzzy, doghouse, cartervj, BrentsFX4, !shiloh!, Squeaky, Jmoore77, Andalusia, bamaguzzi, Mbrock, BentBarrel, Rainbowstew, Possum Hunter, klay, bowkl, firemandc, ImThere, mjs14, Dubie, GATA87, centralala, Deesskuchen10, Reaper, Atoler, sportrep, desertdog, Gobble4me757, CarbonClimber1, wareagle22, SC53, Swamp Monkey, 3Gs, Noler_Swamp, trlrdrdave, Strictlybow, Cousneddy, Fullthrottle, Jweeks, cmontgomery, oldbowhunter, Okalona, treemydog, brushwhacker, mashburn, laylandad, 300gr, MS_Hunter, AustinC, jaydub12, taggedout, Paint Rock 00, akbejeepin, canichols424, HappyHunter, JRF, stuball, Fishbones, HOWTON21, BradB, Scout308, CKyleC, ridgestalker, sanderson, Turkey, Snuffy, Bread, aucountry, curt99rsv, Chaser1, 700ltr308, low wall, Young20, Beer Belly, Forrestgump1, jake44, Whitetaillane, 15 invisible), 547 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Season Dates [Re: sj22] #2862472
07/27/19 02:56 PM
07/27/19 02:56 PM
North central Alabama
D
DP1975 Offline
spike
DP1975  Offline
spike
D
North central Alabama
As expected you cannot answer the two questions. When did KY move there season to start two weeks later?When did Georgia. When did Ky have a season start date in March? KY has a different breeding season timing than Alabama. Georgia still has a season that starts in March same as the last 15 years that I know of. I’ll answer this for you NO state has pushed there season forward for 3 or more years and studied its effect on the population. So since you have admitted your full of BS I’ll have to forget your made up reasoning and go back to giving the new season a chance to work. Apparently most of you will be unable to kill one with the season change and the mortality of grown Gobblers is pretty low yearly with the exception of hunting kills. We should be knee deep in longbeards in about two years or maybe not. If this doesn’t work then we will move on to your idea.....oh wait you have no idea of how to help the population... now what? Well we can all sit in front of a computer and whine about it clearly that is the only acceptable solution.

Re: Season Dates [Re: DP1975] #2862474
07/27/19 02:59 PM
07/27/19 02:59 PM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
10 point
turkey247  Offline
10 point
LASW
Originally Posted by DP1975
As expected you cannot answer the two questions. When did KY move there season to start two weeks later?When did Georgia. When did Ky have a season start date in March? KY has a different breeding season timing than Alabama. Georgia still has a season that starts in March same as the last 15 years that I know of. I’ll answer this for you NO state has pushed there season forward for 3 or more years and studied its effect on the population. So since you have admitted your full of BS I’ll have to forget your made up reasoning and go back to giving the new season a chance to work. Apparently most of you will be unable to kill one with the season change and the mortality of grown Gobblers is pretty low yearly with the exception of hunting kills. We should be knee deep in longbeards in about two years or maybe not. If this doesn’t work then we will move on to your idea.....oh wait you have no idea of how to help the population... now what? Well we can all sit in front of a computer and whine about it clearly that is the only acceptable solution.

Man you are real slow

Re: Season Dates [Re: turkey247] #2862478
07/27/19 03:02 PM
07/27/19 03:02 PM
Jacksonville,AL
alight1983 Offline
6 point
alight1983  Offline
6 point
Jacksonville,AL
It's been 15th for a while they changed it from the 20th I believe and I don't think it's causing a decrease in numbers. How bout you just leave it alone. It's so damn hot by April 20th it's starting to get miserable. My opinion. I'm done.

The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness.

Tom Kelly
Re: Season Dates [Re: sj22] #2862481
07/27/19 03:09 PM
07/27/19 03:09 PM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
10 point
turkey247  Offline
10 point
LASW
Let’s go back to GA.

AL start date for recent past - M15.
GA start date for recent past - averages 7-10 days later depending on calendar.

AL limit - 5
GA limit - 3

Let’s say powers that be in AL wanted to do a study. Assumption needed to help population was to push season back a week or 10 days and lower the limit. But we need a study to prove it works. Oh look, here’s a neighbor state, same latitude, same terrain and vegetation, same turkey. They are basically doing a huge study area for you for years. And it’s proving NOTHING. Populations not trending upward. Hunting not any better overall. No difference.

So we the minions should set idly by and say nothing. Not me.

Re: Season Dates [Re: DP1975] #2862484
07/27/19 03:14 PM
07/27/19 03:14 PM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
10 point
turkey247  Offline
10 point
LASW
Apparently most of you will be unable to kill one with the season change

Yep, you got us rofl

Re: Season Dates [Re: sj22] #2862516
07/27/19 04:17 PM
07/27/19 04:17 PM
North central Alabama
D
DP1975 Offline
spike
DP1975  Offline
spike
D
North central Alabama
Your comparison is so stupid as too not even be laughable. Why not look to the west at Mississippi? Their season starts mid March and they have a lower population than Alabama always have...same comparison but still just as stupid. You went too the trouble of posting your emoji about me saying you probably won’t kill another turkey. If the season change is not going to affect a virtual modern day Daniel Boone like yourself then what are you crying about? If the season change will stop you from killing one then I’m right ...you can’t have it both ways lol. You may as well dry up the tears this is the new season deal with it. I doubt any of your whining will make any difference to the state of Alabama.

Re: Season Dates [Re: DP1975] #2862659
07/27/19 07:26 PM
07/27/19 07:26 PM
Chelsea
lectrode Offline
10 point
lectrode  Offline
10 point
Chelsea
I have read a lot of the research about the season timing. Basically using averages for hen nest start dates they have determined most of the Gobblers were being killed before the breeding season had finished and hens started their nest. And yes everyone knows one Gobbler can breed multiple hens, but hunting pressure during the breeding season and fewer Gobblers to do the breeding can leave hens unbred. As for as Lovett Williams...I have read everyone of his books and don’t recall him saying a later season would be detrimental. The “theory” that hens will abandon nests if disturbed is redicoulous I’ve flushed hens from their nest and the next day they were right back on them. There is a difference in repeatedly spooking a hen off the first 3 or 4 eggs and flushing one after incubation begins. Once they have a full clutch and have started the incubation they will return they have too much invested. If they get flushed several times off the first few eggs they will usually abandon that partial nest because it is obviously in a poor location, they will try again in another spot. How many of those complaining about the season change regularly kill a 5 Gobbler limit? And of those how many kill all 5 in the first two weeks? If you are one of the majority that never kills 5 and usually 2or 3 in a good year, you probably have been hunting them in the later part of the season anyway and a week or two either way will not make a difference. I will not go into details but anyone that hunts everyday of the season, which I have done for years, will already know about the peaks of gobbling activity, the Gobbling Lull and the difference in Gobbler behavior before during and after the breeding season. If you are a part timer that has been hunting turkeys for 30 years but only have maybe 5 seasons total worth of days in the woods I can see why you would think a week or two will ruin your season.
Would everyone prefer they do nothing and let the turkeys slide off into oblivion. If you have real documented researched facts of why this won’t work and what your research has proven to be better, let’s hear it otherwise you’ll have to adapt your hunting tactics. Missing the early season will affect the strutter decoy crowd the most because the pecking order will be established before the season opens and the fighting will be mostly over. The chufa patch “hunters” will probably not notice a difference as turkeys will still be eating, but then again chufa patch sitters don’t notice much anyway sitting in a tent all day staring at a bait field. As for those that made the remarks about season dates only being a suggestion you have proven you don’t care about what’s best for the Wild Turkey you just want to say you killed one.....sad.

Lighten up Francis, it was a joke........ Sort of

You haven't been blocked until you've been flock blocked!!!
Re: Season Dates [Re: sj22] #2862810
07/27/19 09:56 PM
07/27/19 09:56 PM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL

Paragraphs are your friend.

Lovett Williams used to have a forum on Old Gobbler where he answered questions from hunters and discussed most any issue related to the wild turkey. It was on that forum that he discussed how he was concerned that a later season would do more harm than good. None of the readers at the time had the nerve to tell him it was a "rediculous" idea.

I've personally bumped a hen off a nest when hunting in GA in May. There was already a full clutch of eggs and she didn't return that day or the next, so I have always suspected that I ruined that one. Williams said this happens frequently and he had the research to prove it. I honestly don't feel qualified to say, but he had the reputation of somebody who should know.

I love it when someone uses the line that if we don't embrace every proposed change to a system that has worked great for 60 years, then we just don't love the wild turkey. Sheesh

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Season Dates [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2863015
07/28/19 08:30 AM
07/28/19 08:30 AM
North central Alabama
D
DP1975 Offline
spike
DP1975  Offline
spike
D
North central Alabama
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

Paragraphs are your friendSheesh

Reading comprehension is a better friend and won’t leave you looking like a moron.
First off Lovetts responses to turkey questions are still up on OG there’s only two pages worth and none of the questions or responses said anything about a later season doing harm. None of Lovetts books said it either. The man has been dead over 5 years I don’t recall any state attempting to move the season forward 5 years ago so we’re would the question have originated?
As for my comment about people not caring about the welfare of the Wild Turkey it was directed at those that stated the new season was just a suggestion, implying they would hunt as they wanted. It was clear in my post....it’s your lack of comprehension that makes you think it was directed to anyone else.
What about this whole thing is confusing y’all so much? No state has moved the season forward long enough to know if it will benifit the population. Asking for proof that a later season will help before anyone has actually done it is stupid. Who stands to gain from this season move? Do some of you really believe the state has moved the season for some monitory gain lol? Ol Turkey247 said “follow the money” lol what money who’s paying anyone to move the season? Most of you aren’t even making good nonsense with your arguments. No one has any other suggestions about what could be done just cry and whine. Would you feel better if the state done nothing, and then you’d really have something to cry about.

Re: Season Dates [Re: sj22] #2863024
07/28/19 08:44 AM
07/28/19 08:44 AM
Central, Al
Bustinbeards Offline
Booner
Bustinbeards  Offline
Booner
Central, Al
I see Dp1975 has read the book “how to win friends and influence people.” popcorn

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
Well, the way I see it is there's just too many assholes
On a good day there's a bunch of assholes in here. On a bad day there's too many assholes in here.
Re: Season Dates [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2863034
07/28/19 08:52 AM
07/28/19 08:52 AM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.

Lovett Williams used to have a forum on Old Gobbler where he answered questions from hunters and discussed most any issue related to the wild turkey. It was on that forum that he discussed how he was concerned that a later season would do more harm than good. None of the readers at the time had the nerve to tell him it was a "rediculous" idea.

I've personally bumped a hen off a nest when hunting in GA in May. There was already a full clutch of eggs and she didn't return that day or the next, so I have always suspected that I ruined that one. Williams said this happens frequently and he had the research to prove it. I honestly don't feel qualified to say, but he had the reputation of somebody who should know.

I love it when someone uses the line that if we don't embrace every proposed change to a system that has worked great for 60 years, then we just don't love the wild turkey. Sheesh

Do you think that she renested?

83% of all statistics are made up.

Re: Season Dates [Re: DP1975] #2863051
07/28/19 09:12 AM
07/28/19 09:12 AM
A
Atoler Online content
14 point
Atoler  Online Content
14 point
A

Reading comprehension is a better friend and won’t leave you looking like a moron.
First off Lovetts responses to turkey questions are still up on OG there’s only two pages worth and none of the questions or responses said anything about a later season doing harm. None of Lovetts books said it either. The man has been dead over 5 years I don’t recall any state attempting to move the season forward 5 years ago so we’re would the question have originated?
As for my comment about people not caring about the welfare of the Wild Turkey it was directed at those that stated the new season was just a suggestion, implying they would hunt as they wanted. It was clear in my post....it’s your lack of comprehension that makes you think it was directed to anyone else.
What about this whole thing is confusing y’all so much? No state has moved the season forward long enough to know if it will benifit the population. Asking for proof that a later season will help before anyone has actually done it is stupid. Who stands to gain from this season move? Do some of you really believe the state has moved the season for some monitory gain lol? Ol Turkey247 said “follow the money” lol what money who’s paying anyone to move the season? Most of you aren’t even making good nonsense with your arguments. No one has any other suggestions about what could be done just cry and whine. Would you feel better if the state done nothing, and then you’d really have something to cry about.

If there is a population decline, what is the cause of it?

It’s certainly not hunting or harvest. Here is why. Every state in the south has a rumored decline. Some of these states have early starts, some have late. Some have liberal limits, some have 2 bird limits. Some have long seasons, some have short. All of them have less hunters in the woods than they did 20 years ago, if chuck is to be believed. Does that not test all theories of hunters and kills affecting poult production. ?

We have 60 years of wildly successful track record to look back on in Alabama, why would someone’s first assumption be that the same wildly successful system is broken?

Re: Season Dates [Re: Atoler] #2863072
07/28/19 09:34 AM
07/28/19 09:34 AM
North central Alabama
D
DP1975 Offline
spike
DP1975  Offline
spike
D
North central Alabama
Originally Posted by Atoler

If there is a population decline, what is the cause of it?

It’s certainly not hunting or harvest. Here is why. Every state in the south has a rumored decline. Some of these states have early starts, some have late. Some have liberal limits, some have 2 bird limits. Some have long seasons, some have short. All of them have less hunters in the woods than they did 20 years ago, if chuck is to be believed. Does that not test all theories of hunters and kills affecting poult production. ?

We have 60 years of wildly successful track record to look back on in Alabama, why would someone’s first assumption be that the same wildly successful system is broken?

Can You name a state that doesn’t start their season before breeding is done? Do you know for a fact killing off most of the Gobblers before they have bred is not the reason for the decline? If Alabama has a wildly successful turkey population why all the complaining about it. If there’s so many Alabama turkeys why can some of you only kill them in a narrow two week window? And no the fact that every southeastern state has started their season before most of the breeding is done, does not test all theories of hunters contributing to the decline. It actually is the opposite every state following the same plan every state seeing a decline. Whatever the problem is it is not isolated.
It’s pretty clear Alabama’s system is no longer wildly successful that would be my guess as to why they are trying to do something lol.

Re: Season Dates [Re: sj22] #2863075
07/28/19 09:37 AM
07/28/19 09:37 AM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
Gmo corn making em sterile

Quietly killing turkeys where youre not!!!
My tank full of give a fraks been runnin on empty
I'm the paterfamilias
Re: Season Dates [Re: Bustinbeards] #2863124
07/28/19 10:51 AM
07/28/19 10:51 AM
Chelsea
lectrode Offline
10 point
lectrode  Offline
10 point
Chelsea
Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
I see Dp1975 has read the book “how to win friends and influence people.” popcorn

Yeah ol Chuck didn't learn much about paragraphing while down at the barn.

Re: Season Dates [Re: sj22] #2863140
07/28/19 11:13 AM
07/28/19 11:13 AM
Chelsea
lectrode Offline
10 point
lectrode  Offline
10 point
Chelsea
I think one factor in the decline is the extreme efficiency of today's guns and shells. Got nothing to do with how long you can hunt them. It's just easier to kill one today than 5 or 10 years ago. You want to see a turkey explosion ban guns for a few years and hunt them like Chucky with traditional archery. And before y'all lose your minds, I say this last part TIC.

Re: Season Dates [Re: N2TRKYS] #2863219
07/28/19 01:25 PM
07/28/19 01:25 PM
Sylacauga, AL
Booner
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

No idea

Re: Season Dates [Re: DP1975] #2863238
07/28/19 02:10 PM
07/28/19 02:10 PM
Sylacauga, AL
Booner
Booner
Sylacauga, AL

There is still about 9 months of the Lovett Williams forum on OG, but he did that for several years. The site owner may still have it archived if you are really interested. The question he answered came up in a response to a hunter who had the idea that the season should be changed to just what we are seeing now. This was about 10 years ago, so I can't remember exactly how he worded it, but he was very humble about it as he always was in his answers. He thought it possible that hunters bumping setting hens could cause more harm than any possible gain from a later season.

That surprised me, and that's one reason I still remember it. I asked about it on this forum and it was discussed by several of the biologists who used to hang out on here. There was no consensus, but I did become more aware of the issue of nest abandonment after that. And I have noticed that several times since when I have spooked a setting hen she did not return. Quite often, these encounters were with me on the tractor, and that would probably make it worse than just a hunter. And I would also say that there has been times when the hen did return.

I have posted this before, but I will put it in this thread so you will see it. I don't believe that any tract I have ever hunted has a problem with hens not being bred due to the lack of a gobbler. When I am seeing and hearing gobblers through the season and on into the summer, common sense will tell you that any perceived problem with reproduction must be due to something else. I don't doubt that there may be some places with low populations where the lack of a gobbler is a real problem; it just isn't happening on my places.

In fact, there is no problem period with turkey populations and trends on the tracts I hunt. I have been blessed to hunt one property every season since 1963, and the past 5 years has been the best period we've ever experienced. I have spent unreasonable amounts of my own money and time to grow turkeys, and it has worked. My career as a turkey hunter is nearing it's end, but I don't want to see AL lose the wonderful system of turkey management that we enjoy.

And just so you know, I joined aldeer in 2002 and have killed an AL.limit every year since except one. I had some health issues in 2012 and got only 4 that year. I have also traveled extensively and killed quite a few in other states. From what you have posted, I think we use similar hunting methods. I believe AL has the best turkey hunting in the nation, and I want to do my part to see that continue.

There are many great turkey hunters and conservationists on this forum, and you have reached some very false conclusions about them. My advice is to tone down the name calling and you would probably enjoy hanging out here. Good luck with your hunting.

Re: Season Dates [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2863239
07/28/19 02:11 PM
07/28/19 02:11 PM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.

No idea

This is why I’ve always been against large scale, late season burning.

83% of all statistics are made up.

Re: Season Dates [Re: N2TRKYS] #2863249
07/28/19 02:19 PM
07/28/19 02:19 PM
Sylacauga, AL
Booner
Booner
Sylacauga, AL

No idea

This is why I’ve always been against large scale, late season burning.

I agree, especially since you said "large scale." Mr. Sykes addressed that issue in his last column in the Co-op magazine. He essentially said that they knew that they were destroying nests, but the improvement in habitat was worth the sacrifice..I have done May burns on blocks of less than 100 acres and thought it was worth it. But there has to be a size at which the sacrifice is too much. Got an opinion on what that might be?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.